How fast do you really drive?

Grumpy Bear

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not truly a way to represent how fast you drive, since the Engine Hours meter is calculating when the engine is running it will be calculating hours even at idle. Therefor, you can't take you example as even probably 95% accurate. Most trucks do have an actual average speed on their instrument cluster.

I average 53 mph for over 795,000 miles and I am passed by over 9 outta 10 vehicles on the road.....multiple times.....some 4, 5 times a day.

What if 62 of those hours are idling? Not a good measurement system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IF frogs had wings they wouldn’t bump the butt each time they jumped.

This doesn’t have to be complicated and I expected that people would use some degree of common sense. If you don’t want to see the numbers, then don’t post.

US military. Cat. John Deere, White, Cummings and just about every stationary power plant engineer on the planet uses an hours to miles conversion to estimate wear and maintenance and trade values. Must have some merit. I’m curious and would like to see the data. It’s why I asked for Pictures. To sort the trash. Lie from the heart if you must.

I’m 63 and have used an hour meter since I started to drive. My lifetime numbers for all types of transport fall between 35 and 40 mph. Right on target with the major players.

Idling is part of driving. Stop signs. Road construction. Warm ups. Most people don’t do it intentionally without some good cause which is part of THEIR story. Unless they own an oil well.

If my motor idled 62 of 462 then feel free to shoot me on site for stupidity.

Ok,

Last oil change 68,745

Hour Meter: 2127

Sorry no photo at the moment to prove the accuracy.

I should change my name to Gramps 32.3 is slower than almost all the speed limits here :(

"96 MPH? Really?? I didn't know this truck would do 96 miles per hour!!"--The Snowman in Smokey & The Bandit.

My 2009 Silverado is factory governed at something like 97mph in real life. So I've heard. Not that I've ever driven past the speed limit, Your Honor. . . :driving:

:rollin:

I have way way too many idling hours to come up with any kind of accurate calculation for the average mph! Heck, it'd probably be 10 mph, and as far as I know, I still own most of the long-distance average land speed records in these here parts! Oh, and also part of an oil well.

100,000 miles / 2500 hours = 40 mph

100,000 miles / 3000 hours = 33 mph

500 hours or 3 full weeks of idling moved it 7 mph and still within averages noted by all major manufactures.

Are you guys telling me that in 100,000 miles you just let your truck idle for 21 days?

Really?

Your argument sounds better until we put numbers to it.

If your an outside supervisor say on a pipeline or utility ROW in a hot state like Texas you'd be in the negative MPG going by the hour meter. People who say idling the engine all day is bad all I can say is I've owned at least 20 trucks over the years the start in the morning and run all day then haul ass home. Never a problem.

If your an outside supervisor say on a pipeline or utility ROW in a hot state like Texas you'd be in the negative MPG going by the hour meter. People who say idling the engine all day is bad all I can say is I've owned at least 20 trucks over the years the start in the morning and run all day then haul ass home. Never a problem.

At the steel mill back in 2004 we had an F350 CC Longbed. We averaged 4 mpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Missing the point. These are exceptions that can be extracted with stats IF we had some data. It is not the norm. Of course there are always outliers. Your stating them as if they were normal or the majority. They are not.

Just adding my two cents, I can say thou in most business uses especially in cold up north and hot down south those trucks run all day at least half the year. Some of those use engine hours for oil changes verses miles.

Missing the point. These are exceptions that can be extracted with stats IF we had some data. It is not the norm. Of course there are always outliers. Your stating them as if they were normal or the majority. They are not.

Here is current average for the 2010

796,165 miles, 14935.3 hours

53.307 mph

that would be fast! you must have open lands.

An airplane I worked on was at 14k hours.

makes me curious.

550mph and 7.7 million miles would be my guess. :)

I am more highway than anything, I wonder how to determine an old truck.

I do give a lengthy idle. My location is 5-25F colder than the nearest forecast. Very cold for months.

Colder than canada to the west.

I even have 5w30 mobil 1 going thick enough to smack a lifter for a few seconds in the mornings.

Archived