Light offroading

This was my solution for getting the tailpipe hung up.

20161018_131806_zpszmsogyzo.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To keep the black crud off my rear bumper due to the crappy fuel, I shortened the tailpipe & added a 45* elbow (turned down) on my '11. After than no more "staining".

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I qualify as taking my 2500 off road in a "light duty" manner [emoji13] 82969122d65629d72ecadef8b7c027e5.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

The road/trail surface looks similar to the access road behind our woodlot. Mind you the surrounding terrain is somewhat flatter. ;-)

Out of the box, I put a RanchHand bumper on mine (much better front clearance), Nitto TrailGrappler MT's (275/70-18), and cut about 12" off the tailpipe. Goes great in the goo and deep ruts around here with the short wheelbase of a regular cab and a 2000 lb flatbed on the back.

The limiting factor offroad in these trucks is the 3 or so inches of suspension travel. Get going very fast and this thing bucks like a wild horse in rough terrain. Suspension mods will be my next project. When I get more clearance I'll put a bigger tire on it.

post-126199-0-87100700-1485455105_thumb.jpg

What kind of terrain has it been in? Our work dually has 245 wide mud tires and handles all conditions really well. It has extra leaves in the back to deal with the weight of the bales & box feeder. Around 14k loaded up. The only major issue is high centering (crew cab long bed). Having a regular cab like yours would really help.

Do you run with 2 bales on? How does the 6.0 manage?

Cutting the exhaust short on all makes seems to be the ticket.

What kind of terrain has it been in? Our work dually has 245 wide mud tires and handles all conditions really well. It has extra leaves in the back to deal with the weight of the bales & box feeder. Around 14k loaded up. The only major issue is high centering (crew cab long bed). Having a regular cab like yours would really help.

Do you run with 2 bales on? How does the 6.0 manage?

Cutting the exhaust short on all makes seems to be the ticket.

Lots of mud, especially lately with all the rain. I added airbags right after I got it to help with the 2 1500 lb bales I carry on it. Carry about 25 lbs of air in them. My last feed truck (same config as this one) I went with the heavier springs and really liked it. Also had Bilstein 5100's, Kryptonite upper arms and aftermarket steering components and keys. Eventually, I may do the same to this truck. The 6.0 is all the motor I need. Pulls my loaded 20 foot stock trailer fine and these engines are tough as nails. I got rid of it because of transmission issues.

I can't speak highly enough of these Nittos. I have tried most of the mud terrains out there and these things will sling mud and clean like no other. You can get better but not with this stiff of sidewall that can handle the weights we haul around.

Most of us do have the G80 locking diff at the rear, what about the front; is it open diff, or does it have a kind of limited slip?

Also, the locker becomes an open diff past 25 MPH. So, I presume we suffer traction if we're driving through mud, etc. past 25 MPH?

Unless you get one of the specialty vehicles, like a Jeep Rubicon or a Dodge Power Wagon, the front differential is most likely open. They do this because of the inherent "bad" handling characteristics and they put more load on the front differential.

I've had a couple purpose built trucks with either Detroit lockers fore and aft or limited slips fore and aft, they do handle differently but not bad...they tend to push straight in corners and if your off canter on a slippery surface, they will usually cause the entire truck to slide downhill instead of just the rear of the truck. Offroad is vastly improved with a rear locker, and just short of incredible with lockers front and rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Unless you get one of the specialty vehicles, like a Jeep Rubicon or a Dodge Power Wagon, the front differential is most likely open. They do this because of the inherent "bad" handling characteristics and they put more load on the front differential.

I've had a couple purpose built trucks with either Detroit lockers fore and aft or limited slips fore and aft, they do handle differently but not bad...they tend to push straight in corners and if your off canter on a slippery surface, they will usually cause the entire truck to slide downhill instead of just the rear of the truck. Offroad is vastly improved with a rear locker, and just short of incredible with lockers front and rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

and they have solid axles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went "off-roading" in the desert - think improved dirt and rock roads where you need ground clearance, but 4x4 is more insurance than a requirement. Stock 2500 4x4 Z71. The truck did fine but was very bouncy and stiff. I know the suspension is optimized for towing and hauling, but I didn't expect it to be so rough.

Did you moderate tire air pressures? The stock OEM pressures are ridiculous and way out of line unless you are at gross vehicle weight. I got the recommended tire pressure chart from the tire maker themselves on what they suggest based on the axle load. After all, they are the ones who put in all the R&D on the tire and made them. When empty or light loaded, i will typically run 50-55 up front and 45-50 in the rear. If I am going to be loading up heavier, I inflate accordingly. A striking difference in ride quality over stock OEM pressures.

Tires are the answer for sure. I've done mild fourwheeling in mud and snow and I find a couple things particularly annoying. If you do not disable traction control, and have the G80 rear end, it's pointless. The diff will never lock up and when your trying to hammer on it up a hill the brakes are trying to stop the tires from spinning. Also if you get into deep ruts and have it disable where you are capable of making the tires spin, the stabilitrak is activating, and it's impossible to keep off. GM just needs a 4x4 override button to disable these features so the experienced human 4 wheeler can take over.

Tires are the answer for sure. I've done mild fourwheeling in mud and snow and I find a couple things particularly annoying. If you do not disable traction control, and have the G80 rear end, it's pointless. The diff will never lock up and when your trying to hammer on it up a hill the brakes are trying to stop the tires from spinning. Also if you get into deep ruts and have it disable where you are capable of making the tires spin, the stabilitrak is activating, and it's impossible to keep off. GM just needs a 4x4 override button to disable these features so the experienced human 4 wheeler can take over.

I know how you feel. That was one of the first things the salesman told me when I was picking up my '11 to do when offroad.

The 'braintrust' @ GM has it figured out a vast majority of the 4x4 trucks never go offroad & that switch would be redundant on those trucks.

Archived