Condensation On Inside Windows

KSTMSTR

Admittedly, I don't drive my truck very often, AND it's been horrifically rainy here in Northern CA., but after a month of my truck sitting in the driveway, I got into it yesterday and the inside of my windows were all wet?

Anyone else have a similar issue with a newer Silverado? I've only got 24k miles on my 2014 High Country. Thanks, Rick

I'd feel around for wet carpet and look for leaks. do you have a sunroof? There have been plenty of leaky sunroofs and even windshields with bad seals (not just this year/ model truck, just in general).

Do you notice any water staining on the headliner or coming down the columns?

I had a 2015 Tahoe that did that. Figured it out the day I was driving to work and I felt water dripping on my hand. Turns out GM knew all about the leaky roof mounted antenae. They had to first pull down the headliner to check for a leaky antennae. then it was back ordred for weeks. Check for wetness under the headliner on the drivers side.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just got home from work, and checked the headliner, the area around the sunroof, both side window columns, and the floors - no noticeable moisture, or signs of leaking was present. I've heard about the leaky antennas before. We're unfortunately expecting more rain here, from Thursday through next Wednesday.

I'll do a daily check after work for any possible moisture.

Pull up the floor mats and feel under them.

Just got home, and went straight to the truck, pulled up my Weather Tech mats on driver & passenger side, and no moisture was felt.

Thanks for the suggestion Pacfanweb - Appreciate it :thumbs:

I'll check the roof liner and carpets again tomorrow, after more rain happens overnight.

Just got home, and went straight to the truck, pulled up my Weather Tech mats on driver & passenger side, and no moisture was felt.

Thanks for the suggestion Pacfanweb - Appreciate it :thumbs:

I'll check the roof liner and carpets again tomorrow, after more rain happens overnight.

Sometimes that 1" thick rag stuffing under the rug can wick out a lot of water and you may not feel it on the carpet surface. Best way to check for rug backing wetness is to place a single sheet of white paper toweling on top of the rug and place your weight onto your knee pressing the paper into the carpet......wet spot? wet carpet!

Or you can just pull up the scuff plate on both sides and feel underneath the carpet. The padding can be wet under there and stay wet for months without drying out, esp when you have the mack daddy mats that keep the moisture from evaporating.

Did you notice this after the freeze we had last month?

Mine did this after two frosty mornings I dried it off haven't had the problem sense

i also don't drive my truck on a Daley bases some times not for a week.

I've seen this happen to mine before when it was new with less than 1000 miles. Did you set your vehicle to blow air out to your windshield or to the front? I realized that it could be condensation from the system itself... try setting it to "recycle" so no air comes from the outside or turn the dial so air blows out to the front before you leave your vehicle and see if this helps resolve it.

I hate condensation issues but this also occurs in my Subaru also. I usually set my air vents to blow straight when I leave my vehicles now, especially when it's rainy with a lot of humidity.

Did you notice this after the freeze we had last month?

Mine did this after two frosty mornings I dried it off haven't had the problem sense

i also don't drive my truck on a Daley bases some times not for a week.

I hadn't driven it in just over a month. It has also rained VERY heavily here for the past month or so.

I've seen this happen to mine before when it was new with less than 1000 miles. Did you set your vehicle to blow air out to your windshield or to the front? I realized that it could be condensation from the system itself... try setting it to "recycle" so no air comes from the outside or turn the dial so air blows out to the front before you leave your vehicle and see if this helps resolve it.

I hate condensation issues but this also occurs in my Subaru also. I usually set my air vents to blow straight when I leave my vehicles now, especially when it's rainy with a lot of humidity.

My ventilation system is most always set to the "recirculate" setting,

I just went down to do the paper towel test, Tom suggested, and both sides were completely dry.

As I was getting ready to close the doors, it occurred to me that maybe my sun shade across the windshield had been the culprit? Picture attached.

Truck Sun Shade

My ventilation system is most always set to the "recirculate" setting,

I just went down to do the paper towel test, Tom suggested, and both sides were completely dry.

As I was getting ready to close the doors, it occurred to me that maybe my sun shade across the windshield had been the culprit? Picture attached.

Maybe......I hate those aluminum foil sun shades. They trap too much heat between their surface and the windshield, and the windshield gets so hot I was afraid it would compromise the seal and tired of burns touching the hat glass. Give the right conditions it could condense residual water laying around on the cooling evaporator coils and drip tray once the A/C is shut off. Wipe the condensate with the paper towel and see if is clear water from normal evaporating condensate.......or tinted/greasy indicative of a leak from the heater coil.

My .02 is to invest in the more expensive accordion sunshade like the Covercraft UVS 100 made of stiff closed cell foam board with a matte silvered surface that is not so reflective and felt backed so it doesn't superheat the windshield but remains cool when folded.....and supplied in an exact fit for the vehicle. Material is so light and stiff you can install or remove in less than 10 sec without leaving the diver's seat.....once folded you just reach around with one hand and store on the rear floor.

When it isn't raining, my truck is always covered by a Platinum Shield Truck Cover, from Carcovers.com. The water I wiped off the window was completely clear water, no residue.

I think it was the cheap sunshade that caused the condensation. I'll be ordering a Covercraft UVS 100 today. Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Archived