Why do you chose GM?

Doug Rosewood

Just curious why everybody chose/chooses to drive GM. Me myself, I was raised in a GM owning family, from monte carlos to caprices. I've owned many vehicles from beaters to used..yes they've all had issues but i've never had one leave me on the side of the road. I think years of having loyal vehicles has made me loyal to GM.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used trucks for work. In later years I used 1/2 ton trucks and stuck with one dealer ( GMC) they would meet or beat any deal going on elsewhere, never had a problem with GMCs. Family and business contacts used all brands and I rode and drove them all, not that much difference between brands really. So it boils down to I found a good dealer. I bought cars and SUVs from then too (Hyundai).

I think what convinced me was I grew up near Detroit during the muscle car era. Big family and lots of muscle cars from all the manufactures. The small block Chevy/GM back then(points and carbs) just seemed to run better with less investment $ to take them to the strip,1/4 mile. :happysad:

like dominoes for me.

my first road going was a 301 pontiac on a 79 delta88.

steel breaking was very common, right to the guts.

no extra tough sales pitch from me, we made our own.

as it turns out, the oversqauare runtime of the smallblock, and the steel not needing a special weld..became my favorite.

I built my own.

from 1974 chevelle, I even took in an 81 chevette with bright white interior lined with red pintrsipes.

3 g-body, 1 genuine SS, a 79 heavy half ton... now my 1996 gmc.

with knowledge I hang back.

23 vehicle sin all, I have had other brands.

I even kept a subaru for a 3 main bearing boxer.(I still think of the incomplete corvair with a benz crank flat six)

I even look at 20 yr old trucks on craigslist. I have drawn lines at obd2, I love injection today.

I did have the extreme masochist job of crew chief on 50 yr old planes for war duties in bangor maine, and grew up with dad's trucking since I was 12.

20 below does not stop anything.

everything breaks.. even 48 foot trailers and tandem pins letting go.

it is a reward somehow. I like the modern diesels, all of the big 3. .. since the late 90s. Turbo editions.

for the most part, it is gm gas v8.. especially iron with manual transmissions. That is not the newest, and it bothers me.

in fact it is quite disturbing.

When I was a kid dad had a k10, k20, then a k1500, grandpa had a c20 then a k2500, my uncle had a k1500 and '68 Camaro he took me out in all the time. The first vehicle I ever drove was grandpa's k2500 around the farm. I grew up around GM trucks and as a kid you always wanted to drive what your dad or grandpa drove, so when I turned 15 I bought one. I've owned GM trucks ever since.

I'm not entirely biased either, GM is just what I'm accustomed to and am comfortable with. There are plenty of other cars and trucks out there that catch my eye.

I grew up in the Ford religion. Parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts all Bishops of Ford. Big fans of the FE series motors, Ford Top Loader gearbox and 9” Nodular differentials. Poor man’s quick change.

But being somewhat of a Crow it was Body By Fisher coachwork that sparkled. My interest for cars and trucks peaked about the 1964 to 1967 era where IMHO GTO, Chevelle, 442 and Grand Sports had a four year running advantage in “bling”. Don’t kid yourself the 67 Ford Galaxy 500 XL in Britany Blue is hands down the #1 all-time red carpet winner for stunning good looks. Even GM guys turned their heads. Still it was just one year where they put it all together.

My first three cars were Fords. First two a used mid 60’s Galaxy and a Custom and then the 70’s happened and I bought a new 76 Granada 351 Sport coupe. Nice enough car but not what I remembered and it was only getting worse. My next two would be GM. A 76 Corvette and my favorite 64 Malibu SS. Neither were as reliable or as fast as my Fords but the look drew me. The Vette was indeed the Money Pit.

The next two decades were lost in ugly rusty rotting cars with junk for drivetrains. After a 98 5.0 I went to the land of the rising sun and bought a stringer of 3 Honda Civics. (and a Toyota) All of them new and all of them twice the car of anything built this side of the pond but each becoming more like what I left that what I’d hoped for. A detectable and steady decline in workmanship.

Then all the sudden out of the blue Dad becomes a GM convert as did my youngest brother who is more than a solid mechanic. Dad’s head does not turn easy and I paid attention. They were buying up anything GM with the 3800 in it for peanuts and driving them like they were 90’s Honda’s. This motor had been around in some form since I was a child and expressed my sediments about development over replacement. When the series 3 came out I found a very clean very low mile 09 Buick LaCrosse and the very last of the 3800 Series III motors. I had also turned 60+ and the cracker box Honda from the Windy City to the Mile High city was becoming undoable.

