Headlight Comparison

Arth and several others, myself included, have completed the swap. I'm not sure if this will work to link you to the thread for the swap or not:

2016 SLT lights in 14/15 SLT/All Terrain almost done

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=33003&share_tid=187569&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F187569-2016-SLT-lights-in-14-15-SLT-All-Terrain-almost-done&share_type=t

It's plug and play with a new harness.

SkeeterMcSkeet beat me too the punch lol. That was the thread I was looking for.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn. This must be something new. I take a little time off from checking the forum and all these new options are now available. I've been trying to improve my headlights for the past 3 years. Finally found a setup I like but this is definitely another options that I would be interested in.

I wish someone would make a LED projector with the OEM look for the '15. I really don't like the horseshoe LED on the 2016+. Ruins the front end for me. Has anyone seen or have the Spyder U-Bar headlights?

(If someone does make this please let me know. Not looking to do the retrofit)

I must be missing something, as my 2017 has Bi-xenon projectors with LED running lights. Most headlights on 2015s were Halogen.

Edit: just checked Chevy Website. Full LED lights on the High End trucks.

That being said, the Xenons are no slouch, and far better than standard Halogens of the pre-facelift trucks.

I know on the 2016 Sierra assemblies there's an led and non-led assembly. The full Led assembly doesn't have the amber bulb in the middle beside the projector. Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone looking to upgrade to the led bulbs so you don't buy the wrong assembly by mistake.

Sent from my kayak

Yea, there is a row of amber LEDs on the bottom of the assembly.

Only external bulbs that are NOT LEDs are the backup, the cargo, the center mounted taillight and the license lamps. I took care of that the first day. Swapped them all out to LEDs.

Did you have any warning lights show up on the dash after you changed out the bulbs ? Have heard something about different bulbs changes the electrical current and will sometimes throw a fault code. I would like to change the cargo light over to LED.

On '16 GMC SLT the LED headlamps were part of the SLT Crew Cap Premium package

correct... my 16 slt preimium AT... has the LED headlamps kit with the HID.... bright as all get up... and with the led fogs on.. man.. light up the road half a mile down.

the 16-17 headlights are so much better than the 14-15 stock for stock. I put a set of 35W Morimoto HID's in my dads 15 SLE for xmas and adjusted them and they are much better now, still not as good as the LED's in my 17 but at least you can see where your going now.

Did you have any warning lights show up on the dash after you changed out the bulbs ? Have heard something about different bulbs changes the electrical current and will sometimes throw a fault code. I would like to change the cargo light over to LED.

I recently changed my reverse, cargo and license plate lights to LEDS and no code or lights showed up.

Nothing on the dash, however, I keep getting a notification from Onstar that I "might" have an exterior light out; just got another one the other day and only after night driving. I'm assuming it is the license plate LEDs. Since I only use the cargo bulbs when backing up into a campground (haven't done that for about three months), and the backup lamp bulbs come on every time I back up and the third high mount tail lamp is used all the time.

Message from Onstar:

One or more of the lights in your 2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab may have malfunctioned.

Please see your dealer for service.

It also shows on my monthly Onstar maintenance/service history report. But no idiot light.

When spring gets here, I might install 50W, 6-Ohm load resistors into the two separate license lamp circuits. I say "might" since the emails don't bother me, but I guess I should solve the problem in case an actual bulb goes out.

Strange thing is I had these same bulbs installed in my '15 Silverado (also had a set of Anzo LED tail light assemblies installed) and never received a notice from Onstar about a bulb being out. So; I'm guessing the '16 might monitor more bulbs or the sensitivity is upped.

So not to thread-jack, but does anyone know of a successful installation of the 2016+ GMC 2500HD HID assemblies into a 14/15 GMC 1500 SLT or SLE A/T? I would like to keep my 15 look appropriate for the year, but just with the factory HIDs they offered the following year in the Heavy Duties.

attachicon.gifLED.jpgattachicon.gifNon LED.jpg

Thought I would put up a comparison of the projector headlights vs LED headlights. The projectors are on a 2015 GMC 2500, the LED are on my 2017 GMC 1500. Both pics were taken the same night in some foggy conditions, fog lights were on in both pictures (low beam).

This is a very bad and expensive trend, once you have driven a new truck with full LED headlight system you cannot go back to the yellow dim world............... You have to have it! Mary Barra has her claws in you man

Archived