Regret your 3/4?

My mistake. I historically follow what the truck "tells me to do on the DIC". It's implying change the "fuel" filter at approx 50K. Based upon your/ya'lls comments, I went back and read the manual. It's says "22,500" or less if needed. Clearly, I missed that section. (old eyes?) I will be getting the filter changed on Monday. Thanks for the heads up. I think the comment, "once a year.." is not a bad idea. Anyway, I love the truck and can't see me ever going back to a 1500 series. Again, thanks.

The 22,500 only falls under Special ApplicationServices. Essentially it's a severe service schedule per the dealer. No harm but not necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from a 2007 Yukon XL Denali to a 2014 5.3 max trailer tow to a 2015 2500 Duramax.

My only regret was not going to a 3500 srw Duramax. My 07 got 12 city 18 hwy (78mph). The 14 was a weird one summer mileage was 15/18 but winter was 9 city...No joke 9. That fuel enrichment crap to light off the cats is worse IMO than diesel emissions.

The Duramax OTOH gets 15 city and 21 hwy @ 75....18 @ 80. Oil changes ~7500 using T6. I've put 45K on the truck in the last 1 1/2 years and have 24% left on my FF. Scheduling an appt to CHG the atf/filter.

Why I regret my choice? When towing, the 14 was grossing 7600 (400 over). Same trailer same load I'm at 10k on the scale. 3500 srw would have given me better margins.

Fuel filtration is substantially more critical with diesel than many are used to with gas engines. There really is no problem with changing the filter every 10,000 miles if one had a mind to do so. When they plug up in cold weather combined with higher levels of biodiesel in cold weather is not the time to realize that the filter should have been changed more frequently. While I don't have a Dmax, for all my other diesels there are ALWAYS spare fuel filters close by. It seems to happen that it does need changed at the most inopportune times. I would always have a spare fuel filter stashed in the pickup (along with whatever tools one needs) somewhere for those inopportune events if they crop up. You might get into a shop, but not a dealer shop, or you might have to do it at home or roadside. Not a good time to realize you don't have and can't get a replacement fuel filter and are going to have to sit till you can. If you never run into a fuel filter issue, consider yourself one of the lucky few.

In the early 90s I got bad fuel at a truck stop in my 91 dodge on the way to a demo in Florida. I was in a hurry so lucky for me I had serval fuel filters. First one lasted a hundred miles and gradually got better from there. I was pulling via goose neck my demo machine and running close to red line in forth gear. Carry spare fuel filters is a must with deisels.

Was looking at my previous post. "Cummings". I hate spell checkers sometimes! Seems like I am always having to go back and change spelling because some stupid spellchecker has changed it.

Fuel filtration is substantially more critical with diesel than many are used to with gas engines. There really is no problem with changing the filter every 10,000 miles if one had a mind to do so. When they plug up in cold weather combined with higher levels of biodiesel in cold weather is not the time to realize that the filter should have been changed more frequently. While I don't have a Dmax, for all my other diesels there are ALWAYS spare fuel filters close by. It seems to happen that it does need changed at the most inopportune times. I would always have a spare fuel filter stashed in the pickup (along with whatever tools one needs) somewhere for those inopportune events if they crop up. You might get into a shop, but not a dealer shop, or you might have to do it at home or roadside. Not a good time to realize you don't have and can't get a replacement fuel filter and are going to have to sit till you can. If you never run into a fuel filter issue, consider yourself one of the lucky few.

Reminds me of what a chap said years ago after I lost the awning off my TT down in Indy during an high wind event. "There's those that have lost awnings and those that are going to."

Looks like the majority of you guys who went from a 1500 to a duramax never looked back.

I like the duramax all accept for that huge DEF tank that hangs down. Which sucks.

However I did just buy amp powersteps for my 1500 crew cab.

Is the 2500 cab and 1500 cab the same? That if I got a 2500 I could put those steps on it?

Love all this great input.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do carry an extra filter, wrench and a small tool kit to effect repairs. I don't find much in the way of bio diesel here thankfully. I do see it on the way to OKC though. I usually add a quart of diesel kleen when i use bio.

Looks like the majority of you guys who went from a 1500 to a duramax never looked back.

I like the duramax all accept for that huge DEF tank that hangs down. Which sucks.

However I did just buy amp powersteps for my 1500 crew cab.

Is the 2500 cab and 1500 cab the same? That if I got a 2500 I could put those steps on it?

Love all this great input.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep with no issues

You might be surprised on the Biodiesel thing. There is no requirement to label diesel that has bio in it if it is less than 5%. B2 (2%) has been extremely common for much of the nation for quite some time. Not that there is any mandate for the product by EPA or others, just that there has been a biodiesel blender tax credit in place for quite a while and many entities are taking advantage of that. So what ends up happening is that the majority of the diesel in the country actually does have some bio in it. You just don't see any labeling that it does because it hasn't reached the threshold of 5%.

