Lifted my 15 Sierra today, already regretting it

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lifted trucks look good and are a lot of fun if you're into that. I was for a long time but now a leveled truck is as much as I'm interested in doing.

If you want to keep the look you now have, re-gearing and a tune will improve the performance for sure. Maybe just a little if, at all, on the mpg as many have said.

i have -12 offset with 33" M/Ts on a leavel with a diablosport 93 octane tuned and an exhaust. Stock i would get 22-23 HWY, Before tires with a tune 20 avg.

Now i can barely squeak 18 highway if i try to drive like my mother. closer to 16.5 if I drive it. id say you don't have much room at all with a lift ( kills the trucks aero, might as well be a flat plate in front and pushing

35's.)

If you are using either your odometer or the vehicle's computer to get a fuel economy reading, your mpg number is incorrect due to the vehicle under-reporting mileage by ~13%. Your actual number would be 15-16 mpg. Use a GPS system to log miles and get a more accurate number.

A lower rear gear (don't forget to replace the front gear too!) may help around town as you won't need to get your foot as deep into it, but your highway mileage would suffer as the engine must spin faster. Your tires have effectively given you a taller overdrive. The gears would come close to correcting your speedometer, so your fuel mileage would change again not only by changing the amount of fuel consumed, but also changing the amount of miles driven.

Pics of said gas-guzzler?

Owning a truck and then being concerned about MPG ... ? Duh ...

Lifting a truck to look cool ... ? axle ground clearance remains the same / nothing gained ...

Oversized tires that that are not functional ... ? useless off pavement ...

I do not think this forum will offer you any help ...

Your thinking about dumping more money into your truck just to get the mpg's back which is not going to happen. Think of it this way the money you dump in gears, intake etc just try and gain some mpg's back (again not going to happen) your going to spend thousands on that and the money you spend will buy you a whole hell of a alot of fuel and will take you years and years to break even, your going to blow your money trying to gain mpg's and as others said "You pay to Play)

Also going to that size tire means an all terrain best case or mud tire worst case, and those typically have a higher rolling resistance compared to a stock size all terrain or all season...it's not just the weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

With my leveling kit and 33's my mpgs went down by 2 or 3 on the highway so I am not surprised you took such a big hit with your lift. Unfortunately there isn't anything to do but take off the lift and go down to a leveling kit with say 275/60/20, 275/65/20 or 295/55/20 all terrain tires. As others have said look at the tire weight when making a choice.

Owning a truck and then being concerned about MPG ... ? Duh ...

Lifting a truck to look cool ... ? axle ground clearance remains the same / nothing gained ...

Oversized tires that that are not functional ... ? useless off pavement ...

I do not think this forum will offer you any help ...

Lifting the truck may have no affect on ground clearance, however lifting it to accommodate and install larger wheels/tires will change your axle height and ground clearance. OP effectively changed his clearance with his setup.

Thanks for all the info. The look of the truck is worth the sacrifice in gas mileage. Plus I did not take into account that the speedo is off due to the larger tires therefore the mpg calculation on the digital info display is also inaccurate and will likely improve once the calibration is done. Also as for weight I forgot to mention my initial mileage observation was immediately after the lift was installed with the stock wheels and tires in the back. This added weight though minimal, likely played a factor as well.

Forgive me but I'm posting using my phone. There have been some requests to see pics of the truck but I don't know how to post pics via my phone. Maybe because I am a new member I'm not allowed to post pics yet because I don't see an option to upload pics. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy s7 if that makes a difference.

Forgive me but I'm posting using my phone. There have been some requests to see pics of the truck but I don't know how to post pics via my phone. Maybe because I am a new member I'm not allowed to post pics yet because I don't see an option to upload pics. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy s7 if that makes a difference.

Instead of the mobile version look on bottom of page for full version. Once you go to post it gives you option to upload pics.

Archived