What oil are you using.

Quaker State UD Full Synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 in every car on the lot. Will also use Mobil 1 5W20 and Redline 5W30. All of these oils changed between 5 and 7 K have provided 200K plus trouble free miles from oil related issues. Redline is mixed with nothing other when used. It's a true polyol-ester.

Changed 2500 to 3000 I have also had great success with Phillips Trop-Artic, Wolfs Head, Cen-pe-co, Shell and Valvoline 10W30 conventional.

What I haven't had success with conventional or partial syn Penzoil. In fact I've never had a Penzoil motor make it to 100K without some oil related issue. Leaks both internal and external and heavy deposit lay out in the rocker and valley areas. Scoop it out with a tablespoon. After the second I quit banging my head against the wall. I has been 20 years since my last attempt to be fair.

It's my experience not the gospel.

• Like 2

Per GM they have come out with a Second Gen dexos1 0w-20 full synthetic now.

"GM Oil Program - Second Generation dexos1 0W20
Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Dealers
ACDelco dexos1™ Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Last year we introduced the Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 5W30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil. Now we are introducing the Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 0W20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil. ACDelco dexos1 Full Synthetic Engine Oils are formulated with high performance synthetic basestocks and top-of-the-line additive technology to provide maximum protection for today's modern engines.
Licensed to the dexos1 engine oil specification:
  • The leading OEM engine oil specification
  • Utilizes the first and only engine test for pre-ignition protection
  • Uses an engine test for turbocharger oxidation & deposit protection
Formulated to meet industry specifications for U.S., European and Asian vehicle manufacturers to be applicable for use in a wide range of vehicle makes and models.
  • Licensed to ILSAC GF-5 specification
  • Meets API SN Resource Conserving Service Classification
Provides exceptional low-temperature flow and pumpability to reduce friction and wear at engine start-up in cold weather.
Second Generation ACDelco dexos1 0W20 Part Numbers:
Rollout:
Throughout the months of January and February, CCA will be selling both previous and new specification as the supply chain of oil is populated with the new specification.
Bulk Tank:
The new product formulation is backward compatible for 0W20 dexos1 applications. The target comingling rate of prior generation product to new is 10%. However, during the transition we also want to ensure that Dealers don't run out of oil as they near empty.
Product Mix is Not Changing
CCA will continue to offer Conventional motor oils and certain Mobil branded products such as Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac.
* Please note this is a rolling change. The oil distributors will be selling down current inventory and replacing it with the Second Generation 0W20 dexos1."

Good to know. Looks like they gave me the old stock.

my last truck went over 200K trouble free miles on Mobile1 fluids in everything and it is now my sons first car. When my free changes are up (7) I will go to M1 and due to AZ heat go 5-30 or 10-30. You have to keep in mind the oil is spec'd thin not to make your engine last but to carve a fraction of mpg to meet regulation. a zero weight oil IMO in a hot climate is not enough protection. Or it is OK but has a very narrow safety margin.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

I used to be a Mobil 1 guy but the 'new' DIT engines need oils with better detergents due to no fuel wash. The Subaru guys rant and rave about this oil, its just difficult to find sometimes. I usually order online!

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 since first oil change at a shade over 500 miles. Was using the AC Delco PF63 filter but since they went to the E-Core design have switched to the Mobil 1 M1-212 filter. May look at other options like Bosch, Wix, or NAPA Gold if it saves me a dollar or two.

Edited by Lgetz
  • Like 1

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic at about 300 miles. Will likely go with Mobile 1 0W-20, but may consider 5W-30. We rarely wee temps below freezing. I'm in Texas and like many warm climate guys think the 0W-20 is mainly for fuel economy AND helps with cold weather starts. Used only Mobile 1 in the 02 Vette Z06 and 09 Harley SG.

I'm also with the guys who prefer to change their own oil and stay away from dealerships. 1) At 5000k changes, I won't change more that about once a year. 2) I don't like my cars, motorcycles or boats in others hands if I can do it myself, even if "free", shit happens. 3) The time I save doing it myself vs round-trip drive to the dealership and the wait pays for the cost of oil and filter - my time is very expensive!

