Time to upgrade the sound system again

So it is about time I do a proper system in the truck as I have not been happy with my current setup, I just settled. This time around, I will be going 4 way active using a Helix C-DSP, changing out the dash speakers for some new mids and adding a set of tweeters. I will also finish doing my sound deadening (will probably use SecondSkins Luxury Liner Pro OR SoundDeadenerShowdown's MLV & CCF) since I have done most of the dampening already. I will be testing 3 different budget friendly dash options and 2 sets of tweeters that will work well in the sail panel position (off axis) with minimal modification. I am not posting up all the info just yet BUT I am begin my tear down today and wanted to know if there was anything specific anyone wanted me to document, photograph, or video such as how to remove panels, trim pieces etc... If you do, just go ahead and let me know so I can take care of it during the tear down.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, I'd read the entire thread if you documented all of the install.

I had already done a diy write up for my previous install. Now, I'm changing dash speakers and having them wires independently as well as adding tweeters. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/168513-diy-2014-silveradosierra-non-bose-complete-audio-upgrade/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Got all the new wiring in place ready to be connected. Unfortunately, I am now using two amps to power front stage instead of one so I had to place them in a new position. This resulted in my original wire run being too short so had to run new wire all around. Here are some pics of the amps and dsp. I know it's messy but it is a temporary thing as I am still wiring and testing everything to then eventually stick it in some techflex. 8524a6da844912b238614237423d591e.jpg8e7f9add6e881d69436efef83832c4bc.jpg

post-134927-148601260405_thumb.jpg

I'm going to start with dash speakers. The first decent option is SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" Aluminum Cone Full Range - 4 ohm speaker. This speaker was recommended by someone and it sure does look very good on paper. I'll will be testing it out tomorrow to see how well it performs. It's aluminum cone should make for a great mid range speaker that can get loud without distortion and the sheets below show how smooth it is across the board. May need to mount up at an angle to get more on axis but we shall see.90898012c4638370d547af93458a5f3d.jpgb2ca3c56e090c4e498340830f070beb5.jpgaef22e6f66bf7706bbe014f7e72e522f.jpg824596fa45b15ac1252c0140969fb20b.jpg072ea114c6021e39dc3b2386be42457c.jpg

With your seats back in place, does that area get hot with all the amps running?

Never to a point where it becomes an issue. I did think about putting some corsair silent fans back there but I need to see how these operate.

Got the truck tuned today using SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G (H1397) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter and the SB acoustics midrange. The Seas sound great and are very nice to listen to but can be piercing at higher volume. The SB acoustics doesn't look like it is going to be a good choice. Once they finished tuning it, he had me listen to them alone and they sound very hollow. They do not sound as inviting as I thought. Do not get me wrong, they sound good, but only when blended with everything else and unfortunately, they do not hold their own in the system. The next option I will be trying for the dash will be the FaitalPRO's 3FE22's. I am hoping these perform better but I will try and get them installed tomorrow. I am also dealing with some floor noise (hissing) due to my choice of amps so that is on the list to be taken care of.

The fatal pros are nice but I think they lack a little bit of the high notes.

Can you elaborate? I won't be putting them in today as I just got my truck back from the dealer and it is getting dark so I can't hear them just yet.

Do you happen to know what frequencies you think it lacks in? Trying to see if it I will have it even playing those frequencies.

Archived