6.2L exhaust - Magnaflow, Flowmaster, other?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the Corsa. I love the sound except on startup. It's just too damn loud if you live in a neighborhood. Coupled with my CAI, when you lay into the accelerator on the freeway, the 6.2 just sounds so damn mean! If memory serves me correctly, the Corsa muffler was wide open when I looked inside. Maybe there's something that I couldn't see.

My Flowmaster Force II (P/N 817666, 1-in, 2-out) with Super 50 is LOUD but better than living with STOCK. I find it funny that Flowmaster suggest Force II for a 'milder' tone than the Thunder exhaust. I think my Force II sounds JUST like the thunder video on YouTube. Go figure.

After 10 months of ownership, I drive in M5 to disable v4 and keep the truck in V8 mode so I can hear all 8 cylinders as GOD intended (well, Chevy GOD anyway).

I leave it in D for highway but the truck rarely sees highway. I avg 18-20mpg city which beats my 2003 4.8L overall average mileage easily. I am waiting for a Range AFM delete that will allow me to leave in Drive/M6 full-time; improving mileage, enjoying the NOISE and no V4 drone. At least I can hear my truck even if it is too LOUD.

IF I can't live with the Super 50 system, I have a fresh Borla Touring muffler on the shelf with my orig exhaust and will have it installed in place of the orig muffler but WITHOUT that flapper valve. I hope to keep the Range device. The Borla touring muffler is familiar as I had it in a 1-in/1-out system on my 2003 and LOVED it for its growl under full throttle but very easy on the ears sound otherwise.

Considering the total cost of this experiment, I could have paid the $1,200 for the 1-in/2-out Borla system to begin with. But, experience is the best teacher...

Personally I would only go Corsa sport or Borla sport or Atak....best sounding hands down plus great quality.....anything else is just too quiet. Particularly don't like Magnaflow because too quiet. I debated for several months but ended up going with Corsa sport since I found it for 1000. When you get on it it's just mean sounding but it isn't crazy loud for normal driving. But, yes, I do admit on startup it is LOUD, but within 10 seconds it quiets down.

Man I just can't get over how nasty sounding the Corsa is at idle!!

You should here mine then, no muffler just straight dumped under where the passenger seats is.

But honestly whoever is using flowmaster please don't. You are going from a straight through factory muffler design to a restrictive chamber design, that is blocking airflow and robbing your power. I had a flowmaster super44 on my 2014 6.2 liter and it sounded badass but I lost a lot of power. Soon as I took it off and put on a magnaflow it woke the power back up. On my 2016 6.2 I just have a badlandz HPE exhaust cutout halfway down the exhaust just left open. Sounds mean as hell especially at WOT but there is drone.

Man I just can't get over how nasty sounding the Corsa is at idle!!

It does sound good! Here's a comparison to the Flowmaster 10 on a 5.3.

It does sound good! Here's a comparison to the Flowmaster 10 on a 5.3.

That sounds really good as well!

I'm not sure if it's just me or the design of the new engines but I feel like this gen truck sounds really good with some of these exhausts, and by that I mean they sound really agressive and even a little lopey, like a sports car. Especially at warm idle when the rpms are settled down

That sounds really good as well!

I'm not sure if it's just me or the design of the new engines but I feel like this gen truck sounds really good with some of these exhausts, and by that I mean they sound really agressive and even a little lopey, like a sports car. Especially at warm idle when the rpms are settled down

I agree, they do sound good, but it takes a pretty aggressive muffler to bring out the sound. I had a 18" Magnaflow that was way to quiet. To me it sounded exactly like a factory muffler.

I agree, they do sound good, but it takes a pretty aggressive muffler to bring out the sound. I had a 18" Magnaflow that was way to quiet. To me it sounded exactly like a factory muffler.

My thinking exactly, that's why I was trying to avoid magnaflow....sure they sound pretty good at higher rpms, but nothing at idle. I love the more aggressive ones at idle, like you said, almost sound like a mild cam.

For the record, I personally really like the flowmaster sound....originally was looking for the catback for mine but for the 6.2 only had the quietest of the 3.

Archived