But it really isn't a bad thing. Some equate ethanol with biodiesel and they are different critters. A 2% bio blend provides substantially more lubricity in diesel fuel (a good thing) than any additive on the shelf can do. Hey, additional lubricity for the same price! It brings the lubricity of the ULSD fuel up to Pre-LSD levels. Great for fuel pumps. So biodiesel is not a terrible thing. It just has to be accounted for in extreme weather. A good anti-gel product that also addresses biofuel is prudent prevention in cold weather.

You might be surprised on the Biodiesel thing. There is no requirement to label diesel that has bio in it if it is less than 5%. B2 (2%) has been extremely common for much of the nation for quite some time. Not that there is any mandate for the product by EPA or others, just that there has been a biodiesel blender tax credit in place for quite a while and many entities are taking advantage of that. So what ends up happening is that the majority of the diesel in the country actually does have some bio in it. You just don't see any labeling that it does because it hasn't reached the threshold of 5%.

But it really isn't a bad thing. Some equate ethanol with biodiesel and they are different critters. A 2% bio blend provides substantially more lubricity in diesel fuel (a good thing) than any additive on the shelf can do. Hey, additional lubricity for the same price! It brings the lubricity of the ULSD fuel up to Pre-LSD levels. Great for fuel pumps. So biodiesel is not a terrible thing. It just has to be accounted for in extreme weather. A good anti-gel product that also addresses biofuel is prudent prevention in cold weather.

Didn't know that... Thanks! Know anything about premium diesel?

Premium Diesel just basically means that the retailer has put some additive in the diesel fuel. Schaeffer Diesel Treat additive is the primary stuff that stations will put in. Think of it as similar to Top Tier gasoline.

Here's the other way around.

I regret getting rid of my diesel (LML).

Tried a 15 6.2 8speed (but wasn't patient enough to wait for the NHT originally ordered, so change order to get it built without).

Currently in 5.3/8speed/NHT at 31,000 or so miles. Pulled an enclosed V-nose tandem trailer from Port Huron to Phoenix last winter with it. Well within tow rating for truck. Ran a interstate speed (0 to +8 over). Most tanks went 8 or 9 mpg. Always able to maintain freeway speed, but I was only in 8th gear for a very few miles, rarely in 7th, most of the time in 5th or 6th. Once in awhile it dropped to 4th. I guess what I'm saying is it did the job -- never had any temp issues with engine or trans, but it was very unpleasant compared to what I was used to with the LML.

Now that the new L5P's are released, I'm giving serious consideration going back to an HD, and the diesel.

Here's the other way around.

I regret getting rid of my diesel (LML).

Tried a 15 6.2 8speed (but wasn't patient enough to wait for the NHT originally ordered, so change order to get it built without).

Currently in 5.3/8speed/NHT at 31,000 or so miles. Pulled an enclosed V-nose tandem trailer from Port Huron to Phoenix last winter with it. Well within tow rating for truck. Ran a interstate speed (0 to +8 over). Most tanks went 8 or 9 mpg. Always able to maintain freeway speed, but I was only in 8th gear for a very few miles, rarely in 7th, most of the time in 5th or 6th. Once in awhile it dropped to 4th. I guess what I'm saying is it did the job -- never had any temp issues with engine or trans, but it was very unpleasant compared to what I was used to with the LML.

Now that the new L5P's are released, I'm giving serious consideration going back to an HD, and the diesel.

I guess you could say, that yes the 5.3/8 speed combo can tow, but is its intended use towing? What are the gear ratios in the 8 speed (how many ODs does it have?)

I noticed that w/ the 6 speed in the gassers, the gearing jumps from 1.15 (in 4th) to .85 (in 5th). Sometimes I wish when I driving around town that there was a 1:1 gear (more so in my '11 since it had the 3.73s). Also with that truck (unloaded) I only used 6th on the freeway if I was going 60 or faster. If I was doing 50 on a highway w/ moderate and/or short hills, I had to keep the trans' in 5th. If the truck was in 6th, it would downshift @ the slightest grade (even when empty).

I've got an lml I could sell ya! Was looking at an l5p this morning. Couldn't justify bugging a sales guy seeing as I just cannot buy one right now, but if one were to approach I'd go for a test drive if offered. But never saw one guy even attempt to head over in the 15 min I was there. I'll wait until they are more plentiful around here and bug someone when I find one that's compatible to my lml. They are still very far and few between locally.

Archived