Pics and info 2017 2500 Duramax

Have AMP Powerboards on my 2015 duramax. Received conformation on 2017 build date. Now wonder if AMP will be ready when I am.

My understanding is AMP has neither Powerboards or XL Boards that presently fit a 2017 Duramax??

Has anyone installed the XL Boards? Live in CT and in three years and 100,000 miles have only seen AMP Boards on a Ford 150.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got a chance to look at the underneath of my new 2500 duramax that I picked up this week. I love it so far, but there is a cooler of some sort, looks like it may be for the Allison - mounted just in front of the fuel tank, and no skid plate or guard around it. Sure hope it doesn't become a victim. I ordered it with the skid plates and everything else has them but this little gem. Driveshaft and U-Joint's definately look heavier.

And that DEF tank is one ugly MF'r.... May have to get the Power step XL just to hide that thing.... I am selling the factory steps (had them just keep them in the box and not install them).

The dark slate metallic looks better in person than the GM website, imo

SHAGMAX, what MPG are you getting with your Duramax? I'm having a hard time deciding b/t gasser and Duramax. Thank you

SHAGMAX, what MPG are you getting with your Duramax? I'm having a hard time deciding b/t gasser and Duramax. Thank you

Well, I can set the cruise at 70 and it stays between 19-21mpg.. As an around town, lotsa traffic in orlando, I've been averaging 14-16 - about what my 14' 1500 crew cab got with the small V8

Well, I can set the cruise at 70 and it stays between 19-21mpg.. As an around town, lotsa traffic in orlando, I've been averaging 14-16 - about what my 14' 1500 crew cab got with the small V8

thank you. that's better than I thought. I assume better than what a 2500 gasser would get too? do you tow regularly? I heard a guy on youtube say he was only getting around 10 city and 14 highway (Duramax, unloaded) - that would be disappointing.

any recommendations for a guy who wants a 2500 with reasonable MPG but only tows infrequently? tough decision. especially if the gassers are getting more competitive with the Diesels for MPG.

Well some of it is how you drive... Also, I found that air pressure makes a bigger difference than I realized. I dropped down to 58 psi (which triggeres the idiot light) for a little smoother ride, and mileage dropped a couple points, so back to 74 in the fronts and 65 in the rears.

I don't two much, yet... But am looking at a truck camper, so I can pull my 23' boat across the USA.... I don't think I would want a gasser for that... You will get varying options on this subject... For me, I prefer the diesel now that I have it.. I actually might even trade my 2500 for 3500....

I only have about 600 miles on my 3500 w Duramax but am seeing 19-20 highway. Runs around 14 in town. If it's like my 2015 3500 Duramax I will get 22 hwy and 16 city. Hook a trailer to it and it's 14-16. My 2001 2500 gasser did 12 hwy and 8 towing. Higher maintenance cost on a diesel than gas. I tow a large trailer regularly.

Have averages 17.3 mpg on 103,000 miles in under three years on a 2500 crewcab. Have gotten as high as 28 which is on the DIC. Hope the next one does as well. Used it for a bit of everything but seldom pulled over 10,000 lbs but then averaged about 15 mpg

Would not go back to gas unless it was going to be used to plow

Can you give me an idea of what routine diesel maintenance costs are (compared to gasser)? Thank you

I'm comparing my '06 6.0 to my '09 Dmax

Oil 6 quarts Mobil 1 & filter for about $40-50 if I remember correctly and that's with the $10 paying someone to do the work for me supplying my own oil and filter for the 6 liter. Also includes the $12 rebate on the 5qt jug

10 quarts for the Dmax using regular mobil delvac 1300 buying 5 gallon jugs and getting rebates on that 10 quarts comes to $22.11 M1 Filter is about $15. If I were to change to synthetic cost would be $80-$120 per oil change after rebates.

Diesel here is consistently 25-40 cents more per gallon

$5-10k more just for the diesel option

AC Delco fuel filter every 15k or less is $30-$45 depending where you buy it.

Some people replace the allison transmission filter around 15k so that's another $20ish if I remember right.

LMM thankfully doesn't use pee but it's anywhere from $1.xx-$3.xx per gallon from what I've read on here

The added weight of the diesel and torque, if you're a lead foot like me on acceleration, will wear the tires slightly faster.

If you get a dually (gas or diesel) and don't rotate your tires the fronts will wear faster from being "pushed" around by the duals

A lot of people use diesel additives which can vary considerably price wise depending on which you use and how often.

Looking at the last few fill ups cost per mile for me seems to be $0.16-$0.18 per mile. That's just fuel costs, newer ones apparently get better MPGs. I get 12-15mpg. I've also have a crew cab dually though.

I don't know about the new diesels but glow plugs don't seem to last very long for me 60k and all 8 have been replaced, partly because having done 4 and then had 2 go bad within days of each other I said screw it and did the other 2 since they were all on one side. If you do it yourself glow plugs are under $20, if you have someone do it then it'll be significantly more.

Batteries are twice as much since there's 2 of them standard on the diesel. If the new ones still have the dual battery option on the gas and you chose to go that route then this cost comparison is irrelevant.

Can you give me an idea of what routine diesel maintenance costs are (compared to gasser)? Thank you

Having logged all Maintainance for the past 103,000 miles on a 2015 2500 crew cab yields $4,037.41

Serviced at the dealers every 5000 miles, only Delco DEF, replaced shocks and tires with original equipment at 80,000 miles, fuel filters at around 40,000 miles(25%), cab filters the same, engine air filter etc

Could have done less and saved maybe 25% but think preventative maintenance and a great relationship with the dealer is most worth wild. Years ago I did it all myself. Some would say I saved enough to let others do it in my old age. Must admit watching it done is enjoyable.

Should see the next pickup in April, a desiel by gosh. Seems I read somewhere the fuel cost averaged out about 108,000 miles

Now aren't you glad U asked?

Don't feel guilt, buy what you want! I have a 2011 Dually 3500HD for towing (business truck) and I still got a Duramax on my 2017 because I wanted one :) No justification needed, I wanted extra torque and in a truck that makes a big difference. Buy what you want, it's your money....and then enjoy it!

Don't feel guilt, buy what you want! I have a 2011 Dually 3500HD for towing (business truck) and I still got a Duramax on my 2017 because I wanted one :) No justification needed, I wanted extra torque and in a truck that makes a big difference. Buy what you want, it's your money....and then enjoy it!

Like the way U think. Just got the VIN # today for my 2017. Plan to haul myself anywhere the road takes me.

Still seems to go some 40,000 miles a year.

Archived