When Chevy replaced the iron 4.3 with the Ecotec3 4.3 I was devastated as it would have been my first choice for truck power in a light half ton but Dad, being the smartest guy I know, gave it the nod.

We’ve been so impressed with this little bundle of dynamite and the six speed behind it that we have over the last few years converted the entire fleet to GM. Two Buicks, my RCSB and the Sugar Bears GMC Terrain.

I will add that this 15 Silverado is the nicest driving vehicle I’ve ever owned. How they do that in a pickup is beyond me. Not the nicest riding but it nearly drives itself. Amazing.

I was partial to big GMs in the 60s and 70s I'll take a 69 impala 427 or Caprice over just about anything or maybe skylark GSX stage 2. The biggest problem I had with fords from that time was they build a performance car and not put a factory posi in it.

My dad and I fell in love with my Silverado back in 2002 and it was a done deal. He bought another 2006 later on and still has it, also going strong.

But before these trucks my dad was a fan of Fords. And he now also has a 2013 Nissan Frontier.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Pops has been a GM guy since forever, and I was a gearhead from the word go. Didn't hurt that the first two family vehicles were a Cadillac DeVille and a Chevrolet Suburban, and my love for American V8s was sealed.

In addition to feels, GM, moreso Cadillac and Chevrolet, generally goes for evolution as opposed to revolution, V8s are readily available, and styling is never bad. Maybe not as slick at sometimes, but I generally like how GM cars look. They also tend to be user friendly and quite durable in my experience.

I grew up in the Ford religion. Parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts all Bishops of Ford. Big fans of the FE series motors, Ford Top Loader gearbox and 9” Nodular differentials. Poor man’s quick change.

But being somewhat of a Crow it was Body By Fisher coachwork that sparkled. My interest for cars and trucks peaked about the 1964 to 1967 era where IMHO GTO, Chevelle, 442 and Grand Sports had a four year running advantage in “bling”. Don’t kid yourself the 67 Ford Galaxy 500 XL in Britany Blue is hands down the #1 all-time red carpet winner for stunning good looks. Even GM guys turned their heads. Still it was just one year where they put it all together.

My first three cars were Fords. First two a used mid 60’s Galaxy and a Custom and then the 70’s happened and I bought a new 76 Granada 351 Sport coupe. Nice enough car but not what I remembered and it was only getting worse. My next two would be GM. A 76 Corvette and my favorite 64 Malibu SS. Neither were as reliable or as fast as my Fords but the look drew me. The Vette was indeed the Money Pit.

The next two decades were lost in ugly rusty rotting cars with junk for drivetrains. After a 98 5.0 I went to the land of the rising sun and bought a stringer of 3 Honda Civics. (and a Toyota) All of them new and all of them twice the car of anything built this side of the pond but each becoming more like what I left that what I’d hoped for. A detectable and steady decline in workmanship.

Then all the sudden out of the blue Dad becomes a GM convert as did my youngest brother who is more than a solid mechanic. Dad’s head does not turn easy and I paid attention. They were buying up anything GM with the 3800 in it for peanuts and driving them like they were 90’s Honda’s. This motor had been around in some form since I was a child and expressed my sediments about development over replacement. When the series 3 came out I found a very clean very low mile 09 Buick LaCrosse and the very last of the 3800 Series III motors. I had also turned 60+ and the cracker box Honda from the Windy City to the Mile High city was becoming undoable.

When Chevy replaced the iron 4.3 with the Ecotec3 4.3 I was devastated as it would have been my first choice for truck power in a light half ton but Dad, being the smartest guy I know, gave it the nod.

We’ve been so impressed with this little bundle of dynamite and the six speed behind it that we have over the last few years converted the entire fleet to GM. Two Buicks, my RCSB and the Sugar Bears GMC Terrain.

I will add that this 15 Silverado is the nicest driving vehicle I’ve ever owned. How they do that in a pickup is beyond me. Not the nicest riding but it nearly drives itself. Amazing.

Loved the 3.8 from Buick to last gen 3's.......I have been so impressed by that engine! GM family here and since being in construction the bottom line comes down to the TRUCK FLEET and the FERD'S sorry boys they look nice....but to hardcore contractors they don't last and that's the cold hard facts! Yeah, and the 4.3 jeesh had those thing running on 4-5 cylinders for years couldn't kill it!

Archived