New 17 Silverado Engine Oil overfilled from the factory

So I have had my brand new 2017 Silverado for about a week. I got it with 25miles on it and I am now at about 500. I filled up today and checked my oil like I always do..... And it appears to be overfilled. I've checked 2 dozen times. I am guessing 1 maybe 2 quarts. I am a little freaked out since this is a brand new truck/engine. I am worried about long term issues and accelerated wear due to the overfill, i.e. From Frothing and aeration of the oil. I am taking it to the dealer first thing in the morning to document the issue and have them drain the oil to the correct level. What potential problems am I looking at or am I just paranoid. Any thoughts or opinions to easy my mind or at least make sure I hold the dealership accountable. Thank you in advance.

When you checked the oil, was it right after you turned it off? Any bubbles or "frothiness" to the oil?

I checked it hot and checked it cold. I let it sit on level ground for 12hrs just to make sure that I checked it cold properly. I didn't see any air bubbles when I checked it hot. If I didn't see any, am I in the clear?

Paranoid...

Tyler

You are probably right.... Ive just never had a new truck before....

You're fine. If aeriation occurred, you'd be brought to attention by the oil pressure dropping off. It could be a bad dipstick too; too long and it'll read high. I've seen it.

Being over filled isn't the best but you shouldn't have any issues if you didn't notice any bubbles or such on the dip stick. At 500 miles would be a good time to just do an oil change and refill with 8qts of a dexos1™ oil. It would help to get some of the wear-in materials out and then you would know for sure you are at the correct level.

Being over filled isn't the best but you shouldn't have any issues if you didn't notice any bubbles or such on the dip stick. At 500 miles would be a good time to just do an oil change and refill with 8qts of a dexos1™ oil. It would help to get some of the wear-in materials out and then you would know for sure you are at the correct level.

^^^ This ^^^ I did my first oil change on my '14 GMC at 1,000 miles.

The oil reading on your truck appears to indicate an over-filled condition. Changing the oil at 500 miles and replacing with 8 new quarts

of the appropriate type/grade - then checking the dipstick will tell you if the level is on or near the mark or if it is still way over.

The more oil an engine holds - the more it expands. My 10qt capacity Duramax could be off the scale cold - but read full hot. I expect the same kind of thing with the 6.2L that holds 8qts.......... I told the salesman when he is quoting the dealers "Oil changes for life" - he should mention these things hold a lot of synthetic oil!

Engine Oil with Filter

4.3L V6 6.0 qt

5.3L V8; 6.2L V8 8.0 qt

6.0L V8 6.0 qt

• 2 weeks later...

You're fine. If aeriation occurred, you'd be brought to attention by the oil pressure dropping off. It could be a bad dipstick too; too long and it'll read high. I've seen it.

X2 1st compare the length of the dipstick against and equivalent at the dealer. If the oil is overfilled to the point of aeration where it can cause damage by reduced lubrication the hydraulic lifters would partially collapse from the entrained air and start tapping like crazyand the engine won't run smooth..

To update everyone.... I had the dealer adjust the oil level. They drained 1-1.5qt's. I had them do it because I wanted documentation that it came that way just in case.

I then went home and changed the oil. I went with Penzoil Platinum full synthetic 0W-20, which is DEXOS1 approved. Factory filter was tight as hell. I replaced with the PF63E, but will be going with something else next time.

To update everyone.... I had the dealer adjust the oil level. They drained 1-1.5qt's. I had them do it because I wanted documentation that it came that way just in case.

I then went home and changed the oil. I went with Penzoil Platinum full synthetic 0W-20, which is DEXOS1 approved. Factory filter was tight as hell. I replaced with the PF63E, but will be going with something else next time.

So you put in 8 qts, right? After you started the engine and let in run for a few minutes you probably checked the oil. Did it read full with the 8 quarts you put in? If so, your dipstick is correct then and you were in fact overfilled from the factory.

FWIW

The engines come from the engine plant with oil and filter installed. The factory test the engine (not live fire) so it has to be lubricated.

Archived