Who is using factory projectors with HIDs?

Here is a thread with what i did. I did use the stock projector housing in my 2015 denali. Lower in the thread i upgraded my fogs lights to a better quality but running an hid kit with relay from the battery for headlights and led fogs.

Http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/184971-installed-led-fogs-tonight/

I am pretty happy with my setup but have thought about switching to led headlights but dont feel I will be as happy as I am with the HIDs

I am DDM 55W 5000k in mine and LOVE the light output. It is excellent at night and here in Wisconsin at night on the back roads, the brights are insane, can see the ditch for deer and a ways up ahead.

is DDM cheaper, yes, have they worked for 2+ years now without a hitch, yes. Also had them in my Mercedes C300 for a few years without a problem as well.

Who here is using the factory projectors with HID lights? How is the light output?

I'm installing my Morimoto 35w 4500k this week. I'll let you know. I have LED's in my stock projectors now and frankly I'm disappointed. Really hoping the HID's will be better. I also installed Morimoto Type G LED fogs and they're amazing. My Sierra is a 2015.

I am DDM 55W 5000k in mine and LOVE the light output. It is excellent at night and here in Wisconsin at night on the back roads, the brights are insane, can see the ditch for deer and a ways up ahead.

is DDM cheaper, yes, have they worked for 2+ years now without a hitch, yes. Also had them in my Mercedes C300 for a few years without a problem as well.

I'm installing my Morimoto 35w 4500k this week. I'll let you know. I have LED's in my stock projectors now and frankly I'm disappointed. Really hoping the HID's will be better. I also installed Morimoto Type G LED fogs and they're amazing. My Sierra is a 2015.

I literally just installed the Morimoto 35w 5500s, and love the light output, but I think you can tell the projectors are made for halogen.

I literally just installed the Morimoto 35w 5500s, and love the light output, but I think you can tell the projectors are made for halogen.

I really wish someone would make aftermarket headlights with LED or HID projectors for these trucks. All the aftermarket headlights I've seen are meant for halogen bulbs.

I got the HID upgrade kit from( the retrofit source ) and it was a huge improvement but they do leave some to be desired. I built some projector headlights using (DDM tuning) projectors and HIDS for my Jeep and they blow these out of the water.

And DDM tuning is considered lower end I suppose ...but they're rock solid HIDs with lifetime warranty. I've had them on for years without a single issue on multiple cars. If I could do it again I might just go with DDM canbus HIDs ran with a harness. It would cost about half of the TRS kit. TRS does make a solid package though just don't know of the price is justified

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you are trying to decide if HID is worth it, I can tell you it''s 100% worth it. I upgraded mine to Morimoto 35w 4500K HID a little over a year ago and don't regret it one bit. The output is so much better compared to the output from the stock halogens. Now are these stock projector housings as good as the ones on high end cars? No, they are not, but the HIDs make them a whole lot more functional.

I also installed HID's in my stock projectors (55w 5000K). They are a huge improvement over the stock halogen light output, however, the light distribution is a little spotty for me. It has light and dark spots. I drove a 2016 with the upgraded stock HID headlights and the distribution on those were amazing but I'll trade my truck before I spend the money to upgrade those headlight assemblies.

If you are trying to decide if HID is worth it, I can tell you it''s 100% worth it. I upgraded mine to Morimoto 35w 4500K HID a little over a year ago and don't regret it one bit. The output is so much better compared to the output from the stock halogens. Now are these stock projector housings as good as the ones on high end cars? No, they are not, but the HIDs make them a whole lot more functional.

Agree 100% they aren'tt the best but definitely way better then stock....Not even a question do the upgrade.

I did 55w HIDs and love the output as well. However it seems to be blinding people in cars, especially if I have weight in the bed.

I was blinding the world after my lift.. but I adjusted my projectors and I'm good now

• 1 month later...

Agree 100% they aren'tt the best but definitely way better then stock....Not even a question do the upgrade.

I was blinding the world after my lift.. but I adjusted my projectors and I'm good now

They are surprisingly easy to adjust and am not blinding everyone now... For all those with HIDs consider adjusting your projectors lower to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

Morimoto GMC spec 35w kit and took advantage of the group buy for Morimoto XB LED fog lights recently. Lighting is on a different level altogether off to sides and filling in black spots from OE projector.

Archived