What oil are you using.

He updates it and the 0w20 tests was done this past year. Also the oils being debated here were the exact ones tested. They don't just change the oil without changing the name so 2013 pennzoil platinum is the same today as it was then.

I believe the real difference between platinum and ultra is the ultra is low ash which meets the requirements for your ecodiesels and engines with oil lubed turbines. Outside of that just use the platinum on these NA engines. After my first two freebies I'll probably use platinum or amsoil and the best filters I can find. Amsoil is such a pain to get though.

Well, in all fairness, neither the Platinum or the Ultra are a diesel rated oil, so it has nothing to do with eco diesel stuff. They are both gasoline engine rated oils. Only a dolt would put either of these oils in a diesel engine. Maybe you meant turbochargers instead of turbines. Turbochargers have been oil lubed since the beginning. Now, many turbochargers, especially the variable geometry versions, are water cooled along with oil lubrication.

How is Amsoil harder to get than any other oil? Just go online, make your selection, pay for it, and it gets delivered to your front door. Amsoil is pretty near the bottom of my go to oil selections, but the "pain to get" argument doesn't seem to match with reality.

While the oil psi capability compared to engine wear thing is interesting, one part that gets overlooked is the add pack in a motor oil, and its effect on that. Since the add pack makes up 20% of any motor oil, it has as dramatic effect on things as the base oil itself does.

Edited by Cowpie

I believe the real difference between platinum and ultra is the ultra is low ash which meets the requirements for your ecodiesels and engines with oil lubed turbines. Outside of that just use the platinum on these NA engines. After my first two freebies I'll probably use platinum or amsoil and the best filters I can find. Amsoil is such a pain to get though.

AMSOIL isn't that hard to acquire. You can either get it from me or do an online search and see if there is a dealer close to you. Some Advance Auto Stores around here carry it. Doesn't get any easier than that. You just have to do a little searching.

Well, in all fairness, neither the Platinum or the Ultra are a diesel rated oil, so it has nothing to do with eco diesel stuff. They are both gasoline engine rated oils. Only a dolt would put either of these oils in a diesel engine. Maybe you meant turbochargers instead of turbines. Turbochargers have been oil lubed since the beginning. Now, many turbochargers, especially the variable geometry versions, are water cooled along with oil lubrication.

How is Amsoil harder to get than any other oil? Just go online, make your selection, pay for it, and it gets delivered to your front door. Amsoil is pretty near the bottom of my go to oil selections, but the "pain to get" argument doesn't seem to match with reality.

While the oil psi capability compared to engine wear thing is interesting, one part that gets overlooked is the add pack in a motor oil, and its effect on that. Since the add pack makes up 20% of any motor oil, it has as dramatic effect on things as the base oil itself does.

Actually the Jeep/ram Ecodiesel have VERY stringent oil requirements. You used pennzoil Platinum Euro L (which didn't carry that name when it crossed the pond to the US) or Mobile 1 ESP. The fuel doesn't particularly matter. You'll find people run "diesel oil" in their boat outboards all the time. So I guess the entirety of Ecodiesel owners are dolts since they all used non "diesel" oils. Like I said at least one of the reasons for the low ash was for modern engines with turbines that were filled using the engine oil.

The amsoil bit is it's a pain because if I want to go chance my oil in an hour I can't? I can't drive to a Walmart or autozone or other store and get what I want that day. Sure you can order it online but that's not as convenient and being able to go next door and get it.

A turbocharger is a whole unit. Just like a jet engine. The turbine is what's inside and what's being lubricated. I have no doubt there are many different designs of them out there but that doesn't mean there aren't oil lubricated ones and why a specific spec was made.

Edited by FlyingTexan

Actually the Jeep/ram Ecodiesel have VERY stringent oil requirements. You used pennzoil Platinum Euro L (which didn't carry that name when it crossed the pond to the US) or Mobile 1 ESP. The fuel doesn't particularly matter. You'll find people run "diesel oil" in their boat outboards all the time. So I guess the entirety of Ecodiesel owners are dolts since they all used non "diesel" oils. Like I said at least one of the reasons for the low ash was for modern engines with turbines that were filled using the engine oil.

The amsoil bit is it's a pain because if I want to go chance my oil in an hour I can't? I can't drive to a Walmart or autozone or other store and get what I want that day. Sure you can order it online but that's not as convenient and being able to go next door and get it.

