Front Diff Fluid Change

Keep in mind that this is coming from AAM this way...and not for nothing but there was never a single report failure from the marking compound on the Dodge forum, which was occurring back in the early 2000s.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Changed mine at 1000 miles and it looked very similar. I found a large amount of what appeared to be white assembly grease inside the fill plug hole. I read on here last year that several people reported seeing large amounts of white grease in the front diff. I refilled with Amzoil Severe Gear. At 9K now, guess I should check it again and maybe change it one more time.

Well I changed out the front diff fluid today as well as the T Case. Ran out of time to get the rear done. The fluid came out just like posted above. I pulled a sample. Just curious as to what it will test as, I'm going to send it off. Only 7100 miles on our 2016 Suburban. Refilled it back with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 and the T case with AMSOIL ATL.

Well I changed out the front diff fluid today as well as the T Case. Ran out of time to get the rear done. The fluid came out just like posted above. I pulled a sample. Just curious as to what it will test as, I'm going to send it off. Only 7100 miles on our 2016 Suburban. Refilled it back with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 and the T case with AMSOIL ATL.

Thanks for the update.

Well a least it wasn't just me, seems they are all like that from you and others as well.

Definitely update this when you get the sample results back; I'd surely be curious to see what that says.

I did the front and rear diffs but haven't done the transfer case yet. I will do that soon. What did the transfer case look like; was it real dark or still nice and pink or what???

Thanks for the update.

Well a least it wasn't just me, seems they are all like that from you and others as well.

Definitely update this when you get the sample results back; I'd surely be curious to see what that says.

I did the front and rear diffs but haven't done the transfer case yet. I will do that soon. What did the transfer case look like; was it real dark or still nice and pink or what???

The T case was same color as what I put in but maybe just a shade darker. You have to remember it only had 7,100 miles on it. So easy to do and so little is needed. I'll probably make it a yearly change, just depends on the mileage put on the Burb. The wife can get travel happy and put some miles on. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What year suburban?

Please let me know if you're front diff fluid looks similar to mine.

Use a clean drain pan so you can inspect it, please.

I also changed my rear diff and cleaned the magnets. Then installed a PML diff cover, so I'll have a drain plug for the future. The rear diff fluid looked fine, a little dark, but fine. But this front diff fluid is unbelievable for only 7500 miles.

Your right I should probably flush it again, I do have more fluid, but I hate to waist it, it's expensive. I did pour some fresh fluid in the fill and let it run out the drain plug to wash out the bottom.

Which transmission do you have and what PML part did you buy?

Are you pleased with the new dif cover?

http://www.yourcovers.com/diffcover_11129

Which transmission do you have and what PML part did you buy?
Are you pleased with the new dif cover?

I have a 2017 5.3L 6 speed 6L80

The PML diff cover is very nice, high quality, cast aluminum, with extra fluid capacity. I'm very happy with it. Comes with everything you need to install, new hardware, including a magnetic drain plug. Expensive but nice.

I have a 2017 5.3L 6 speed 6L80

http://www.yourcover...diffcover_11129

Changed my front diff oil today. The oil looked good had a slight green clear tint when pouring in light. Plug was clean. The oil had 20k on it. Replaced with 1.5 quarts of Amsoil severe gear 75w-90. I was surprised at how good the oil looked because what others where seeing. My build date was 6-14.

• 3 weeks later...

The fluids installed by the component manufacturer are the lowest cost fluids they can source just meeting the spec's.

During manufacture of the axles, a white or yellow gear rouge or marking compound is used when the tooth contact pattern on the gear set is inspected. The marking compound colors the fluid a milky or semi-metallic gray (this color combination sometimes appears similar to metal or water in the fluid).

The coloring only lasts between 1,000 and 5,000 miles (1,609 and 8,046 kilometers), after which the fluid appears normal. If there are not any noise concerns, do not attempt any repairs for the discolored fluid on vehicles with fewer than 5,000 miles (8,046 km).

Archived