Private Pilot License

Aleksandergram

Curious if anyone out there has gotten their private pilots license?

I'm about to end my military career after 11 years and flying is something I've always been interested in. My separation date is mid November of this year. I plan on starting at a flight school immediately. Not necessarily to start a new career as a pilot but just to learn to fly and if I like it maybe get an instrument rating and continue from there. Anyone out there have any experience? Advice? Should I be doing anything now like studying for FAA exam?

Just check the GI Bill stuff. If I recall, when I started school, it would cover that, but doesn't pay the BAH. If you don't care about the BAH, and continuing education past that, use it for the license. Milk the 3 years and get as many licenses and certs as possible.

Also as a word of advice on separation, get all your VA stuff lined up early and get your rating

I had similar plans, after military.. got disabled for life before then.

I even picked out a school, not far from you. spartan school of aeronautics.

I knew a fellow crew chief who went though with it. Very rewarding.

Just check the GI Bill stuff. If I recall, when I started school, it would cover that, but doesn't pay the BAH. If you don't care about the BAH, and continuing education past that, use it for the license. Milk the 3 years and get as many licenses and certs as possible.

Also as a word of advice on separation, get all your VA stuff lined up early and get your rating

I'm in the process of potentially getting medically retired because of lumbar spine issues so if it doesn't end up going through that should be a good starting point to get my rating. Thanks for the advice.

I had similar plans, after military.. got disabled for life before then.

I even picked out a school, not far from you. spartan school of aeronautics.

I knew a fellow crew chief who went though with it. Very rewarding.

So with me having lower back problems (herniated discs) would that be something that's disqualifying for flight?? Also, glad to see a fellow maintenance guy! I was weapons on 15-E's, 16s, and A-10's before I cross trained into contracting.

I'm in the process of potentially getting medically retired because of lumbar spine issues so if it doesn't end up going through that should be a good starting point to get my rating. Thanks for the advice.

I have issues with L5-S1 that is part of my rating. Va healthcare is horrible about it. Hope you move somewhere close to a major VA hospital. You will be there often

the way my dad did it when he returned home from Vietnam, is that he had his Final Orders, and his DD-214 Notarized (he lost all of his Military records in the fire at the NPRC in July 1973) a lot of service members in that era were not as fortunate and as well kept as my dad, so they lost EVERYTHING, to where they have difficulty getting VA benefits, because technically, there are no records on them in the government's database or paper archive.

the way my dad did it when he returned home from Vietnam, is that he had his Final Orders, and his DD-214 Notarized (he lost all of his Military records in the fire at the NPRC in July 1973) a lot of service members in that era were not as fortunate and as well kept as my dad, so they lost EVERYTHING, to where they have difficulty getting VA benefits, because technically, there are no records on them in the government's database or paper archive.

Now is a little different. The 214 is kept in multiple places. I have a copy, CalVet has a copy, and multiple data centers in the VA and US Air Force have a copy

I got my private pilots license in 1986. It was great. During my time taking lessons, I was able to buy a 73 Cessna 150 in really great shape. I had it for about 6 years, and then sold it and flew 172's.

I haven't flown in quite a while, more into riding motorcycles now!

Flying gives you a feeling that can't be described.

There are lots of videos on the internet. I would suggest looking into King Schools. http://www.kingschools.com/They have been around for a long time and have lots of study materials for many ratings.

I hope you get to fly and get your license.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious if anyone out there has gotten their private pilots license?

I'm about to end my military career after 11 years and flying is something I've always been interested in. My separation date is mid November of this year. I plan on starting at a flight school immediately. Not necessarily to start a new career as a pilot but just to learn to fly and if I like it maybe get an instrument rating and continue from there. Anyone out there have any experience? Advice? Should I be doing anything now like studying for FAA exam?

I got my license in 1978. I took my ground training from the flight instructor concurrent with the flying.

Many flight training curriculums at flight schools simply do the ground school assignments concurrent with the flight training. However, you can find ground training at local community colleges as well as commercial ground schools. Some of the commercial schools have accelerated (3 day) curriculums. I recommend the concurrent route. You'll understand the material much better.

I approached my flying as a recreation from the start. I learned aerobatics and bought a Pitts Special to compete with right after I got my license. Later, I bought a Cessna 206 and traveled extensively in it. I've flown across the country a number of times in light planes. It's a great recreation in addition to the traveling aspect. I still found that aerobatics was the most rewarding.

In later years, I moved away from flying, although my job is in the aviation business. I found myself with an opportunity to fly a P-51 a few years back. I had not flown in more than a decade and decided that flying a light aerobatic plane first would be a good idea. I flew an hour with an instructor and he thought I was good to go. I took the flight in the P-51 with dual controls and we did aerobatics. The check pilot was great in that he let me fly as much of the flight as possible, including the landing. I can't say enough about the experience. If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

I got my license in 1978. I took my ground training from the flight instructor concurrent with the flying.

Many flight training curriculums at flight schools simply do the ground school assignments concurrent with the flight training. However, you can find ground training at local community colleges as well as commercial ground schools. Some of the commercial schools have accelerated (3 day) curriculums. I recommend the concurrent route. You'll understand the material much better.

I approached my flying as a recreation from the start. I learned aerobatics and bought a Pitts Special to compete with right after I got my license. Later, I bought a Cessna 206 and traveled extensively in it. I've flown across the country a number of times in light planes. It's a great recreation in addition to the traveling aspect. I still found that aerobatics was the most rewarding.

In later years, I moved away from flying, although my job is in the aviation business. I found myself with an opportunity to fly a P-51 a few years back. I had not flown in more than a decade and decided that flying a light aerobatic plane first would be a good idea. I flew an hour with an instructor and he thought I was good to go. I took the flight in the P-51 with dual controls and we did aerobatics. The check pilot was great in that he let me fly as much of the flight as possible, including the landing. I can't say enough about the experience. If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

I've seen a P-51 make a hard fast turn(over a sports stadium, years ago before 9 11), it's almost startling to see, in the age of jets anyway.

Got mine in 1985. Flew the last 152 Aerobat and the last 1985 172 made before our wonderful legal system killed general aviation for a decade. Then I let life get in the way and haven't flown since 1986.

If you have the resources and the desire stop thinking about it and start building hours. You won't regret it !

Archived