Silverado vs Sierra - Differences?

While I won't argue with the parts being the same, I have owned a 2014 Silverado, and now own a 2015 Sierra. The chevy dealership experience (sales and service) was worse than the GMC experience has been. Maybe I just got a shitty chevy dealer or have a great GMC dealer, but either way I would rather pay a little more for a great experience every time I go to the dealer than be given the run around almost every time.

I think the dealer experience (good & bad) can vary across both brands.

In Canada before the dealer "purge" most towns/cities had a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership and a Chev (& sometimes Caddy) dealership. In some places the Chev dealership was killed in others the GMC closed. I've never heard/read what parameters GM used in the "culling" process, but I imagine customer satisfaction reviews were part of it.

Not sure if there are many left in the US, but during my travels in the UP & WI prior to '08/'09, I saw a few dealerships that looked unchanged since the 20s or 30s.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've owned both. I had a Tahoe LTZ, which is obviously the Brother of the GMC Yukon Denali. For my model year, the difference in "Premium" feel and looks of the interior in the Denali, were superior to my Tahoe LTZ. I had every option available as well, so it was a fair comparison.

I don't know how much difference there is now though. I went with the Sierra because I preferred the aesthetics over the Silverado.

All of that being said, I have to admit though, I own a 1500 and haven't really had a close look at the 2500 or 3500 HD.

I think people sometimes feel better if the interior, where you spend your time anyway, feels or looks more premium, and they're spending 70k on a truck. So maybe that's why they'd choose the Sierra over the Silverado?? Not sure. Personally, I prefer the Sierra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference is the greatest its ever been yet still not too much difference. Obviously Denali has the leather dash, full LCD cluster. GMC vs. Chevy HD for the more basics, the 18" and 20" wheels are different designs, the steel 18" and 17" and 17" aluminum wheels are the same just different label on the center cap. Obviously there is a bigger sheet metal difference. The entire front clip, box sides, headlights. The cabs are the same, frames, engines, axles, etc. 2007-2013 there was less difference, and then the 99-07 the real differences were the GMC badging inside, and the front clip. Same for the GMT-400 88-98 trucks.

Regarding dealerships - during the re-organization of 2008 GM was questioned about why GMC is still valid - and GM replied the dealerships would have big problems with GMC being eliminated regarding local areas competition ... you just can't eliminate GMC because some dealers will go under, and you just can't let GMC dealers become Chevy because of the local competition in each local sales area ... (you could end up with 2 Chevy dealers right next to each other and their franchise territories would be destroyed ...)

Regarding dealerships - during the re-organization of 2008 GM was questioned about why GMC is still valid - and GM replied the dealerships would have big problems with GMC being eliminated regarding local areas competition ... you just can't eliminate GMC because some dealers will go under, and you just can't let GMC dealers become Chevy because of the local competition in each local sales area ... (you could end up with 2 Chevy dealers right next to each other and their franchise territories would be destroyed ...)

The same thing was said in Canada about the killing of Pontiac. Because of the 50/50 dealer split, Pontiac sales were a bigger portion of sales here in Canada than in the US. I guess in the old days if Pontiacs were still built in Canada the brand could've been kept. Canadian built B bodies were built more to Chev specs than American Wide Track models. The sheet metal didn't interchange between similar model.

Before the whole "Professional Grade" marketing GMCs were just trucks. W/ that tag line people think that they're getting a "better" truck than the Chev.

I remember my father saying back in the 70s that GMC priced out about 300 bucks more w/ no real difference in content. He owned 2 GMCs, a '75 & a '79. His reasoning went back to his days working in the HD truck dep't back in the day when the Crackerboxes & Steel Tilts were built in Oshawa. He considered the GMC a real truck even though he knew there was no difference. He did admit he liked the grille on the GMCs more than the Chev "egg crate".

In my area most dealers now how both chev and gmc pickups.

They don't want to give up GMC --'the longest selling nameplate'.

OTOH, the always sell more silverados than sierra's.

There a few little things that are on one but not (or are optional) on the other.

Like the moveable upper tie downs that are included on the sierra.

Wheel arch moldings - only on sierra.

OTOH, chev has more Z71 trim changes than the gmc.

My dad claims the GMC is better quality, lol. But that could have been "back in the day" . .. my GM dealer refuses to sell me a Chev, saying "I only sell the best". He hasn't elaborated on that . .. so I am still unsure why the Sierra is better than the Silverado :). I've had a black Sierra since 2000. Now I have a white one, haha.

Had a few Chevy trucks and now a Denali HD. I see no quality difference and in fact I have had more issues with this GMC. I switched back to a LTZ Z71 HD with the new diesel and just waiting for it to be delivered.

We've had an 09 yukon denali, an 08 1500 Sierra denali. My wife and I both just upgraded, she got a new 16 Denali yukon, and I got a 16 2500 high country. I always thought I'd get another Denali, but there was something about the HC's interior that swayed my decision. I love the brown leather color for a change. Didn't care for the denali tan leather, and I didn't want black again. I also thought the 2500 HC's front ends looked better. Maybe it was because coming from an 08 sierra denali, the newer front ends didn't update all that dramatically for my likings. So to answer your question, I think it comes down to what you've had, what your tired of, or what your local dealer has that catches your eye. Because besides options and aesthetics they are basically the same beasts.

GMC - Mines Professional Grade - the TV ad said so

GMC sells less so they have to cost about 5% more +-

Same assembly line & same people putting the same parts on except for the LOGOs, wheels, and interior esthetics = about 99% the same, different fender well design (barely noticeable),Different head & taillights & grill

Drive Trane / Frame / connectors 100% the same

I specifically eliminated gmc in my shopping because I didn't want to give people the impression that I am trying to attain "professional grade" status. I will do just fine as a regular guy in a chevy.

I personally like the cosmetics of the GMC product. Attention to detail does seem to favor GMC. With that said. I bought a chevy.

Last May I saw a couple of GMC 2500HD regular cabs w/o fog lights. I didn't mind the grille, but I haven't caught on to the new style of headlight that GMC adopted in '15. The black plastic "filler" in the bumper looks cheap.

I personally like the cosmetics of the GMC product. Attention to detail does seem to favor GMC. With that said. I bought a chevy.

Last May I saw a couple of GMC 2500HD regular cabs w/o fog lights. I didn't mind the grille, but I haven't caught on to the new style of headlight that GMC adopted in '15. As well, the black plastic "filler" in the bumper looks cheap.

Archived