2017 Max Trailering Built to Order

Getting ready for a trip from Michigan to North Carolina. I will be towing my enclosed tool trailer full of my daughter's stuff. It's not going to be a huge heavy load but it will be my first time towing through mountains and hills. Looking forward to that part although I hope to have some of the shake gone beforehand. Going to try road force balancing this week.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to the real world mpg difference between having a bed tonneau cover and and not having one.

My vehicle:

2017 GMC Sierra 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, 6.2l, V8, short box, max trailering package and a 26 galllon gas tank.

As for my mileage, I'm getting 15 to 16 with city/hwy mix (no tonneau cover, camper shell, load or trailer).

I did get 23.01mpg doing the math and 24.3mpg per the DIC, with the first 491.7 miles which were all highway. (Check out my avatar for the proof) This was done in one trip, varying speed for motor break in and keeping it below 70 and on one gas tank run.

23mpg was okay, but sure do wish I could get close to that around town and not 6 to 7mph less. I like that I got 500 miles on a tank on the long open road, but around town it's closer to hi 300s per tank.

The only issue I have with my truck functionally is the cornball antics of the first few gears. Sometimes it shifts like butter up or down with 1st and 2nd. Other times it acts goofy with minor clunkiness in those same gears. Having driven a work truck 2006 Chevy diesel 2500 and reading forums, I knew this could be something I might have to deal with. The goofy shifting can definitely be negated with precision throttle application, but it's definitely in my mind a computer anomaly and not a failing part. I experienced much worse computer/transmission issues with the work truck which were also random. Fortunately my truck does not do the weird, press on the throttle and all you get is a hi loud revving motor with no excelleration, as you very slowly roll in to traffic scambling to get power back to accelerate away from scary and a potentially tragic crappy ending moment.

Edited by logrolller

I'm curious as to the real world mpg difference between having a bed tonneau cover and and not having one.

My vehicle:

2017 GMC Sierra 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, 6.2l, V8, short box, max trailering package and a 26 galllon gas tank.

As for my mileage, I'm getting 15 to 16 with city/hwy mix (no tonneau cover, camper shell, load or trailer).

I did get 23.01mpg doing the math and 24.3mpg per the DIC, with the first 491.7 miles which were all highway. (Check out my avatar for the proof) This was done in one trip, varying speed for motor break in and keeping it below 70 and on one gas tank run.

23mpg was okay, but sure do wish I could get close to that around town and not 6 to 7mph less. I like that I got 500 miles on a tank on the long open road, but around town it's closer to hi 300s per tank.

The only issue I have with my truck functionally is the cornball antics of the first few gears. Sometimes it shifts like butter up or down with 1st and 2nd. Other times it acts goofy with minor clunkiness in those same gears. Having driven a work truck 2006 Chevy diesel 2500 and reading forums, I knew this could be something I might have to deal with. The goofy shifting can definitely be negated with precision throttle application, but it's definitely in my mind a computer anomaly and not a failing part. I experienced much worse computer/transmission issues with the work truck which were also random. Fortunately my truck does not do the weird, press on the throttle and all you get is a hi loud revving motor with no excelleration, as you very slowly roll in to traffic scambling to get power back to accelerate away from scary and a potentially tragic crappy ending moment.

No difference in mileage...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My vehicle:

We have the same rigs - for 23 mpg around town we will need a Prius. This rig beats my previous Duramax mpg wise so not complaining. The 1,000 mile trip was across Washington state, 70 mph roads, mountain passes and assorted side trips. 20 mpg hand calc also.

As for the bed cover would not expect the promised 10% improvement. It has been proven tailgate up actually gets the best mpg in a truck, from the swirling wind push. Place an empty box or leather gloves back there and see where they get pushed to even around town.

Edited by Krusty

Yes Krusty, I know we're not going to get 20s city with our beasts, but one can always wish we could.

I let my fingers do the hard work on tonneau answers. I think a lot of people buy tonneaus for looks and locking stuff up which is fine. Neither of which are my goal when considering a tonneau. Given the pricing of these things and zero mpg gain, no thank you. Now if they added a couple mpg per gallon, then the cost of the product might be worth it, but only in a very long run as the cost would take many, many, many tanks of a fuel mpg increase to strike out the tonneau cost.

Tonneau companies claim less drag between 5 to 10% mpg gain, yet tests seem to show tonneau tops do squat for mpg improvements, no gain.

Example,

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/g475/15-favorite-mythbusters-car-myths/?

Yes Krusty, I know we're not going to get 20s city with our beasts, but one can always wish we could.

I let my fingers do the hard work on tonneau answers. I think a lot of people buy tonneaus for looks and locking stuff up which is fine. Neither of which are my goal when considering a tonneau. Given the pricing of these things and zero mpg gain, no thank you. Now if they added a couple mpg per gallon, then the cost of the product might be worth it, but only in a very long run as the cost would take many, many, many tanks of a fuel mpg increase to strike out the tonneau cost.

Tonneau companies claim less drag between 5 to 10% mpg gain, yet tests seem to show tonneau tops do squat for mpg improvements, no gain.

Example,

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/g475/15-favorite-mythbusters-car-myths/?