• Like 1

GM recommends 0-W20. but eversince I got my truck I was having lifter noise and well it had a new oil change when I got it and endure this click-click for 3000 miles, then when it came time to change the oil since I didn't know what was put in last, I opted for my trusted Valvoline 5-W20 full synthetic. The ticking persist for a couple of weeks ever so slightly seemingly getting better after every start. Well today I remotely started my truck because it was fridgide outside and when I walked to it to my surprise I thought I had gone deaf in my left ear so I did a 180 only to hear the same thing ''NOTHING''. I couldn't believe it so when I got to my destination I killed it went in and when I came out waited until I was right beside the truck to remotely start it to see if I would get a lifter click and ''NOTHING'' came home got out without turning it off right away and ''NOTHING'' . That was this morning so before I decided to write this book went out and stood beside my truck and remotely started it and ''NOTHING'' (-13°C / 9°F ). So if I lose .1MPG using 5-W20 so be it at least I have peace of mind of a quiet engine and maybe my cam lobe isn't shot like rumors on here.

Edited by Coby7
  • Like 3

So whats anyone's thoughts on using 5w-30

The Silverado 4.3L V6 calls for 5w-30 all season long. So why not the 5.3L

Also the 6.2L Corvette calls for 5w-30 so why not the 6.2L trucks

I think I'm going to make the switch to 5w-30

Can a 0w-20 protect as well as a 5w-30

I personally don't care about fuel mileage, I just want the best protection

Any thoughts welcomed

The results gonefishn has posted here and on bobistheoilguy seems to show that 0w20 protects fine. He also recently used a 0w30 which also does well.

Based on all the evidence, the only reason GM went with 0w20 is to get a better EPA fuel economy score. The only reason they say the trucks MUST use 0w20 is because that's what was used when the truck was certified by the EPA for emissions and fuel economy.

Interesting fact: In the US Chevrolet recommends Dexos1 for petrol engines (lowest approved oil: 0w20). In Europe they recommend Dexos2 (lowest approved oil: 0w30).

Probably there is not really a reason against 0w30 or 5w30 despite the MPG (if there is really one).

So whats anyone's thoughts on using 5w-30

The Silverado 4.3L V6 calls for 5w-30 all season long. So why not the 5.3L

Also the 6.2L Corvette calls for 5w-30 so why not the 6.2L trucks

I think I'm going to make the switch to 5w-30

Can a 0w-20 protect as well as a 5w-30

I personally don't care about fuel mileage, I just want the best protection

Any thoughts welcomed

Yes, proven by UOA's that run this weight oil.

Using Amsoil 0W-20 with Ea 017 filter...planning on changing in 25k miles or 1yr. which ever comes first, but this depends on my results from Black Stone on the same oil in my Prius.

The Prius currently has 16k miles since the last change.

• Like 1

After decades of racing motorcycles (Roadrace Superbikes, both air and water cooled) and sports cars, mostly European, I have never understood the rationale for extended drain intervals.
Oil is cheap, motors, not so much.

As for weights and brands of synthetics, as long as film strength and durability under heat load are present, the lighter weight oils are best, especially in cold climes.
BUT, that is hard to tell...

On brands, there is a great big reason why some oils are formulated to price points in what is a very hotly contested retail market place.
I will say from racing and engine building over 30 years, that premium brand oils like Redline, Amsoil, Motul, Silkolene, and of late Royal Purple (RP) show marked improvement in surface wear, oxidization, and evaporation.

Even a street car like an Audi Turbo of late, shows marked reduction in "coking" and oil evaporation deposits when one of the premium oils are utilized.

HOWEVER, much of the above can be mitigated on a low stress engine like a V8 if frequent intervals (3-6k) are utilized.
(but then savings, over a premium brand diminish)

HTH and this has simply been my experience over 30+ years.

DH

Edited by Delta Hotel
  • Like 1