2016 2500hd maint schedule

So first off I have a 2016 2500hd gasser, I kind of breezed through the maint schedule in the owners book..it seems like aside from oil changes the trucks good for 100k

now heres my question, is there something I'm missing? because I recall my 04 wanting axles drained at 50k and stuff like that. I was told by the maintance guy at the dealer that the trucks good to go for 100k besides oil changes..is that right?

If you plan on running it within its capacity (payload or towing) I would consider following the severe schedule. They don't list changing the diffs but I would add that in there as they drain pretty nasty even at 10k miles.

That 100,000 mile maintenance crap? IGNORE it if you plan on keeping your truck a very long time.

Preventative maintenance is your friend for a long lasting healthy vehicle.

Front rear diff and transfer case fluid change by 36,000 miles

Transmission flush every 36,000 miles

Power Steering fluid flush every 50,000 miles

Coolant Flush by 75,000 miles.

Spark Plugs by or at 75,000 miles.

And ignore all the people who say "Oh I did my spark plugs at 200,000 miles for the first time and no problems at all!" and "The manual says 100,000 miles so why are you throwing your money away?" it's called PREVENTATIVE Maintenance. Something many people now a days don't grasp.

That 100,000 mile maintenance crap? IGNORE it if you plan on keeping your truck a very long time.

And ignore all the people who say "Oh I did my spark plugs at 200,000 miles for the first time and no problems at all!" and "The manual says 100,000 miles so why are you throwing your money away?" it's called PREVENTATIVE Maintenance. Something many people now a days don't grasp.

Thanks for the mileage, is there a DIY for our 2500 HD fluid change and what fluids do you recommend? Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread. This is useful information

I think maint is important - but I don't do any

I keep my truck 3 years / about 120,000 miles, mostly highway, snow plow my driveway & tow my boat 4 times a year, and trade it in

I change the oil every 5000 miles

air filter every 30,000 miles

thats it, on my 4th new truck

so far all good - never had any issues or failures

if i were to keep the truck for a decade I'd do the maint posted above

And ignore all the people who say "Oh I did my spark plugs at 200,000 miles for the first time and no problems at all!"

On the other hand, if a truck goes 200,000 miles with no problems at all then there is something to be said for the guy's maintenance practices.

My dealer provides a lifetime power train warranty if the recommended maintenance schedule is followed, and I doubt the new truck will ever see 100k in what little is left of my lifetime, so I will stick with the book.

Don't get me wrong, I think proactive maintenance is always wise and do not think anyone should do less of it than they feel is needed, but use your own judgement coupled with the manufacturer's suggestions and the service tech's advice (if paying for it).

II used to be OCD about axle, T/C & trans fluid changes in my '94 1500. Since my 2000 (1st truck w/ OLS) I just follow it. If I was to follow the old method for oil changes, I'd spend more time under the truck than in it. Synthetic oil & AC or WIX filters.

No motor problems w/ my 2000, '04 or '11 gassers.

The '04 needed a new water pump & PS pump in it's 7th year. I think the PS pump failure (a leak @ "brazed" fitting was due more to salt corrosion than internal issues.

thank you for the replies, on a side note has anybody heard of "needing to engage 4x4 occasionally?" i only use my 4x4 in severe conditions..

Yes, that's a common practice. Just find a gravel road & drive a short distance w/ it engaged.

just on grass or dirt for that mater

:thumbs: That too!

To the OP if you're wondering why, you want a surface that allows for drive wheel slippage.

• 1 month later...

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE is a hell of a lot cheaper than a REPAIR!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Brake fluid. No one ever flushes the brake fluid. The manual says every 5 years. Heat and moisture cause the spongy feeling that so many complain about. Do it at least every 5 years or whenever you replace the pads. My wife has a Benz. MB recommends a flush every 2 years. It's simple. No special tools needed. Open the fluid reservoir and crack the bleeder screws. Gravity will do the rest. Keep the reservoir full and let it drip unit new fluid comes out. Piece of cake.

Archived