Yep - This from your first link makes me think only run the cover only when needed - and it confirms my tailgate up comment..........

We found that adding a tonneau cover or lowering the tailgate hurt fuel economy, rather than helped it.

With the tailgate up and no tonneau, we got 22.3 mpg. Dropping the tailgate decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg. That 4-percent difference means that driving the Ram all year exclusively on the highway could cost the owner an extra 20 gallons of gasoline. (In reality, this big workhorse is likely to see a mix of driving and a variety of chores, limiting the potential penalty.)

We found that covering the bed with a soft tonneau cover was even more detrimental, dropping fuel economy to 21.4 mpg.

Edited by Krusty

• 2 weeks later...

TOWING WITH NEW MUFFLER REPORT:

Towed about 5,000# camp trailer to Grayland State Park (by Westport, WA) last week. 250 mile round trip. Most def could hear the muffler performing with the constant higher RPM in tow/haul. Nothing droning or obnoxious and on the way home had grown accustomed to it.

Got 11.2 mpg hand calc - pretty ideal 60mph sea level roads for mpg towing or not - we always go north of there to Kalaloch camping or cabins every year - and always got the best mpg in the Duramax on that trip.

Most def can hear V4 at times - other times I try and think it must be there and look and nope V8.... But then I could not tell a dif with the stock muffler. Makes me wonder if I could tell in a stock truck now. Think I notice it more going into V4 then out of V4. Going in its almost like the sound of a furnace flaming out or something, LOL. I can see why some say the V4 sound "bothers" them. But on that trip I could have put it in M7 and done the same RPM - which I did at times to see - 60/65mph and T/H it stayed in 7 or below.

About to turn 3,000 miles on the new rig............

:driving:

• Like 1

TOWING WITH NEW MUFFLER REPORT:

Towed about 5,000# camp trailer to Grayland State Park (by Westport, WA) last week. 250 mile round trip. Most def could hear the muffler performing with the constant higher RPM in tow/haul. Nothing droning or obnoxious and on the way home had grown accustomed to it.

Got 11.2 mpg hand calc - pretty ideal 60mph sea level roads for mpg towing or not - we always go north of there to Kalaloch camping or cabins every year - and always got the best mpg in the Duramax on that trip.

Most def can hear V4 at times - other times I try and think it must be there and look and nope V8.... But then I could not tell a dif with the stock muffler. Makes me wonder if I could tell in a stock truck now. Think I notice it more going into V4 then out of V4. Going in its almost like the sound of a furnace flaming out or something, LOL. I can see why some say the V4 sound "bothers" them. But on that trip I could have put it in M7 and done the same RPM - which I did at times to see - 60/65mph and T/H it stayed in 7 or below.

About to turn 3,000 miles on the new rig............

I've been thinking about coming the same thing you did, same as my 2011. Thing is it's nice having a almost silent truck at times but I find myself feeling like I'm in a yuppie truck.. Yearning to hear that big ole V8!

I know it would sound good with the Flowmaster 50 HD seires.

I've been thinking about coming the same thing you did, same as my 2011. Thing is it's nice having a almost silent truck at times but I find myself feeling like I'm in a yuppie truck.. Yearning to hear that big ole V8!

I know it would sound good with the Flowmaster 50 HD seires.

You won't regret the swap - every start-up is a joy to hear..... After a few miles you will grow so accustomed to the mellow sound - you will wonder why you drove a sewing machine for so long.

:dunno:

Edited by Krusty

Lol. I quickly got used to hearing my Flowmaster. First few days it feels like everyone's looking at you because it's so much louder. They're not really because it's only a few decibles over stock. By a couple weeks I had completely forgotten it was there and wanted something a tick louder. It definitely sounded good when I started it up!

Just flipped over 3,000 miles and did an early oil change with 0W/20 Mobil 1 and the M1-212 oil filter. Already had swapped out the oil filter for M1-212 once before at 1,000 miles. Did not reset the DIC, and will have the dealership do a "free" oil change when the truck says to or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Way over kill I am sure but I used to do 500 mile oil changes on new cars, so I am progressing, LOL. Oil wasn't even dirty looking and that 0W/20 sure flows like water especially when hot. Very easy oil change though, 8 qrts worth and all.

• 4 months later...

7,500 miles currently - went on a 1,200 some mile trip a few weeks back to McCall Idaho.  She showed 22mpg afterwards on the dash - 21mpg hand calc - still on the honeymoon.............

:cool:

Geeze they keep hosing up this website though - liked it the way it was...........

Edited by Krusty

• 5 months later...

Past the 12K marker last month after 12 months. Had the water pump go bad at 5600k. Got a sensor a foot under the water pump on the motor weaping (very fine) oil, getting that checked out. Noticed some oil consumption between 5k and 10K, I believe this was due to engine braking, hi rpms and using manual gear shifting. Also noticed around the edges of the fog lamps, the chrome is peeling, rubbed off, cracking on the bumper. I was cleaning it up and noticed the chrome blemishes. You wouldn't see it if your face weren't right up to it. It just shows beyond the edge of the fog lamp plastic. 

Edited by Logroller