What oil are you using.

Yes we know (we should) that the manual calls for 0W-20 for the 5.3 engine.

Can't remember the 6.2 oil spec off the top of my head, but oh well.

I'm curious what you 5.3 guys are running. Or plan to.

If you did steer of the recommended path, any issues?

I went to autozone, or advanced auto to buy oil...... this 0w-20 was like 36 bucks for a 5 quart jug... Of course the v8 needs 8 quarts...

The bill with filter came to like 96 bucks...

Here's my advice - go onto amazon and buy the Oil of choice you need.... I got 2 jugs of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart

and the bill was $48.00

2 of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart

Edited by raysturm

Mobil 1 0W/20 can be had at WalMart - or I always watch for the oil + filter specials at AutoZone - just picked up the same oil for the 2015 Subaru Outback yesterday. $33.99 for the 5qt jug and M1 filter............

Oil is oil............ But when it comes to these thin 0W/20 fuel saving oils........... Mobil 1 helps me sleep at night....... :driving:

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy

Already asked the dealership if they use the "synthetic blend" or "full synthetic" Dexos1 and they said full synthetic.......... Because I have free oil changes for life on the Silverado 6.2L on order. But doubt I will want to have them do what I can do just as easy and not have it on the crowded lot and in the hands of others.......... We'll see...........

Edited by Krusty

Mobil 1 0W/20 can be had at WalMart - or I always watch for the oil + filter specials at AutoZone - just picked up the same oil for the 2015 Subaru Outback yesterday. $33.99 for the 5qt jug and M1 filter............

Oil is oil............ But when it comes to these thin 0W/20 fuel saving oils........... Mobil 1 helps me sleep at night....... :driving:

Already asked the dealership if they use the "synthetic blend" or "full synthetic" Dexos1 and they said full synthetic.......... Because I have free oil changes for life on the Silverado 6.2L on order. But doubt I will want to have them do what I can do just as easy and not have it on the crowded lot and in the hands of others.......... We'll see...........

Dealership will use synthetic blend mine used Quaker State........overfilled it by 3/4 quart and said, "I don't think it really matters if it's 8.00 or 8.75? So yeah, avoid the free oil change somehow they will **** it up!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 2

Dealership will use synthetic blend mine used Quaker State........overfilled it by 3/4 quart and said, "I don't think it really matters if it's 8.00 or 8.75? So yeah, avoid the free oil change somehow they will **** it up!

So because 1 person had a small issue at 1 dealer they all will? Not really a F-up just an oversight, but hey I guess preach it to everyone...

So you are or aren't going to use the free oil changes?

Not sure why anyone would not, chances are they know more and are better at it than anyone here and if something does happen, it is documented and will get fixed (which is few and far between). On top of that it is free, money you don't have to spend! If people are overbearing just check the oil level when done, spot check the filter and plug and verify what oil they used. Not that difficult and you stay clean.

I have my last free oil change coming up. I am all for doing it myself (and I will) but i will miss not having to spend $50 each time and the time saved.

In response to the OP, what ever the dealer uses. When i do it myself I will use the cheapest big name oil in the correct weight and most likely synthetic blend unless it calls for full synthetic as I change my oil every 5k and am not worried about the extra longevity. Will do some more checking as that time nears.

Tyler

First oil change at 1000 miles was done with the oil and filter I bought from the dealer the day I picked up the truck: AC Delco 0w-20 with filter.

The AC Delco is Synthetic BLEND, not FULL sythetic, which was fine for break-in anyway. At my next oil change, at 5k, I'll be switching to full sythetic, most likely. After that, I'll be sticking with a 5k mile OCI.

When I picked up the oil and filter from the dealer, the bill was $46 for 9 quarts and a filter. Yes 9, because apparently GM changed the oil capacity from 8.5 quarts to an even 8 recently and the guy who got the oil obviously wasn't aware.