What oil are you using.

So you are or aren't going to use the free oil changes?

Depends - Had it before on some rigs and it would take at least an hour and a drive across town. So no real time savings. This dealership is a nice new facility with a dedicated lube area - so it may be fine. Although like any busy big dealership the cars and trucks are packed on the lot and always rigs in motion. Leaving the possibility for mishap.

Had another dealership's dedicated quick lube do the Duramax for a year. Then when I went to do my first oil change, it was plain to see they did not get at the hard to reach zerks (there are 11 zerks on a 2500's front suspension). And the transfer case was low - never checked - these trucks are known for vanishing transfer case fluid.

Time wise does take longer at home true, dealing with no lift. But I am not about over maintaining it to the decades old 3 month or 3,000 mile mantra. To convince myself it was OK to let the OLM tell you when to change oil, I ran the Duramax 10,000 miles in 10 months until the OLM said to change it, and had the oil tested and it was fine. After that I always went either 1 year or when the OLM said to.

The diesel truck got me looking into the quality of oil filters too - returned a bunch of Fram I had just bought for other rigs after that. And those of you using AC Delco filters look into it - clearly not the best either micron wise.......

I use Mobil 1 filters or K & N.

:driving:

The problem is, maybe depending on the dealership but, all the dealership's I've seen have young kids maybe 16-20 year olds, that do all the oil and lube stuff.

They don't waist there technicians time with just oil and lube stuff. So 9 times out of ten you just getting some young kids that don't care and or may not know what they're doing.

True story, took my car in for one of the " free oil changes for life" , drove home no problem, next morning on my way to work, only got about 6 miles from my house, saw lots of smoke behind me, and then the oil light came on. Pulled over, looked underneath, oil dripping out everywhere. Had to get towed to dealer. Tow truck driver messed up my front air dam. The dealer found the o ring seal from the old filter stuck up on where the filters seals into, and then the new filter with new o ring was screwed in and sealed against the old rubber o ring seal. That was the problem; the filter loosened up and the cold oil caused too much pressure and blew out the seal. Made a mess everywhere under the car. The had the young kid who did the original oil change come out to apologize, so I got to see who the culprit was; that's how I know it was a young kid; I'd guess about 18. It's oil changing 101 to inspect and clean the mating surfaces of the new oil filter. This should have never happened. I know it's not the end of the world but that's my experience with free oil changes, and why I don't take them for a vehicle I really car about like my truck; with the runaround car I had I really didn't care that much but it was a huge inconvenience and I lost a day's pay over it as I never made it to work.

• Like 1

Yes we know (we should) that the manual calls for 0W-20 for the 5.3 engine.

Can't remember the 6.2 oil spec off the top of my head, but oh well.

I'm curious what you 5.3 guys are running. Or plan to.

If you did steer of the recommended path, any issues?

I'm still in the free dealer oil change zone, so 0W-20 in my 6.2.

One thing that I wondered is why my 2015 Corvette, with basically the same motor, uses 5W-30 and why it isn't the same in the truck 6.2?

Mobile 1 0W-20 full synthetic with a Wix filter. Went with those because I'd gone to 3 auto putz stores before finding one that had BOTH the 0W-20 Dexos oil and the correct filter for my truck!!! I wasn't brand anal at the time.

I'm still in the free dealer oil change zone, so 0W-20 in my 6.2.

One thing that I wondered is why my 2015 Corvette, with basically the same motor, uses 5W-30 and why it isn't the same in the truck 6.2?

Don't take my word on this. But I read somewhere on here that they recommend 0W-20 on the truck, for better fuel economy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't take my word on this. But I read somewhere on here that they recommend 0W-20 on the truck, for better fuel economy.

I believe you're right on that one -but the Corvette in eco mode actually gets great fuel economy ...except I have never used eco mode :throwup:. Since the heavier oil recommendation in the Corvette probably has to do with the "performance" stress, I wonder if it would make sense to use the 5W-30 in the GMC too and maybe give up a little gas mileage?

I've heard the same, but then why do they recommend 5w-30 on the 4.3L V6

If they ran 0w-20 in the V6 that would still help with even better fuel economy, right.

I just would like to know if the 0w-20 can protect as well as the 5w-30 and if the 5w-30 would be safe to use.

Also I've seen mobile 1 has dexos approved 0w-30. And if you go to their website it lists it as an alternative to the 0w-20 but the owners manual only says to use 0w-20 all year round no matter the climate.

