Why do you chose GM?

Doug Rosewood

I had great luck with the 2.8L VM diesel in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. One rock solid motor. If they offered it again, I would consider it. Oh... the 2.8L GM diesel in the Colorado/Canyon platform, it's heritage comes from that 2.8L VM diesel I had. GM owned 50% of VM Motori and then later sold it to Fiat during the bailout nonsense. But they took one of VM top engine designers with them and he now is chief engineer for the 2.8L GM diesel. They brought the 2.8L with them when they sold off their share of VM.

I wouldn't buy that Ecodiesel simply because it is a V diesel. I am not a huge fan of V engines to begin with, but despise V diesels. I will only buy inlines for numerous reasons. There is good reason why V diesels were tried in the heavy truck arena and now there is none.

i always enjoy your posts! Thanks for teaching me something new about diesels today!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some have speculated that the 2.8L was a unique GM design that had no legacy to it, or that it was yet another Izusu/GM collaboration. This article that is an interview with the 2.8L Dmax chief engineer should clear that up. It is a VM / GM deal that was started before GM sold off it's VM share. So as much as some might poo poo the Italian engine thing, sorry, but the GM 2.8L Dmax has it's roots in Italian design and the Chief engineer on the engine came straight from VM Motori in Italy.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1511-interview-nicola-menarini-global-program-manager-and-chief-engineer-gm-duramax-2-8l/

The main reason is because Nissan doesn't offer a 3/4 ton truck. Long time Nissan owner and I had high hopes for the Titan XD to be the 3/4 ton to rival the big 3 manufacturers. Since they didn't do that I had to pick one of the other 3. When I say 3, I guess I lump Chevy and GM together. Anyway, after months of research, I felt the GM/Chevy truck would be the best for our needs. Reliability, comfort, performance all came in nice balance. I chose the GM over the Chevy mostly based on the front end. Don't like that "squinty" look of the Chevy front end.

The main reason is because Nissan doesn't offer a 3/4 ton truck. Long time Nissan owner and I had high hopes for the Titan XD to be the 3/4 ton to rival the big 3 manufacturers. Since they didn't do that I had to pick one of the other 3. When I say 3, I guess I lump Chevy and GM together. Anyway, after months of research, I felt the GM/Chevy truck would be the best for our needs. Reliability, comfort, performance all came in nice balance. I chose the GM over the Chevy mostly based on the front end. Don't like that "squinty" look of the Chevy front end.

But......I thought the "Tweener" would solve this problem? Look, Nissan is about the last manufacture I would look at for anything! Glad you bought the GMC and not the GM............

But......I thought the "Tweener" would solve this problem? Look, Nissan is about the last manufacture I would look at for anything! Glad you bought the GMC and not the GM............

Our last handful of vehicles have been Nissan. We are going on 15 years on our Maxima. I had an older Frontier I bought used and bought a brand new one in 2012. Never a problem with either one of them. The XD was rushed to market and had way too many design related problems. Also, it was more of a "heavy half" than a real 3/4 ton so it really wouldn't have done the job.

My GMC has been in the shop way too much recently and it's only 8 months old. Believe me, if there was a good Nissan 3/4 ton out there I'd be driving it.

To me, brand loyalty is dead. But when it came down to buying this last truck I currently own, it was a pretty hard decision given my dad had a 13' Ram 1500 Hemi, the Ford Ecoboost Lariats were incredible and the 14' GMC Sierra. At this point, it really came down to the best price for what I would get and hands down the SLT Sierra was the better deal. Fords are over priced and Dodge was pretty close but I got an incredible deal for my GMC. Also, my old truck was a GMC SLT Sierra and I know how to work on that truck the most. So it was a no-brainer. I still see some of those Fords and Dodges and think those are some damn good looking trucks. My only regret is not getting the 6.2l. Those things are insane.

In my case the loyalty skiped a generation. Both my my grandfathers were GM people but my dad was Mopar. My first car was a 67 Camaro and apart from a 1 year stint when I owned a Mazda rotary I have always had GM!

Just read recently Nissan is gaining in market share, same with Hyundai. I happen to have owned more GMs except in the last ten years it's been Hyundai. Kinda eyeing the canyon, just waiting to make sure there're not suffering the ills of the full sized GMs of late.

1. It's an American brand and Americans work there.

2. My wife retired from the "old" GM and we get a nice chunk of change from them every month.

3. Their trucks definitely look better than the competition.

Don't drive no ugly truck!

My 2500 was a good buy, and it is a good pickup for what I need. Not quite what I was looking for in a pickup, but better than the other stuff I looked at and pricing was good. I started doing research on a replacement for the wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS recently. All I got was depressed. Every brand of car or SUV has some particular feature(s) I liked, but more that I didn't. There is nothing being made currently that really causes me to want to go to a dealer and take a closer look. The Caddy is still in pretty good shape overall, so will just hold onto it longer, even if I have to drop in a reman engine in it at some point. The closest candidate as a replacement for her car seemed to be the Subaru Outback Limited, but still didn't win a chance of me going to a dealer and taking a closer look.

• 3 months later...

Wife has a Subaru Outback and one daughter a Crosstrex. These cars are awesome. I have to say for a car Subaru has my vote.

As for brand loyalty in a truck? Not anymore. It's about what I need, the capability and best deal. That's for gas. Diesel I am waiting for the HiLux to come to America. It's been a myth forever. Otherwise staying with gas.

My dad worked at GM for many years and I'm a great believer in supporting domestic manufacturing. Even if he hadn't worked there I still would have bought either a GM, Ford or Chrysler.

This is my first GM since my 65 Nova I bought in high school for $300!! I've owned Fords, Toyotas, Saabs, Chryslers, Nissan and several Volvos(my personal favorite car brand).. I had zero brand loyalty to make this truck purchase a GM. I liked the styling, I liked the reviews (other than chevy shake). I test drove a new ram but wasn't keen on fiat.. so when GM offered the 17% off last month, I saw one I liked and bought it. I did an extensive test ride to check for any shake/vibration and it passed the test, otherwise I would not have bought it. 6 weeks and 3000 miles later, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a typical push rod guy really. My first car was a 350 TPI 1989 Formula Firebird, I love the simplicity of GM motors and they are much easier to work on, and in my experience more durable.

Pontiac was my first love growing up, with knight rider and all. I would still love a '65 GTO, but I currently have a 1990 Formula with a TPI 305, and I have my first car still, which is a 1989 Formula 350. It has a LM7 swap now, with a cam, stainless LTs, full 4" exhaust, lowered on Eibachs with 315s in the rear...it has been through a lot with me, and through my wallet even more, it's an obsession and a great platform to experiment on. I also have a 1993 Yukon GT 5 speed 4x4 with a 350 TBI. That is a great truck, absolutely reliable and as simple as they get. I've had a 1981, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000, 2002 Firebird, so you can see the trend. After Pontiac died off, I have pretty much been strictly Chevy, with the exception of some Dodges and Fords here and there. I'm also a big diesel fan, I've had a 2001 Excursion with the 7.3, a Dodge 2500 with a 12 valve, and a Duramax NBS.

My dad worked at GM for many years and I'm a great believer in supporting domestic manufacturing. Even if he hadn't worked there I still would have bought either a GM, Ford or Chrysler.

I just read that the Camry followed by Accord are the most made in America. The ones you stated are farther down the list.

I just read that the Camry followed by Accord are the most made in America. The ones you stated are farther down the list.

Archived