A turbocharger is a whole unit. Just like a jet engine. The turbine is what's inside and what's being lubricated. I have no doubt there are many different designs of them out there but that doesn't mean there aren't oil lubricated ones and why a specific spec was made.

lol well the Ecodiesel had fairly lax oil requirements originally. I beleive the first oil spec was a standard 5w30. But after the massive outbreak of engine failures I believe they're calling for Rotella Synthetic 5w40. Some negligent dealers are still putting standard 5w30 in though...

http://www.torquenews.com/3768/ram-ecodiesel-owners-need-be-aware-change-recommended-oil

Fairly lax? It was Chrysler spec 11106 which only had a couple options and cost $200 to get an oil change. It was very stringent. It wasn't until about 6 months ago they changed the spec to include rotella synthetic. There wasn't a "massive outbreak" in engine failures but those that did have issues were usually within the first 20k miles and had nothing to do with oil but the manufacturing process.

Edited by FlyingTexan

Actually, the shaft between the compressor and exhaust side is where the lubrication occurs. While the turbine (exhaust side) is flexible in the Variable Geometry designs currently in vogue, they are not lubricated. Only the shaft. And VG turbos are water cooled along with being shaft lubricated.

While indeed, there is Euro oil specs, they hardly apply to U.S. specs in general, and Pennz Platinum and Ultra in the U.S. is PCMO rated, not diesel rated. The Euro spec is available sporadically here, but not readily available. Shell's diesel rated oils fall under the Rotella line and are readily available. And CJ rated HDEO oils and, more so, the new CK version all address the low ash concerns regarding DPF's. And confusion with the consumer can occur when stopping in a store and getting a Platinum or Ultra labeled Pennzoil, if they are not savvy about the Euro specs. Most PP and PU oils are not of the Euro variety.

I saw a YouTube video where someone was showing how to change the oil on the Ram Ecodiesel. The fool was using a PCMO rated oil instead of a HDEO rated oil. That more than likely was where the problems came into play as to why Dodge came out with different oil requirements. PCMO oils are woefully inadequate to deal with diesel engine concerns.

As far as 30w oils being inadequate also, find that one a tough one to believe. All heavy duty diesels clear up to 15L have been factory filled with 10w30 CJ-4 for some time now, and that grade is recommended. Many of the newer engines in commercial trucks of the last few years having oil change interval recommendations from 35,000 to 50,000 miles and up to 1280 engine hours. Many of those engines now with well over 500,000 miles on them. And oh.... using variable geometry turbo chargers. I use a 10w30 HDEO in all my diesels with great results. From 1.8L on up thru 13L diesels I have. My highest mileage diesel currently at 628,000 miles, with no engine repairs and original turbo.

And a 10w30 usually is more shear stable than a 5w40. Many high end full synthetic 10w30's are actually a straight 30w, needing little or no viscosity modifiers, which can break down under stress, while meeting the cold flow rating of a 10w30. A 5w40 will typically start out with a below 30w base oil (to enable meeting the 5 cold flow rating) and use polymeric viscosity modifiers to get the viscosity of a 40w at operating temps. I have seen this in dozens of used oil samples.... a 10w30 holding original viscosity grade tighter, while 5w40's showing a broader viscosity degradation over the same use interval.

Edited by Cowpie

What a crock. You can take whatever oil you want in the engine with you when you go get it changed and they will use it. Sure, Amsoil is not available at the local discount store, but you can do what thousands of folks do and stock it at home, available when you need it.

Not convenient? You have to "go next door", as you say to get a oil, when Amsoil will drop it at your front door.

What a crock. You can take whatever oil you want in the engine with you when you go get it changed and they will use it. Sure, Amsoil is not available at the local discount store, but you can do what thousands of folks do and stock it at home, available when you need it.

Not convenient? You have to "go next door", as you say to get a oil, when Amsoil will drop it at your front door.

Not just that, if you don't want to order online, find a local dealer, AMSOIL lists them online. I am one and sell to people who don't want to order online and I also provide service to a small parts store and make sure they stay stocked.

Also there is a great dealer listed as a site sponsor. Nick is great to work with.

