Drop Shackles with Air Bags.

Kinda curious how they would rupture. They are micro cellular urethane. They show boring a 1" hole thru them and it doesn't affect capability but only minimally.

Nothing is the perfect, one size fits all situations remedy. I looked at air bags and liked them, but the practicality wasn't there and the cost could be beat. Timbrens looked interesting, but still the gap between axle and contact. Sumo Springs are directly on the axle and are progressive in resistance as they are compressed, kinda like an air bag. Kind of a middle ground between Timbrens and air bags. Air bag flexibility with no maintenance or air input, and the ease of plug and play and forget like Timbrens. Hope they do the trick. We'll see. I will only be out $170 for trying. Considerably cheaper than air bags. I have stuck my neck out before and got fooled.

That's going back several years...and who knows how they were being used when/if they split...internet legend...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks sdeeter.

No problem, hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I did the 2" with the shackles and also removed the factory overload spring. It leveled out to be a total of 3.25." Which made it sit exactly the same as the front in stock form. Then I needed to tow and not wanting the harsh ride I went with the Hellwig "Bigwig" Air bag set up. Worked great and rode awesome towing. (end up using about half the air pressure as I did with Airlifts) Anyway I tried all different PSI trying to get the ride manageable while unloaded. To harsh bottomed out all the time or to stiff and rear higher the the front which was the reason I did the drop to start with. Bags are sitting under my tool box. Easy enough to throw on if I need to tow. FWIW

Not wanting to thread hijack........I just ordered lowering shackles for my 2500 just to lower the ass end for garage door clearance........Plan on using the 2" setting.............What can I expect in terms of ride and hauling capacity? At most I tow a 9500# car trailer.........Thanks

Your ride and hauling capacity won't change. However, it will be much easier to get in and out of the bed while loaded AND unloaded. I've been pleased with my drop. I used the middle setting, roughly 1.5" drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct. Ride and hauling payload doesn't change. You are only adjusting height of springs. And that 2" may not sound like much, but boy, it sure made a whale of a difference to me for getting in and out of the pickup bed.

• Like 1

Correct. Ride and hauling payload doesn't change. You are only adjusting height of springs. And that 2" may not sound like much, but boy, it sure made a whale of a difference to me for getting in and out of the pickup bed.

Thanks........that's exactly what I am looking for........Any tricks on the install? Looks like it should be pretty straightforward........

Edited by ickyoldman

Thanks........that's exactly what I am looking for........Any tricks on the install? Looks like it should be pretty straightforward........

Just need to trim the pinch weld. Other than that its pretty straight forward.

I realize it is early Sunday morn and I am not quite at 100%, but it begs the question in reply to yours.... are you asking about the stops on putting on spring shackles or putting on the Sumosprings?

Just installed my lowering shackles today........would have been a piece of cake except for trimming that pinch weld.....that was a major pain in the ass........ruined my t shirt with hot flaming fragments of metal falling down upon me......happy with the result but am glad I will never have to do that again!