5.3 Camshaft Replacement

GhostWriter

Question

Thinking of installing a DOD delete kit on my 2008 Avalanche.

Would love to be able to complete the job, without pulling the engine for clearance.

AllData DIY makes no mention of clearance issues, for the cam replacement. Doesn't even mention the fan, or radiator.

Like to plan things out, before getting in too deep. Any opinions?

Thanks for your help!

4 answers to this question

I would say fans and radiator, AND condenser & oil coolers all need to come out - with the grille removed you've got a straight shot to pull that thing out of there.

I chose a cheap/easy route with a Range device. Plugs right into the ALDL connector. http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

With 88,5xx miles on mine, & burning oil since 50k, I figure I'll probably be replacing the engine sooner rather than later, so no sense throwing a nice new cam in a crap engine. I've had 50 year old engines keep their oil in better than this thing. :nonod:

Thanks.

Choices, choices.

Mention of the condenser jogged my memory. Believe I saw Eric The Car Guy move the condenser to the passenger side, before removing the engine on a GMT-900.

There was enough hose length for him to stand the condenser on it's end, without breaking the seal.

If I ended up doing the delete, would be nice to be able to leave the AC stuff, intact.

I've done that a few times - not on these particular trucks, but on older ones. That's definitely an option.

Archived