6.2L exhaust - Magnaflow, Flowmaster, other?

The "flapper" is a piece directly behind your muffler that contains a valve which is closed at low speed or part throttle to reduce exhaust droan. The resonator is a secondary muffler located on the tailpipe before it exits the rear also to reduce exhaust drone.

What would clamping the flapper open only do? Better start-up sound? But drone at cruise?

Seems like that would give it a bit more sound. I do like the 1 second worth of sound at start-up with the flapper blown open - makes me think it would always sound good that way V8 wise anyway. Would be an easy theory to test. Just went under the rig to confirm offset/center in/out and reached up and twisted the flapper. That is going to corrode eventually and stick - nice GM...... Crimany spring loaded like the old heat-riser in exhaust manifolds - which I deleted on my '62 Dart wagon.

:dunno:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Flowmaster Super 10 dumped after my rear axle on my '07 5.3 with a 5" tip.. It wasn't too loud or too raspy. A solid deep tone, I loved it. Now, on my 6.2L, I don't think I wanna do that, especially living in an apartment complex right now. Everyone would hate me for sure. So, I'm thinking going with a Borla or Magnaflow muffler only & deleting the flapper and resonator.

Just don't have the money to dump on a whole catback system. If so, I would get the Borla S type or Corsa Sport.

Do either a Magnaflow 12909 or Flowmaster 53553 delete flapper valve but leave the resonator. Minimal to nonexistent drone and "V4 chop" with either of these mufflers. Exhaust shop will have to move hanger around with the Flowmaster since it does not have same inlet/outlet as your OE muffler but no biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

New to this forum, and saw the post.

Spoke with a buddy who owns an exhaust shop who has been taking flowmasters and magnaflows off of the 6.2L due to customers complaining about the drone i high gear.

He suggested a BLACK WIDOW muffler, delete the flapper & leave the resonator on to see how I like it.

I took his advise and boy am I happy with the results! ZERO drone when it kicks into 7-8 speed and a noticeable increase in power. Never touched the rest of the exhaust.

I keep telling myself I'm going to take off the resonator but I'm really happy with the sound so far.

New to this forum, and saw the post.

Spoke with a buddy who owns an exhaust shop who has been taking flowmasters and magnaflows off of the 6.2L due to customers complaining about the drone i high gear.

He suggested a BLACK WIDOW muffler, delete the flapper & leave the resonator on to see how I like it.

I took his advise and boy am I happy with the results! ZERO drone when it kicks into 7-8 speed and a noticeable increase in power. Never touched the rest of the exhaust.

I keep telling myself I'm going to take off the resonator but I'm really happy with the sound so far.

Did you get the 250 or larger 300 Black Widow? How does it sound in V4 mode?

Never heard of the Black Widow - interesting hour-glass design inside - beats a straight pipe I bet - lots of loud as hell sound clips on their site under the link LISTEN.

http://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/mufflers

post-168136-0-55540800-1494639772_thumb.jpg

I got the larger one- 300 model in 3". I was apprehensive about putting 3" on but it didn't let me down. It takes up most of the room the stock muffler eliminates. You hisar have to bridge the gap where the flapper was.

V4 actually doesn't sound terrible. Still throaty and deep. You won't be unhappy!

i have a flowmaster 40 series i believe with the flapper removed but left the resonator. Seems a little quiet during city driving and v4 seems a little noticeable when at low speeds

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2017 at 12:20 AM, Dirt-Rado said:

I got the larger one- 300 model in 3". I was apprehensive about putting 3" on but it didn't let me down. It takes up most of the room the stock muffler eliminates. You hisar have to bridge the gap where the flapper was.

V4 actually doesn't sound terrible. Still throaty and deep. You won't be unhappy!

got any videos?

Archived