wanting to buy used truck help me

i am new to this forum so apologies if i am asking something "dumb"

i am looking to buy a used gmt900 body style silverado. money is currently an issue and in order to afford the truck i want/need, i must buy one with high miles on it. i am skeptical about how many is too many. i understand it is more about how the previous owner treated the truck than how many miles. i am looking at 07-11 z71 4x4 crew cab with over 130k on them. is there any model year i should seek out or any i should stay away from within these years? i have read about checking transfer case and such when looking at trucks w high mileage but what other things do i need to pay special attention to? i plan on having my mechanic thoroughly check before buying. what expenses should i be prepared to pay at this mileage? i will use the truck as a daily driver ~50 miles roundtrip everyday but i am an avid hunter and will use to go down beaten up farm roads during duck and deer season as well as pull boat/atv/4 wheeler/etc. also, this is a truck i plan on working on myself and learning about to save money. are these model years generally user friendly for most repairs? i know these questions all have many different answers and many different opinions, but based on your knowledge, what do you think i should do? any suggestions or comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated. thank yall!!!

Best piece of advice I can give you is avoid the 5.3 motor like the plague. Get either a 2500 with the 6.0 motor, or (if you can find one) a half-ton with the 6.2 (GMC Sierra Denalis are more common).

2500s would be more durable, too, IMHO. I'd be more confident in a high-mileage 2500 than a high mileage 1500.

Best piece of advice I can give you is avoid the 5.3 motor like the plague. Get either a 2500 with the 6.0 motor, or (if you can find one) a half-ton with the 6.2 (GMC Sierra Denalis are more common).

2500s would be more durable, too, IMHO. I'd be more confident in a high-mileage 2500 than a high mileage 1500.

^^^ X2

or option B is get a 05 or 06. I know its a different body style, but the drive train is fairly bullet proof.

I had two 5.3's with over 300,000 miles that never had any problems. I have always run Mobil 1 oil and a WIX filter. Both were well maintained and never abused. I found a 2005 5.3 crew cab in perfect condition an older man had. Only had 85,000 miles. Running great.

Just a side note, my brother, who is s lawyer, but tight, I call him cheap....well do am I, I by what I need, not what's gonna impress somebody who doesn't matter anyway. My brother went and looked at s truck. Very clean outward appearance. He took a paper towel with him. Checked the oil. Not registering on the dipstick. When asked about oil change interval, they didn't have an answer. When he looked underneath, he found a main bearing seal leak. So, just check for leaks, see if the oil is clean, black or not even registering .

Good luck, they're out there and there are used car guys who seem to have a knack for locating these good, well maintained trucks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You're already on the right track with the mechanic part. I would invest in a carfax report. They aren't foolproof but it's nice to know certain stuff. I've read countless posts about "shoulda bought a carfax..."

Do some research on the AFM for these years. That's really the only bad thing about those motors. I put a range AFM disabler on mine once I got it. I'm a little surprised about the negative feedback on the 5.3 from the previous posts on here. My research showed tons of great feedback about these motors with the exception of AFM. If you buy it, get a range AFM disabler asap. $190 new but you can find them used too.

I just went through this process. Got a '10 crew cab z71 4x4. I love it, but have only had it a week or so.

Archived