First oil change at 1000 miles was done with the oil and filter I bought from the dealer the day I picked up the truck: AC Delco 0w-20 with filter.

The AC Delco is Synthetic BLEND, not FULL sythetic, which was fine for break-in anyway. At my next oil change, at 5k, I'll be switching to full sythetic, most likely. After that, I'll be sticking with a 5k mile OCI.

When I picked up the oil and filter from the dealer, the bill was $46 for 9 quarts and a filter. Yes 9, because apparently GM changed the oil capacity from 8.5 quarts to an even 8 recently and the guy who got the oil obviously wasn't aware.

Per GM they have come out with a Second Gen dexos1 0w-20 full synthetic now.

"GM Oil Program - Second Generation dexos1 0W20
Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Dealers
ACDelco dexos1™ Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Last year we introduced the Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 5W30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil. Now we are introducing the Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 0W20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil. ACDelco dexos1 Full Synthetic Engine Oils are formulated with high performance synthetic basestocks and top-of-the-line additive technology to provide maximum protection for today's modern engines.
Licensed to the dexos1 engine oil specification:
  • The leading OEM engine oil specification
  • Utilizes the first and only engine test for pre-ignition protection
  • Uses an engine test for turbocharger oxidation & deposit protection
Formulated to meet industry specifications for U.S., European and Asian vehicle manufacturers to be applicable for use in a wide range of vehicle makes and models.
  • Licensed to ILSAC GF-5 specification
  • Meets API SN Resource Conserving Service Classification
Provides exceptional low-temperature flow and pumpability to reduce friction and wear at engine start-up in cold weather.
Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 0W20 Part Numbers:
Rollout:
Throughout the months of January and February, CCA will be selling both previous and new specification as the supply chain of oil is populated with the new specification.
Bulk Tank:
The new product formulation is backward compatible for 0W20 dexos1 applications. The target comingling rate of prior generation product to new is 10%. However, during the transition we also want to ensure that Dealers don't run out of oil as they near empty.
Product Mix is Not Changing
CCA will continue to offer Conventional motor oils and certain Mobil branded products such as Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac.
* Please note this is a rolling change. The oil distributors will be selling down current inventory and replacing it with the Second Generation 0W20 dexos1."
Edited by Black02Silverado

Even the best mechanics screw up. I've even double gasketed filters before. Never had one leave the bay without knowing it though.

But back on topic. I use pennzoil platinum. Most full synthetics are so close to each other it doesn't matter, unless your really stretching them out (and I change every 5k-6k without fail).

I use pennzoil because last year (and this year again) they offer $2 a quart rebate up to $48. Walmart sells it for 27ish a 5qt jug, so I can get 50qts (6ish changes) for 87 bucks with the rebate... Or less than 15 bucks an oil change. Can't beat that for full synthetic!

• Like 1

The problem is, maybe depending on the dealership but, all the dealership's I've seen have young kids maybe 16-20 year olds, that do all the oil and lube stuff.

They don't waist there technicians time with just oil and lube stuff. So 9 times out of ten you just getting some young kids that don't care and or may not know what they're doing.

True story, took my car in for one of the " free oil changes for life" , drove home no problem, next morning on my way to work, only got about 6 miles from my house, saw lots of smoke behind me, and then the oil light came on. Pulled over, looked underneath, oil dripping out everywhere. Had to get towed to dealer. Tow truck driver messed up my front air dam. The dealer found the o ring seal from the old filter stuck up on where the filters seals into, and then the new filter with new o ring was screwed in and sealed against the old rubber o ring seal. That was the problem; the filter loosened up and the cold oil caused too much pressure and blew out the seal. Made a mess everywhere under the car. The had the young kid who did the original oil change come out to apologize, so I got to see who the culprit was; that's how I know it was a young kid; I'd guess about 18. It's oil changing 101 to inspect and clean the mating surfaces of the new oil filter. This should have never happened. I know it's not the end of the world but that's my experience with free oil changes, and why I don't take them for a vehicle I really car about like my truck; with the runaround car I had I really didn't care that much but it was a huge inconvenience and I lost a day's pay over it as I never made it to work.

We have several years and more than 700+ pages of truck vibrations that GM service techs and engineers can't solve so a bungled oil change by an 18 year-old just out of high school isn't too surprising.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1