[Photo Set] First Spy Shots of 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

Zane

Silverado.w01.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

1/31/2017

The very first photos have been captured of GM's next generation full-size Silverado pickup truck. We have licensed these photos for our members, so get ready to take your first look at the 2019 Silverado.

Visit our 2019 T1XX Silverado/Sierra Forum

Our spy photographer reports:

Judging from the heavily disguised prototypes we caught being loaded into car hauler at a General Motors test facility, it appears that we’ve seen the first sign of testing for the next-generation Chevy Silverado pickup. Of the two prototypes spotted so far, both are Crew Cabs, while one looks to have the short bed while the other has the full-size bed configuration.
Engineers parked a current single cab Silverado pickup alongside the loading platform, in an effort to shield the prototype from prying eyes. While it blocked a portion of the prototype, the truck also provided a nice opportunity to see the all-new truck next to today’s model.
Our sources at AutoPacific tell us that this new Silverado is accelerating it’s efforts to create an aluminum-intensive body to match the Ford F-series trucks. The next-gen truck—reportedly being developed with the internal code name T1XC—is expected to reach the market in late 2018, as a 2019 model. Our sources tell us that GM has made great efforts to refine its production processes with these lightweight materials, and promises a lighter, stronger, and more efficient truck than its competitors.
It will be interesting to see how the next Silverado ultimately stacks up against the F-150, and how GM will spin their current criticism of aluminum intensive trucks when they have one of their own. Now that we know that next-generation Silverado prototypes exist, we’ll be on the lookout to catch them on the road. Stay tuned. - Glen Paulina

Here's the photos

Silverado.w02.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w03.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w04.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w05.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w05c.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w06.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w07.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w08.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w09.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w10.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w11.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w12.KGP.gmtc.jpg

Silverado.w13.KGP.gmtc.jpg

What we can learn from these photos

• Principle engineering of the new Silverado is primarily done and prototypes are being manufactured
  • These photos show two different vehicles. One has white lettering on the tires, one does not.
  • The crew cab will be much bigger than the current generation
  • Rear exhaust tips seem integrated into the bumper or fascia
  • The gap between the bed and body seems much tighter than current generation trucks
  • A large driver's hand hold is apparent inside the cab
  • Use of LED's for some (but not all?) exterior lighting
  • Headlights are much larger than the camo would want you to think but doesn't seem to be using production housings yet
  • The single cab "current generation" truck may be a hybrid mule with next gen drivetrain.
  • The "sharkfin" antenna remains
  • Brake rotor sizes seem to be larger than current models
  • Rear view mirrors are mounted lower on the door panel
  • New chrome/polished wheels

What we can't tell

• What the body is made from. It could be steel, aluminum, or composite.
  • What types of engines will be available

What do you think?

We want to hear your thoughts on these first photos of the next generation Silverado. Post your comments and theories below!

If you like what you see, head on over to our 2019 T1XX Next Generation Truck Forum to discuss the new Silverado with other fans!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll need a new truck by 2020 so let's see what they give us. I always dislike the new models the first year they are released though. My 15 will have about 250k miles by then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If it ends up looking like a Ford, if and when I replace my '16, it will be with a Ford. I hold no allegiance to GM. Only reason I drive a GM is cause it does not look like a Ford!

What we can learn from these photos

• Principle engineering of the new Silverado is primarily done and prototypes are being manufactured
  • These photos show two different vehicles. One has white lettering on the tires, one does not.
  • The crew cab will be much bigger than the current generation
  • Rear exhaust tips seem integrated into the bumper or fascia
  • The gap between the bed and body seems much tighter than current generation trucks
  • A large driver's hand hold is apparent inside the cab
  • Use of LED's for some (but not all?) exterior lighting
  • Headlights are much larger than the camo would want you to think but doesn't seem to be using production housings yet
  • The single cab "current generation" truck may be a hybrid mule with next gen drivetrain.
  • The "sharkfin" antenna remains
  • Brake rotor sizes seem to be larger than current models
  • Rear view mirrors are mounted lower on the door panel
  • New chrome/polished wheels

What we can't tell

• What the body is made from. It could be steel, aluminum, or composite.
  • What types of engines will be available

Exhaust tips are integrated on the second mule. One the first, they clearly hang underneath.

The two current gen trucks are different. One is a 1500 while the other a 2500 or 3500 (6 lug vs 8 lug)

Engines: The exhaust suggest gas. My dmax doesn't emit any visible vapor, even on the coldest days. No visible venturis on the pipe.

I think the more rounded wheel openings, door dip and tail lights are all part of the camo.

It will be interesting to see how the next Silverado ultimately stacks up against the F-150, and how GM will spin their current criticism of aluminum intensive trucks when they have one of their own.

GM's criticism of the aluminum on the ford's WASN'T the cab area. It was in the bed area, of which is a legitimate issue if you use them like pickup trucks get used. I would hope GM continues to use HSS in the bed and uses aluminum or other form of composite in areas like the cab, is a completely different story and something GM has actually lead the competition on, on the car side.

Archived