Light offroading

I was just curious how these new 2500's do off-road. This morning, I parked in a lot and backed up into some plowed snow. In my Jeep I did that kind of thing all the time, but after driving up over the snow a little bit I got to thinking maybe that wasn't the best idea. Not sure whether the exhaust might hang up in the snow or something like that.

Also, how is the factory skid plate package? I'm not really going to off-road my truck, but I will take my truck off-road sometimes, if that makes any sense.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just curious how these new 2500's do off-road. This morning, I parked in a lot and backed up into some plowed snow. In my Jeep I did that kind of thing all the time, but after driving up over the snow a little bit I got to thinking maybe that wasn't the best idea. Not sure whether the exhaust might hang up in the snow or something like that.

Also, how is the factory skid plate package? I'm not really going to off-road my truck, but I will take my truck off-road sometimes, if that makes any sense.

I've had full size GM 4x4s since forever & they'll do OK as long as you stay out of the deep or soft mud. For how we use them on our property, tires are quite important. It the fall it gets quite "greasy" w/ the rain & wet leaves. An aggressive tread (that isn't worn out) is needed. Also, I turn off the traction control when using the 4WD.

The trails are you typical 2 track trails thru the woods. Mostly earth w/ a bit of smooth rock thrown in.

I've done some MINOR "off-roading" - driving through corn fields and other farm fields. When they are dry (i.e. no snow), truck seems to handle just fine. In those same fields covered in snow, it struggles. Around town in snow, it struggles. I think those struggles are due to 2 things, mediocre tires and virtually no weight in the back. I put 350 pounds in mine, but only helped a little.

I've done some MINOR "off-roading" - driving through corn fields and other farm fields. When they are dry (i.e. no snow), truck seems to handle just fine. In those same fields covered in snow, it struggles. Around town in snow, it struggles. I think those struggles are due to 2 things, mediocre tires and virtually no weight in the back. I put 350 pounds in mine, but only helped a little.

I agree I think the weight in the back would help a lot traction wise

Yeah I put some all-terrrains on it, Wild Country XTX Sport. They have smaller voids than the BF AT KO2's I had on the Jeep, but they definitely seem to be better on packed snow and ice than the BFG's. I am sure they are not as good off-road.

How about the air dam? Is it easy to remove? My usage would probably dictate removing it once a year for a week of hunting and then reinstalling for the fuel economy.

I love that the locker and 4.10's are standard now.

I've taken mine down the apache trail in the rain. After I put it in 4wd the ride smoothed out and it trudged thru everything..

I got caught in a 99 ZZ1 extended cab in the Grand Staircase Escalante area. My brother and I slept under the cap on the truck and woke up to a torrential downpour. It was terrible getting out of there on the stock Goodyear Wrangler ST's. A mud tire would have been way, way better. Once my kids get older and I can get back to that sort of thing, I will bump up to a more aggressive tire like the ST Maxx, AT KO2, or Duratrac.

How about the air dam? Is it easy to remove? My usage would probably dictate removing it once a year for a week of hunting and then reinstalling for the fuel economy.

Now you're thinking like me. LOL I hung up & tore off the air dam on my 2000 GMC 2500 (non-HD). I'm thinking of trimming the air dam in the spring for a bit more clearance.

I will give credit to Ford for one thing. The way they design the bumper & airdam on the SDs, you can remove the air dam from the truck & it's not noticeable (plus looks fairly easy). W/ the Chevs & GMCs if you take the air dam off, it looks like you were in an accident.

Mine has the Transforce ATs on it. That's what GM specs for the OOR tire on the 17" rim. Had I known all the tore ODs were the same, I would've just ordered the truck w/ the stock tires & upgraded to something more agressive. It's too bad the Dura-tracs aren't available across the board rather than as content in a "package".

Not sure what I'm going to do tire-wise this year. I'm thinking I'll try to get a set of steel rims & mount the ATs on them. I don't do much offroading during the winter & since I'm retired, no pressing need to drive thru snowfalls. In 2018, I'd be looking for a set of "true" offroad tire for the truck.

Most of us do have the G80 locking diff at the rear, what about the front; is it open diff, or does it have a kind of limited slip?

Also, the locker becomes an open diff past 25 MPH. So, I presume we suffer traction if we're driving through mud, etc. past 25 MPH?

Tires are everything. The stock Michelin LTX tires that came on my 2500 were a complete joke for my needs. GM may consider them all terrain tires, but I think they are just all season for hard road use. I have to deal with gravel roads daily, and many times quite muddy or big drifts of snow. On the property, soft farm cropland to pasture to draw washouts and a lot of it pretty hilly. The pickup does just fine for all of it. Oh, I opted for the BFG KO2's and went up a size from the 265/70R18 to 275/70R18, though there are other tire brands that will probably do an admirable job. it will go thru anything I need to do. And the KO2's work great for the snowplowing I do around the property. Air pressures need to be considered. The stock OEM recommended air pressures are fine if loaded to gross weight, but not the best of empty or light loading. I got the load/pressure chart from BFG for my tires and follow it based on axle loading of the tires.

GM may consider them all terrain tires, but I think they are just all season for hard road use.

Walking past the "tire room" in the plant, it was difficult to see which tires were the highway option & which were the OOR tires the tread patterns were so similar.

Archived