Muffler recommendations

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will get a lot of different opinions on this subject. YouTube has a lot of different videos with different mufflers. I just put a Carven tr on my 14 silverado and removed the flapper and resonator and love the sound and almost zero drone. I have a video on YouTube listed under Carven TR muffler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There's a very similar thread on this started a week ago.....I commented saying Corsa or Borla hands down, however I do get a bit of drone around 2000 rpm and a little helicoptor noise in v4 mode with the Corsa sport. I just drive in M7 unless I'm cruising over 55. It sounds awesome but does have a aggressive raspy startup especially cold but does quiet down after 10-15 seconds (see my vid clip in the other thread)

I also considered the Borla ATAK, I beleive it has a similar loudness ar Corsa sport.

I have yet to tow, but can imagine my exhaust getting a little annoying on long trips...maybe the quieter Borla touring would be good.

I did a 14in magnaflow muffler with 3in piping after. Very happy with this setup. Enough to know it's there but quiet at cruise. Sounds deep and mature IMO.

Nothing is going to sound great in V4, but it's subtle with this setup.

I agree. 14" or 18" Magnaflow will have a nice deep rumble and won't drone. To avoid "V4 Helicopter Chop" you need to make sure your exhaust shop leaves the AFM Flapper Valve in place. Leaving the resonator in place helps to eliminate drone.

(I had both the 14 and the 18 Magnaflow on my truck. In my opinion the 18 sounded almost exactly like stock... way to tame for my taste. I've since gone to the dark side ... Flowmaster Series 10... this is NOT what you want) :nonod::lol:

I did the Magnaflow 22" 12909 for my 6.2L. Removed resonator, flapper, and OEM muffler (Magnaflow replaced OEM location). Very, very little drone compared to muffler delete (close to stock). Sounds great when giving the gas. Low drone and nice deep sound on start up. Also doesn't have the HOA calling about it as an issue. Good luck on finding your sound.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

I did the stainless MBRP kit because it was one of the cheaper kits and the one I have on my Duramax has lasted 8 years with no problems.

Nice rumble when you step on it or at cold idle but otherwise very tame.

I did the muffler delete and am happy with it. Mind you i haven't towed with it yet. You could always try the delete and then add a muffler if it's not to your liking. Just be sure to leave the flapper and the resonator in the tailpipe.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I assume a muffler delete is going to be too noisy? Although I hear it has no drone.

It is loud without the flapper... My flapper messed up and made a strange rattling noise after the install... That is why I removed all and went with Magnaflow. With flapper working properly I did not notice much drone.

It is loud without the flapper... My flapper messed up and made a strange rattling noise after the install... That is why I removed all and went with Magnaflow. With flapper working properly I did not notice much drone.

I was planning (before I got cold feet), to just delete the muffler and leave resonator and flapper in.

Archived