Fuel Tank Upgrade

Stereo / bushleague - have either of you tried to drive the truck past the alarm to see how many miles / gallons it actually has to empty? I can't understand why they would determine that we need a 5-6 gallon cushion to refuel. Nobody does that and it's very mis-leading. I may put a jerry can in my truck and drive to dry... not ideal case but I may just try it. When we travel for fishing/hunting or visiting family in north Ontario there are not many/any gas stations available and none open after 6-7pm. Having to travel with jerry cans on these trips is not the ideal situation. My wife and kids travel often north... hate to have her have to put fuel in the truck with a can....just in case. Keep y'all posted. Thanks for all your responses. I spoke to dealership yesterday. As far as they are aware it should be a 98lt/26 gal tank so they are also puzzled with my situation to date but are willing to investigate after my next fill-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Stereo / bushleague - have either of you tried to drive the truck past the alarm to see how many miles / gallons it actually has to empty? I can't understand why they would determine that we need a 5-6 gallon cushion to refuel. Nobody does that and it's very mis-leading. I may put a jerry can in my truck and drive to dry... not ideal case but I may just try it. When we travel for fishing/hunting or visiting family in north Ontario there are not many/any gas stations available and none open after 6-7pm. Having to travel with jerry cans on these trips is not the ideal situation. My wife and kids travel often north... hate to have her have to put fuel in the truck with a can....just in case. Keep y'all posted. Thanks for all your responses. I spoke to dealership yesterday. As far as they are aware it should be a 98lt/26 gal tank so they are also puzzled with my situation to date but are willing to investigate after my next fill-up.

It usually comes on with ~50 miles remaining and at ~30 miles it merely displays Low Fuel. I think I managed 35-40 miles highway after that low warning to when it cut out.

• Like 1

You are not crazy. My tank is not as big as my 08 AVY. I cannot get over 400 miles on a tank despite averaging 20 MPG and mostly highway driving.

When I fill up from the gas light being on I get about 20 gallons into the tank.

I have not looked in the manual or anything and just assumed the decreased capacity was related to fuel economy. It is frustrating as I didn't even consider asking about it when I bought it and only found out after I filled up for the first time.

You are not crazy. My tank is not as big as my 08 AVY. I cannot get over 400 miles on a tank despite averaging 20 MPG and mostly highway driving.

When I fill up from the gas light being on I get about 20 gallons into the tank.

I have not looked in the manual or anything and just assumed the decreased capacity was related to fuel economy. It is frustrating as I didn't even consider asking about it when I bought it and only found out after I filled up for the first time.

The light is conservative and comes on with 4-5 gallons left

• Like 1

I put a little over 24 gallons in today. Normally between 20 and 22 gallons depending on how far away from Sam's I am.

f187f7ed6e8fdb1135e4c76ae94eef92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

26 Gal is whatcha got.... Seems too small to me my double cab is the same size tank.. I would love love love to have a 34 gallon tank... My 2016 Malibu has a 13 gallon tank, which freaking sucks.... It gets 38 mpg hwy but, still it seems like we're always at the gas station with that thing... The 2LT and Premium models have a 15.8 gallon tank, why that isn't in the 1LT that I bought makes no sense to me...

We'll see. When The fuel light comes it only takes 20 gal to fill. Absolutely silly to have a fuel light come on this early. I am going to suck it dry later today and see how many miles can be done once that warning light goes off. Will put in 5 gal then pull into the next gas station to fill. That will give me the facts.

• Like 1

Most of this is caused by meeting the SAE J2807 standards.

To meet the standard the frame needs to comply so good for use we get fully boxed frames with more cross bracing and they are allot stronger.

Bad for us there is less space so the fuel tanks are smaller.

I still remember my 1991 Silverado reg cab had a 40 Gallon tank on it. I could go two weeks on a tank of gas but it cost almost a $100 to fill it back in 1992 gas prices ha ha.

The truck flexed like a piece of paper though :)

I traded in my 2003 Suburban for my 14 Sierra and didn't even think to check the fuel capacity at the time I bought it. I am a little frustrated as the burban had 31 gallon capacity I believe. When towing heavy on long road trips, I find I am filling up "too often" and well before anyone has to use the bathroom.

Agree with everyone that the light is very conservative on these trucks and still have approx 5 gallons left once it comes on.

definitely interested in adding an aux tank if possible

Light definitely comes on early. Does the same thing on the HDs, drove 60 miles after the light came on once. Put in 34.355 gallons in a 34 gallon tank lol I think it stops counting down at 30 miles left and just says "low fuel."

• 2 weeks later...