Failed Undercoat ** Please Help

Got a new truck the other day from Denooyer In Albany NY. Plan on keeping it a while so before I even bought anything I was already talking to some people about undercoating to prevent against rust week before this.

Brief summary, Picked out the car Wednesday morning left Dealership at 10:45, Picked up the truck at 4PM same day. Was a little worried since it was only like 30 out that day and had less then 3-4 hours of dry time. Was told it was fine. Friday I had after market wheels put on. Yesterday when I was unloading my like NEW factory wheels with 60 miles on them I noticed over spray all over the back of the wheels. Wheels are aluminum. I know from doing black topping / seal-coating that will be almost impossible to get off with out wrecking the wheels finish, having to re-polish them.

At this point I called up to bitch at the dealership as I was going to try and resell these wheels/rims. When I spoke to them I said to them what kind of shit job did they do and did I have to get on a creeper and inspect the work...

Well below are the posted pictures of the fine work. At this point im not sure what to do. IN spots its so thick it actually dripped and isn't even dry STILL 4 days later. Also where the truck was lifted to put my new wheels on took the coating right off and is now peeling. They never removed my spare tire so its not sprayed under neither it but instead all over it. Also my exhausted was sprayed all over so I have been getting a nice toxic burning smell. Which reading on 3ms website your not suppose to spray(If thats the product they used) They missed tons of spots.its uneven, super heavy in spots to the point of dripping. pealing off and STILL WET!!!!!! I know reading up too thick can actually cause it to bubble like it is, peel and get water underneath which is worse then having nothing. This is just my typical luck. I'm gonna go in Monday and demand a full refund including tax interest since it was added into my payment. There pretty much no way of fixing it at this point. You can't strip this stuff off. I contacted GM direct to file a complaint, but if anyone else has had an issue please let me know.

2017-02-05-09.46.13.jpg2017-02-05-09.46.16.jpg2017-02-05-09.46.06.jpg2017-02-05-09.45.54.jpg2017-02-05-09.45.42.jpg2017-02-05-09.45.37.jpg2017-02-05-09.44.49.jpg2017-02-05-09.44.39.jpg2017-02-05-09.44.12.jpg2017-02-05-09.44.07.jpg2017-02-05-09.43.38.jpg2017-02-05-09.43.14.jpg2017-02-05-09.43.06.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoddy work for sure. However this is not a general motors issue this is an "independent" dealership. This coating is not factory applied. If you dont get any resolution from the dealer (go to the owner) your only recourse may be hiring a lawyer or going through the BBB (or equivalent). Keep the photos and document any conversations with the dealer. Also you may want to keep it civil, if you act in a level headed manner that may help things. Immediatlyslamming them and not giving them a chance can hurt your cause.

Are you sure it's a coating that every really "dries" or hardens? Most modern coatings don't ever harden and are soft for their life (to be self healing).

Getting it off should be simple, a rag with a little kerosene; that's how we removed road tar and undercoating overspray at a dealership I worked out.

Anything sprayed is going to have overspray...you should have seen the cars after being Quaker-coated. It sounds like they forgot to detail it after having it undercoated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

looks like factory, only a slob doubled it up and spewed it all over.

the real undercoat removes the manufacture wax and goes with an aftermarket.

KBS, poly mixes, many brands.

a popular one here local isn't even an american truck dealer..

I think it was toyota or nissan, had real undercoat offered for any make or model.

GM does not have real undercoat.

That's about what I would expect out of a dealership. Probably spent 10 minutes on the thing, then sent it out the door.

Just judging by how the lift contact points peeled the stuff right off, kerosene, diesel, or #2 heating oil will take that overspray right off.

Looks like a crap-quality gimmick of an undercoat, applied with no pride of workmanship - a lose-lose, unfortunately.

Would have been better off with a gallon of used motor oil and a paint sprayer ...

My advice...pay a couple bucks to have an attorney draft a Letter and send to the dealer with a copy to GM Zone Manager. That is a messy shitty job probably done by a $10 an hour lot bit. That job will cost you down the road as it is not applied properly and could end up holding moisture and rusting underneath and you would never know it.

She then for shoddy workmanship. Phone calls and visits will get you nothing. Deal is done and dealer will do nothing for you. Sad but go hard at them. I would want that stripped completely and back to factory however they have to. Anything less is unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potential host of issues here

Wheels damaged

Not applied properly

Toxic fumes

Is it on electrical anywhere

Cant depend on it for rust prevention. Truck will still rust where not applied where you think it is but might not be

It's a mess

Sorry. This sucks. As someone that has truck OCD I would be fuming and wouldn't want the truck now. I feel your pain

If the frames are OEM wax coated how is any undercoating material going to stick and cure?

unless they used the same wax the factory uses, it won't, it'll just flake off when the factory coating flakes off.

dzemboc7 - Make sure you get that frame recoated before it starts to rust! Once rust starts forming under the wax it'll be a lot harder to keep under control.

We ran into this before in a different thread. Instead of coming on here and bashing and complaining, take it back

to the dealer and give them a chance to make it right. If they don't, then you can air your grievances.

Everybody makes mistakes at one time or another.

I think the OP posted a very factual outline of what his experience was and sought input. A mistake Is ordering a cheeseburger and getting it without cheese. Bringing your 40k truck to the dealer and having them put a half assed effort in it too easy job is just bullshit and deserves to be called out on a public forum just so others can have the awareness. I don't think they deserve a second chance, if they didn't screw it up the first time it wouldn't be a problem, The everyone makes mistakes defense is a crutch for people that expect the worst

Archived