1500 Owner was stopped from putting gas into his diesel truck by atten

Debra in Cali

At Costco yesterday a gas station attendant had to stop a guy from putting gasoline into his diesel truck. It was 6 cylinder Ram. Never knew that Ram made a 1500 diesel, let alone a 6 cylinder. It was crazy that the attendant was the one that noticed, and stopped the guy before he did thousands of dollars of damage to his truck.

What surprises me is the attendant knew the truck was diesel... and stopped the owner. Also, the owner wasn't hyper vigilant? Usually you go out of your way to buy the diesel. Maybe it's just me, but that's not something I'd forget. I guess everyone has off days, though. Hopefully this was enough to scare them into never trying to do that again.

To your point about them making a diesel 1500... Ram has made one for a couple years, and Ford is coming out with one soon. Haven't heard from Chevy yet, but rumor has it they had fully developed a 1500 Diesel engine in the past, but never got around to actually using it. With the other two big players having that option, I can't imagine we'll wait too long before they add it to their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought I'd screw up and forget switching between a gas and diesel truck but I never did put gas in dad's truck or diesel in mine. Now forgetting to put the gas cap back on my '73 c10 is a different story, did that a few times lol

What surprises me is the attendant knew the truck was diesel... and stopped the owner. Also, the owner wasn't hyper vigilant? Usually you go out of your way to buy the diesel. Maybe it's just me, but that's not something I'd forget. I guess everyone has off days, though. Hopefully this was enough to scare them into never trying to do that again.

To your point about them making a diesel 1500... Ram has made one for a couple years, and Ford is coming out with one soon. Haven't heard from Chevy yet, but rumor has it they had fully developed a 1500 Diesel engine in the past, but never got around to actually using it. With the other two big players having that option, I can't imagine we'll wait too long before they add it to their lineup.

Chevy is putting one in the Colorado.

Yep, I guess that the guy knew his trucks. Good for him. Since I have both a gas and a diesel, I am hypervigilant that I don't make that mistake. When I am waiting in line, I make sure that I remind myself what kind of fuel that I going to put in that vehicle.

In the state of Oregon they pump your gas/fuel for you. Did have one guy on our trip that started reaching for the gasoline pump while we were in Oregon. I started yelling at him, "Don't you even think about putting gasoline in my truck." The dumbass had to rerun our card since he had already selected regular gas. He got the death look from me, as I handed him the card again.

I doubt they would bother having two light duty diesel trucks is what I was trying to point out.

Especially when it's for two selling points: mileage and "I own a diesel". The smaller Colorado should give better mileage numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I yelled and stopped a lady who unfortunately already started putting gas into brand new VW gulf once.

I told her to not even start it as right now they could drain and clean her fuel tank.

If she ran it she would have to have the entire system cleaned and or basically replaced.

The mechanic from the station came out and told her the same thing.

It took allot of effort as she didn't understand and still wanted to drive it away and take it to the dealer.

She finally agreed to call the dealer and they sent a tow truck for it.

Chances are the person was either driving their spouses truck or recently got the EcoDiesel truck and forgot, or is just any one of the complete and utter dumb-dumbs we have running around these days.

The attendant probably noticed it because the Ram EcoDiesel has a pretty large "EcoDiesel" emblem on the side of the truck where they usually put the HEMI logo.

He might of looked at it and then saw the driver grab the gasoline pump handle.

Either way, that person who was driving the EcoDiesel and either had a brain fart or was totally clueless, owes that attendant a nice dinner out with his lady at the very least.

Even with our best efforts sometimes chit happens. The construction company that I work for had fuel tanks installed a few years ago Diesel and Gasoline since we run both types of vehicles. Well the delivery truck driver put diesel fuel in the gasoline tank (yes better than gasoline in diesel tank) and they had about 9 trucks go down that same day. Now every time I fuel up I run a few drops and pull the nozzle out and take a look at the fuel before I fill up, even at public pumps LOL. I get some weird looks but people just do not know how easily this could happen and the hassles associated with such a mistake.

Even with our best efforts sometimes chit happens. The construction company that I work for had fuel tanks installed a few years ago Diesel and Gasoline since we run both types of vehicles. Well the delivery truck driver put diesel fuel in the gasoline tank (yes better than gasoline in diesel tank) and they had about 9 trucks go down that same day. Now every time I fuel up I run a few drops and pull the nozzle out and take a look at the fuel before I fill up, even at public pumps LOL. I get some weird looks but people just do not know how easily this could happen and the hassles associated with such a mistake.

Had not thought about the gas/fuel station putting the wrong fuel in their tanks. Are you trying to give me nightmares?

But, I did hear that numerous years ago someone at the refinery put the wrong fuel into the tanker truck.. A few minutes after the fuel was delivered to the station cars that had filled their tanks got about a mile away before their engine died. If I remember it correctly there were a few accidents as a result of the fuel mix -up. I think that there was about 40 cars involved before they shut down that station.

Back in the mid-1990's Chevron managed to contaminate a bunch of AvGas with a very tiny amount of jet fuel (basically kerosene) and it got dispensed into a whole lot of aircraft with piston engines. Chevron ended up replacing a couple of hundred engines with either remanufactured or new units.

Improper fuel is nothing to sneeze at.

Archived