Front bumper air dam

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought, but on my Wrangler I removed the factory air dam. I noticed:

(1) Increased hood flutter,

(2) Increased engine temps on long climbs up grades on hot days, and

(3) Increased fuel consumption on highway trips, particularly at high speeds.

I do not think (1) will be a problem on our trucks. (3) may be an issue, some will care, some will not. Those towing a really heavy trailer in hot weather may want to consider (2) carefully.

I was running around 70 on Fri' & didn't notice anything abnormal w/ the hood.

I doubt I'd notice much of a mileage drop w/ the amount of driving, but getting the dam torn off would probably be more noticeable to my pocket book. Also, the air dam probably only adds a bit of MPG to the truck but for GM its CAFE average would be helped considering the number of trucks sold.

I do not think (1) will be a problem on our trucks. (3) may be an issue, some will care, some will not. Those towing a really heavy trailer in hot weather may want to consider (2) carefully.

No offense...but this is where Jeep went horrible wrong...an air damn on a Wrangler??? The TJ model IMO was the last real Jeep.

No offense...but this is where Jeep went horrible wrong...an air damn on a Wrangler??? The TJ model IMO was the last real Jeep.

Not going to go too far down the rabbit hole on this, but a JK Rubicon is shockingly capable off-road, and the Pentastar is a fantastic engine.

From my perspective, GM reliability, particularly their gas powertrains, sold me on the 2500HD. But, if I could still get by with something the size of a Wrangler Unlimited, it would have been very tough to give up. As it stands, two kids and two dogs means I am in a crew cab pickup or something like a Tahoe for the foreseeable future.

Now, to bring it all back around to the thread subject, I do some light off-roading and I am interested in how difficult it is to remove the air dam temporarily. I'd personally like to retain mine and only take it off every now and again when I hit up the back woods.

There are a pile of bolts that hold it on....guessing 15 maybe....Not difficult but kind of PIA to take on and off

I'll have to look @ the air dam this afternoon. I do recall having to remove the palstic 'trim' adjacent to the bumper opening to get @ 3 screws. Not sure if this was to remove the air dam brace or the air dam itself.

There are a pile of bolts that hold it on....guessing 15 maybe....Not difficult but kind of PIA to take on and off

2017%20Silverado%20HD%20Air%20Dam%202_zp

2017%20Silverado%20HD%20Air%20Dam%201_zp

If you look close @ the J nut locations, I can't see anyone wanting to remove the air dam & then re-installing it.

2017%20Silverado%20HD%20Air%20Dam%202_zp

2017%20Silverado%20HD%20Air%20Dam%201_zp

If you look close @ the J nut locations, I can't see anyone wanting to remove the air dam & then re-installing it.

Looks like the best approach is just to drive over stuff until your air dam makes your decision for you!

Looks like the best approach is just to drive over stuff until your air dam makes your decision for you!

LOL!

My gmc is different...my air dam is a separate from the piece that goes around the tow hooks.

Yes, a few folks have removed the air dams from their GMCs. No aftermarket piece is req'd to finish the job.

on #3, i've had the opportunity to run some long road trips back and forth to the same place before and after mods. here's what I found:

I-90 east bound from Chicago to Pennsylvania, bone stock, unloaded, cruise set at 72: 20mpg

I-90 east bound from Chicago to Pennsylvania, leveled 2 inches, heavier/wider 305/55 tires, airdam deleted, unloaded cruise set at 72: 19.1mpg

so, for 3 mods that should have an effect on fuel mileage, I lost less than one mpg? I can live with that. :) (yes, this is anecdotal evidence for sure, but I can only share my own experience)

• 2 months later...

I monitored my temps transmission and water for months during summer and winter before pulling mine and putting my winch bumper on. Did not make a bit of difference towing or not even on hottest days.post-90559-0-55875500-1494352576_thumb.jpg

post-90559-0-55875500-1494352576_thumb.jpg

Archived