Edited by Chris

yes it's inconvenient. Sorry but that's why most don't use it

When they screw up your order, tell you that YOU pay to ship the wrong stuff back to them before they ship the correct stuff...the best was I was charged taxes and shipping for one state and it shipped from my home state!

Yeah, had two bad deals trying to "buy Amsoil online", Amsoil customer service sucked both times...I won't bother wasting my time. I don't buy the kool-aid...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Agreed....and then there is cost.

I picked up six quarts of Mobil 1 at Costco today for $27.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=mobil+1+oil&pageSize=96

For Amsoil $43 PLUS $8.50 shipping.

Easy choice.

Edited by rotti

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed....and then there is cost.

I picked up six quarts of Mobil 1 at Costco today for $27.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=mobil+1+oil&pageSize=96

For Amsoil $43 PLUS $8.50 shipping.

Easy choice.

Let's see.... Amsoil's oil that is comparable to most of the M1 on the shelf as per the Petroleum Quality Institute of America testing would be the Amsoil XL line. Only the new M1 Annual stuff is in the same camp as Amsoil Signature lineup. The Signature line exceeds normal on the shelf M1 formulations per independent testing. The cost for Amsoil XL 5w30 is less than $6 a quart when bought in gallon jugs. Now, if I drove to Costco, which the nearest one to me is 45 miles away, and paid their price for M1, I would still be losing money over just ordering the Amsoil and paying the shipping. I rarely use Amsoil stuff except in some special applications, and I don't use M1 in anything, so it all really doesn't affect me when it comes to my personal vehicles.

Even my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6, which calls for M1 5w30 by GM, gets a Pennzoil 10w30 conventional which meets the GM 6094M spec in the manual. A fantastic running 11 year old car. A real keeper. I get that Pennz conventional for around $15-$16 for a 5 quart jug. And the Petroleum Quality Institute of America did testing on the lowly Pennzoil conventional and it exceeded many full synthetics in both the additive package in the oil and the NOACK rating. So much so that PQIA retested to confirm the results. It beat the M1 Super Synthetic by a comfortable margin.

My 2015 2500 gets a Schaeffer 5w30 that is roughly $6 a quart and is delivered free to my front door. Schaeffer..... you know... the folks that have been making lubricants longer than anyone in N. America, since 1839, has been listed in the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in N. America, and they developed the lubes for the Apache Attack Helicopter and M1 Abrams tank. They even make some specialty products for Mobil and Shell that those two companies could not seem to make to meet the needs of some customer specialty applications. I have been to the Schaeffer facility in St. Louis and seen those products being packaged for Mobil and Shell.

Edited by Cowpie

Let's see.... Amsoil's oil that is comparable to most of the M1 on the shelf as per the Petroleum Quality Institute of America testing would be the Amsoil XL line. Only the new M1 Annual stuff is in the same camp as Amsoil Signature lineup. The Signature line exceeds normal on the shelf M1 formulations per independent testing. The cost for Amsoil XL 5w30 is less than $6 a quart when bought in gallon jugs. Now, if I drove to Costco, which the nearest one to me is 45 miles away, and paid their price for M1, I would still be losing money over just ordering the Amsoil and paying the shipping. I rarely use Amsoil stuff except in some special applications, and I don't use M1 in anything, so it all really doesn't affect me when it comes to my personal vehicles.

Even my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6, which calls for M1 5w30 by GM, gets a Pennzoil 10w30 conventional which meets the GM 6094M spec in the manual. A fantastic running 11 year old car. A real keeper. I get that Pennz conventional for around $15-$16 for a 5 quart jug. And the Petroleum Quality Institute of America did testing on the lowly Pennzoil conventional and it exceeded many full synthetics in both the additive package in the oil and the NOACK rating. So much so that PQIA retested to confirm the results. It beat the M1 Super Synthetic by a comfortable margin.

My 2015 2500 gets a Schaeffer 5w30 that is roughly $6 a quart and is delivered free to my front door. Schaeffer..... you know... the folks that have been making lubricants longer than anyone in N. America, since 1839, has been listed in the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in N. America, and they developed the lubes for the Apache Attack Helicopter and M1 Abrams tank. They even make some specialty products for Mobil and Shell that those two companies could not seem to make to meet the needs of some customer specialty applications. I have been to the Schaeffer facility in St. Louis and seen those products being packaged for Mobil and Shell.

Cowpie teaches me somethin new every day. Thank u sir