Why do you chose GM?

Doug Rosewood

If I was afraid to purchase an aluminium body F150 that will crush like a piece of a can..

Some drivers in my country are really bad and im afraid that a minor accident can do a lot of damage to the body of the car..

Women drivers here cannot even park, its a bad idea to get an F150.. So I went for a GMC sierra..

Nah Im kidding.. I love GM a lot and that is my main reason, they are more beautiful and powerful than rams and can live longer than a ford.

Also, the resale value is better than ram and ford in my country..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no loyalty whatever. I only moved to the US in 2010. My wife had a Hemi Jeep that she loved and I bought a 99 F150 locally (nothing but Ford dealers out here). Wife bought another Jeep but with an Ecodiesel and it was amazing so I nutted up and got a Ram with the Ecodiesel. 6 months in and the problems started with both vehicles. Wife decided she wanted something bigger anyway for our growing family so went and test drove a Suburban. Really nice, but it felt ungodly slow. We had to have a 6.2 in something as big, so we found our way to the GMC dealer. The guy at the dealer saw us drooling over a Denali XL and threw us the keys. "See you in 15 minutes" he said. That trust meant a lot to us, as everywhere else wants photocopies of licenses and chaperones. She has put 50,000 miles on the Yukon in the year since, and it's been amazing. My Ram had its third trip to the dealer this year in February which was the straw that broke the camel's back so I went to see our guy at the GMC place. Wanted a SLT 1500 with the big motor but they just happened to have the incentives which brought the Denali down thousands cheaper than the SLT I wanted. The Chrysler place bought back my truck so I don't need to feel guilty about trading it to an unsuspecting third party, and I got my Sierra on Thursday.

Hopefully we have found our forever brand [emoji322]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ps. My 60,000 mile Ecodiesel Ram was recently struggling to get over 23 mpg (used to do 27 easily) but my 6.2l Sierra has averaged 22 so far over the 120 miles I've done. No contest! [emoji106]

I originally looked at those...then I started doing some digging and found that they have some issues that pop up...think emissions is killing that engine. Crying shame.

I originally looked at those...then I started doing some digging and found that they have some issues that pop up...think emissions is killing that engine. Crying shame.

Yup, the emissions crap failed several times on both vehicles resulting in full egr system replacement multiple times under warranty. Also both vehicles had air suspension faults and electrical gremlins...

Yup, the emissions crap failed several times on both vehicles resulting in full egr system replacement multiple times under warranty. Also both vehicles had air suspension faults and electrical gremlins...

Just curious? What would possess you to purchase an Italian made diesel motor in the first place?

Just curious? What would possess you to purchase an Italian made diesel motor in the first place?

From what I've read, that engine has been used in delivery (box) trucks in Europe for ~50yrs and has a great track record. It was the emissions garbage they were forced to use here in the states that ruins that one.

Wife worked for GM for 30 years. Even my father in-law who had over 25 years at Chrysler when my wife started GM said " now we can get a real car with her discount instead of sometimes paying more than Joe Blow off the street". He went on to buy 3 new full size cars through my wife. Were going on our 23rd new GM since 1979.

I had great luck with the 2.8L VM diesel in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. One rock solid motor. If they offered it again, I would consider it. Oh... the 2.8L GM diesel in the Colorado/Canyon platform, it's heritage comes from that 2.8L VM diesel I had. GM owned 50% of VM Motori and then later sold it to Fiat during the bailout nonsense. But they took one of VM top engine designers with them and he now is chief engineer for the 2.8L GM diesel. They brought the 2.8L with them when they sold off their share of VM.

I wouldn't buy that Ecodiesel simply because it is a V diesel. I am not a huge fan of V engines to begin with, but despise V diesels. I will only buy inlines for numerous reasons. There is good reason why V diesels were tried in the heavy truck arena and now there is none.

I had great luck with the 2.8L VM diesel in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. One rock solid motor. If they offered it again, I would consider it. Oh... the 2.8L GM diesel in the Colorado/Canyon platform, it's heritage comes from that 2.8L VM diesel I had. GM owned 50% of VM Motori and then later sold it to Fiat during the bailout nonsense. But they took one of VM top engine designers with them and he now is chief engineer for the 2.8L GM diesel. They brought the 2.8L with them when they sold off their share of VM.

I wouldn't buy that Ecodiesel simply because it is a V diesel. I am not a huge fan of V engines to begin with, but despise V diesels. I will only buy inlines for numerous reasons. There is good reason why V diesels were tried in the heavy truck arena and now there is none.

Cowpie? What do think GM is specifically going after with their recent tie up with NAVISTAR?

Cowpie? What do think GM is specifically going after with their recent tie up with NAVISTAR?

I am just curious? I have no idea other than GM using NAVISTAR FRAMES/BODIES and placing V diesel engines in them?

Cowpie? ARE the newest tractor trailers being built today all inline engines? I have zero knowledge on this......subject?

Those are medium duty trucks. Right now, the 5.2L inline 4 diesel is the current offering, with a Allison 2500 behind it. The yet in production 8500 is a candidate for the 6.6 Dmax, but nothing solid yet. Frankly, given what that class of truck is all about, they would wise to consider more engine than a V Dmax. Something in the 9L to 11L.

Yes, all class 7 & 8 heavy trucks have inline only engines.

Archived