2014 Silverado 1500 Twin Turbo

I would of did the Cam when you built the motor

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

My buddy wants me to do this to my 2002 6.0

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Looking back at it, I do regret not doing a cam when I built the motor lol But builder said it would need a bunch of remapping... So we decided to keep it simple...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, Turbo's. They love Lift & Duration on the cam. Some say you have to go low compression...don't have to, you just need High octane to avoid detonation. You will need bigger injectors to avoid leaning out and going 100% injector duty cycle that begets a better (more LPH) fuel pump dual Fuel pumps are better (IMHO) and a variable watsegate controller is nice. You DO need very strong Rods and Crank, and everything else downstream(trans, driveshaft, rear end) depending how big you go.

I was running 25lbs of boost on 10:1 compression in a 4 banger, I broke everything....got pix to prove it :-)

Ok, Turbo's. They love Lift & Duration on the cam. Some say you have to go low compression...don't have to, you just need High octane to avoid detonation. You will need bigger injectors to avoid leaning out and going 100% injector duty cycle that begets a better (more LPH) fuel pump dual Fuel pumps are better (IMHO) and a variable watsegate controller is nice. You DO need very strong Rods and Crank, and everything else downstream(trans, driveshaft, rear end) depending how big you go.

I was running 25lbs of boost on 10:1 compression in a 4 banger, I broke everything....got pix to prove it :-)

Lol! We decided to keep compression the same on this build... Which I believe is 11.2:1... Or something in that's range.. I do pump 91 only as that's what it's tuned for and is the highest pump gas here in Cali... I do have a wastegate controller.. I got the Innovate Motorsport SCG 1 with failsafe... It cuts boost when over boosting...

Trans is stock along with everything thing behind that lol [emoji23] That's why i'm debating whether to upgrade the fuel system... Scared of the tranny and rear end going out...

Many say that it should all hold at 600 rwhp

All the other fuel mods aren't worth the money without the cam. The LT4 injectors flow more because the cam running the pump has a more aggressive lobe. The injectors in your truck are capable of serious numbers, but only with the right cam.

You can't approach these motors like a Gen 4, the best tuner in the world on a 2013 Silverado doesn't mean a thing, the whole game has changed with these new DI motors. It's not like it was where we added bigger injectors and cranked them up until we ran out of pulse width, you're injecting directly in to the combustion chamber so you're restricted on the amount of time you can inject.

I would look for a guy who can tune DI motors that use torque demand instead of the old style fuel tables. I'm guessing this is what ruined your motor in the first place.

All the other fuel mods aren't worth the money without the cam. The LT4 injectors flow more because the cam running the pump has a more aggressive lobe. The injectors in your truck are capable of serious numbers, but only with the right cam.

You can't approach these motors like a Gen 4, the best tuner in the world on a 2013 Silverado doesn't mean a thing, the whole game has changed with these new DI motors. It's not like it was where we added bigger injectors and cranked them up until we ran out of pulse width, you're injecting directly in to the combustion chamber so you're restricted on the amount of time you can inject.

I would look for a guy who can tune DI motors that use torque demand instead of the old style fuel tables. I'm guessing this is what ruined your motor in the first place.

I see.... so given my position, you'd do a cam upgrade instead of the lt4 fuel pump, injectors, and regulator? or what would you do? lol

I'm looking for suggestions...

Yea... the last gen motors are a lot easier to work with...

I should've also mentioned what Darth_Vader said. A cam upgrade will help with fueling due to the mechanical pump being driven off of an extra lobe on the camshaft.

I know it's pricey, but a cam upgrade is a good thing for both power and fuel. I've seen people get custom grind camshafts with an even more aggressive fuel lobe than the LT4 cam when dealing with boosted setups. I'm no expert, but maybe you could upgrade the camshaft first to see if that helps with safely keeping 6+ psi. If not, you could order the LT4 stuff later. But it's your call, not mine.

I should've also mentioned what Darth_Vader said. A cam upgrade will help with fueling due to the mechanical pump being driven off of an extra lobe on the camshaft.

I know it's pricey, but a cam upgrade is a good thing for both power and fuel. I've seen people get custom grind camshafts with an even more aggressive fuel lobe than the LT4 cam when dealing with boosted setups. I'm no expert, but maybe you could upgrade the camshaft first to see if that helps with safely keeping 6+ psi. If not, you could order the LT4 stuff later. But it's your call, not mine.

I see!! I think I might go with that!! Cause I'm going to need a cam upgrade at one point cause the no matter the fuel system, the few fuel lobes the stock cam has aren't going to cut it... So I know i'm going to need a cam either way... I might go with your suggestion... Sounds like a great idea! Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

zach wright is at 13 psi with stock cam and fuel system i dont think u need to upgrade ur fuel system yet, look him up on the gen5 silverado fb page

Ima look him up... How much power is he putting out?

Archived