Front bumper air dam

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That insert looks like it would be a lot better looking. Is that just a picture of it you have, or are you installing that? Do you have a part number? Please take pictures of it installed if you are. Thanks.

Ask & ye shall receive.

Today was too warm to go sledding so I did the bumper rework. Boss Plow PN is MSC09279.

Bumper%20Rework%2007%20-%20Copy_zpsyjyel

Bumper%20Rework%2008%20-%20Copy_zpsutytj

The grille removal wasn't as stressfull as I thought it would be. LOL

R&R of the bumper wasn't that difficult. Remove the outer brace to bumper bolts. Loosen the inner two (2) brace to frame attach' bolts. Remove the four (4) bumper to frame bolts

You basically have to disassemble the whole bumper. The plastic "centre" insert has to be removed to access three (3) M6 screws that hold the OEM air dam. When installing the Boss part, two (2) of the M6 screws have to be shortened 1/4". They are located above the tow hook opening. If left stock height, they press & move the new air dam "downwards".

Tools needed:

1/2" drive impact to remove bumper & brace bolts

3/8" drive impact for smaller fasteners

15 mm & 18 mm sockets (regular & deep)

3" & 6" long extensions 1/2" drive

10 mm (1/4" drive)

15 mm wrench

Took me an afternoon to do it.

That looks much better than the factory air dam! Nice work!

I know! I was going to say the same thing. If you look @ the 1st pic I posted, you can see that the bottom of the bumper is above the axle centreline. that should help the approach angle somewhat.

There's nothing hanging underneath the front end either. Makes for a very tidy appearance.

Yep, the GMC's look just fine without them. The Chevy's...not so much. I'm thinking about masking off the bottom few inches, and trying to cut it shorter for more clearance.

I was thinking of trimming mine along the "feature line" until I found out about the Boss part.

Interesting. Wonder if it will clear my Fisher push plates. For a Fisher install they cut slots in the factory air dam...works ok, doesn't look too bad but what's left is easy to rip off.

Interesting. Wonder if it will clear my Fisher push plates. For a Fisher install they cut slots in the factory air dam...works ok, doesn't look too bad but what's left is easy to rip off.

The bottom edge of the trim insert is about 1 1/4" below the bottom of the tow hooks.

Ask & ye shall receive.

Today was too warm to go sledding so I did the bumper rework. Boss Plow PN is MSC09279.

Thank you very much!!! That looks GREAT!!! I'm gonna hafta do that now. Taking the bumper off makes me a little nervous tho. I'm sure I could do it, but seems like a big job.

Thank you very much!!! That looks GREAT!!! I'm gonna hafta do that now. Taking the bumper off makes me a little nervous tho. I'm sure I could do it, but seems like a big job.

It looks like a truck should look like. :thumbs: Boss will sell a pile of these this spring & wonder what is going on LOL

I did it by myself, but having a helper for part of the job would make it easier. It's a bit tricky removing the bumper & re-installing it as you have to deal w/ the wheel well liner.

I forgot to add a couple of more things, a pair of saw horses w/ padding to protect the chrome. Not mandatory but better than working on the bumper while it's on the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

any chance you tried this out yet? I'm in the same spot you are. I hate the way they trimmed it for the fisher plow and am kind of pissed I didn't know about this sooner and I would of just had them put a boss plow on it instead as it didn't matter to me what brand. Im looking at this really thinking it will clear the mounts maybe a little tight right under the tow hook but workable. May tackle this in the spring myself.

Just a thought, but on my Wrangler I removed the factory air dam. I noticed:

(1) Increased hood flutter,

(2) Increased engine temps on long climbs up grades on hot days, and

(3) Increased fuel consumption on highway trips, particularly at high speeds.

I do not think (1) will be a problem on our trucks. (3) may be an issue, some will care, some will not. Those towing a really heavy trailer in hot weather may want to consider (2) carefully.

Archived