2014 Silverado 1500 Twin Turbo

Hey, how's it going everyone... I was looking for advise as for my Twin Turbo Silverado...
I installed the kit with a set of 66-62 Precision turbos on 6 lbs making 450 rwhp.... A piston lost compression and I decided to build the motor... steel crankshaft, forged connecting rods, JE forged pistons, moly ring set, performance push rods and bearings... so it isn't fully built but has essential things lol..
since having built the motor, I haven't returned to the dyno... I paid a visit to my local tuner... He said that if I lower the wastegate springs to 4 lbs i should have no problems and make 450rwhp and make a great daily driver.... OR i can install LT4 injectors, regulator, and fuel pump and i should make 600 rwhp on 6 lbs.... which is the route that I want to take but he said that I might run into tranny issues considering the fact that its a double cab and a daily driver... Ive seen 2014+ trucks making 700hp on stock tranny but they are single cabs so they are a lot lighter...
I've also heard that these trucks don't run out of fuel on stock fuel system until about 650ish hp... but i guess my tuner is trying to play it safe... Im looking to suggestions on what i should do... lower to 4 lbs and stay at 450 rwhp... or upgrade fuel system which will cost me about 3k and make 600rwhp but run the possibility of running into tranny issues or maybe rear end issues... consider that its a double cab truck and is my daily driver... i do like to have fun every once in a while and enjoy the truck and will like to hit the drag strip in the future and keep it as a fun, cool daily driver... but never abuse it...
Thank you all in advance! Hope you all can help! Enjoy the remainder of your day... :driving:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF properly tuned, the 6L80e transmission, the one in your truck, is a beast in terms of holding high amounts of horsepower. Online, there's someone with a black extended cab 4x4 Sierra on 22 inch rims with a twin turbo 427 LSX motor that's definitely making above 600-700 horsepower and his 6L80e held up fine. Assuming you have a good tuner, you shouldn't run into any transmission issues. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the rear end on these newer trucks is stronger than previous models.

I would most likely go ahead with the upgrade. It'll give you more leeway with tuning and safety for your engine. As long as you don't literally mash the gas every single time I wouldn't worry too much imo.

IF properly tuned, the 6L80e transmission, the one in your truck, is a beast in terms of holding high amounts of horsepower. Online, there's someone with a black extended cab 4x4 Sierra on 22 inch rims with a twin turbo 427 LSX motor that's definitely making above 600-700 horsepower and his 6L80e held up fine. Assuming you have a good tuner, you shouldn't run into any transmission issues. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the rear end on these newer trucks is stronger than previous models.

I would most likely go ahead with the upgrade. It'll give you more leeway with tuning and safety for your engine. As long as you don't literally mash the gas every single time I wouldn't worry too much imo.

Awesome... Thank you!

Word on the street is that he's the best tuner around... I guess we will find out lol... Super cool dude... Hoping the tranny and rear end does hold if i do go the upgraded route... Thank you for your advice! It's pumping me up to go that route lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome... Thank you!

Word on the street is that he's the best tuner around... I guess we will find out lol... Super cool dude... Hoping the tranny and rear end does hold if i do go the upgraded route... Thank you for your advice! It's pumping me up to go that route lol

No problem! Your truck is badass dude! I think my little 4.3 can take it... :jester:

It's also worth mentioning that investing in a better transmission cooler would help ease the stress on the transmission. Heat is what kills those things.

No problem! Your truck is badass dude! I think my little 4.3 can take it... :jester:

It's also worth mentioning that investing in a better transmission cooler would help ease the stress on the transmission. Heat is what kills those things.

Thanks bro! Lol Those 4.3's are awesome! No doubt about it... They are something!

I'll definitely look into that too! Thank you so much!

GOOD GOD!!!!! what a truck and loving what's under the hood.... what part of cali are you from?

Thank you! I appreciate it!! I'm in the Inland Empire...

Be careful with the tuner, he may be a good tuner in general, but that doesn't mean he knows the latest gen v platform.

If you lost a piston at 450whp, he probably screwed up

Yea.... The guy that first dyno tuned it was a buddy of the the person who fabricated the kit...

I'm not returning to him though... I'm going to a different guy that's also well known...

You're going to need a new cam, this isn't like the previous generation engines where you just throw a pump and injectors at a motor to add fuel. You need a cam with a bigger fuel lobe.

That's also what i heard.. But also heard that i'll need a cam with a bigger fuel lobe if i plan to go past 600 rwhp... I could stay with stock cam with lt4 injectors, fuel pump, and regulator and get 600rwhp and that's maxed out... I'd need a cam beyond that point... That's based off my knowledge... But i've also heard the same as you said...

Archived