Silverado vs Sierra - Differences?

Maybe this has already been asked on here (did a search and came up with no results), but really, what are the differences between the two trucks? Specifically in the 2500/3500 HD category. Other then the different look of the front grill and different package configurations (and wording - LTZ/SLT for example), there's about a $900 difference between the Silverado and Sierra. I cannot really see any advantage of one over the other. I've been looking at the Sierra for a while but seeing as the Silverado is $900 less expensive, can't justify throwing that money away on cosmetic differences.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get your popcorn :) I think it is purely based on the perception that GMC is somehow better quality. Way back in the day you might have been able to argue that. Now they roll off the exact same line with mostly the exact same parts. I went with the 2500HD Denali because to my eye it was a little more luxurious compared to the Chevy. No doubt they are all great trucks IMO.

Sierra gets thicker paint and all parts that pass GM's strict quality tests. All the parts that fail go to the Chevy production line.

Um....ya....

i have personally, albeit accidentally, installed gmc emblems on a chevy and delivered hundreds of boxes of parts to a gmc/chevy assembly line. the differences are eithet cosmetic or differences in trim/option packages.

unfortunately, there is no such thing as special gmc pixie dust.

that said, to me, the new car smell on a gmc does have just the faintest hint of unicorn fart. so maybe they are magic after all?

have a whiff, you be the judge.

GMC - Mines Professional Grade - the TV ad said so

GMC sells less so they have to cost about 5% more +-

Same assembly line & same people putting the same parts on except for the LOGOs, wheels, and interior esthetics = about 99% the same, different fender well design (barely noticeable),Different head & taillights & grill

Drive Trane / Frame / connectors 100% the same

While I won't argue with the parts being the same, I have owned a 2014 Silverado, and now own a 2015 Sierra. The chevy dealership experience (sales and service) was worse than the GMC experience has been. Maybe I just got a shitty chevy dealer or have a great GMC dealer, but either way I would rather pay a little more for a great experience every time I go to the dealer than be given the run around almost every time.

Sierra gets thicker paint and all parts that pass GM's strict quality tests. All the parts that fail go to the Chevy production line.

False. Maybe back in GM's earlier days, perhaps through the mid-to-late 90s. But today's truck's are identical in sense of quality (or lack thereof).

Actually the CK versions of the 2 makes were built on the same lines. Only differences were tailgates that had embossed names, badging and grilles.

My first stint in Oshawa Truck began in '85.

False. Maybe back in GM's earlier days, perhaps through the mid-to-late 90s. But today's truck's are identical in sense of quality (or lack thereof).

The late 90's was when I was accidentally slapping the occasional GMC emblem on a Chevy at Broening Highway.

If there is a difference, and I'm not convinced there is, it is only the slight hint of unicorn fart in that GMC new car smell. Take my word for it.

Archived