Lifter tick on passenger side

Ford's 12V electric vacuum pump may go bad, but people cannot loose their brakes over a no vacuum condition. They loose the POWER ASSIST function.

Yes you're right when the 12 pump seizes you only lose the power assist. There's a separate issue where the master cylinder seals fail and 12v pump sucks the brake fluid out of the MC.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems/12336-brake-failure-8.html#/topics/12336?page=2&_k=0xgpah

Good to know! I would think a 12V electric pump mounted on the fender well or something would be a more reliable design. Goes bad, just change it out. Not risking taking out an entire engine. Just my 2 cents.

After looking into it some more, I agree with you. An electric vac assist might be the way to go. I found some info for people interested in removing the mechanical pump.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/193570-2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-engine-failure/?p=1934696

• 3 weeks later...

pump runs all the time, but is only needed because of V4 mode. Remove the belt and keep it V8 as a quick test was my thought.

Other members have said that the vacuum pump is the ONLY source feeding vacuum to the brake booster, so if you remove the belt you would have no vacuum to the brake booster, no matter if you were in V8. You would need to fist supply another source of vacuum to the brake booster before you disable the vacuum pump. This is my understanding.

I've got a 2014 with 120,000 miles on it and my was doing the same thing. I thought at first it was a lifter but I changed fuel grade to try to combat the "shake" at idle and the tick went away in a few days I run mid grade fuel now and haven't had an issue with it anymore.

Archived