Diesel or gas let's hear it

basically a diesel engine just requires more maintenance and more expensive repairs if you keep it for a while.

if you don't need the extra muscle, its just purely for show. I would never buy a diesel HD truck for a daily driver. but that just me. at the end of the day, you get to decide what you want. if you are looking to lease, you can avoid most of the repairs and you are just paying a slightly higher monthly payment. but that is just a different way to part yourself from money.

Well said!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't pull much just get another 6.2/8spd. I'm on my 2nd and both have been great. My previous 3 trucks were 3500 HD Diesels with the last version a 2015. They will daily drive just fine but why if you don't really need it? Going from a 6.2 8spd down to the 6.0 6spd will be a noticeable difference..I also have a 3500 HD 6.0 work truck.

$9000 ish diesel option buys you a shit load of gasoline for the equivalent option.

In the same boat...might dump my 1500 for the added payload of an HD but don't tow more than 8-10 times a year.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Breakeven is around 100,000 miles from a fuel cost/fuel mileage standpoint.

i do pull a 6k lb camper I know that will nothing for this truck that is why I did not wanna go down in power but the truth is that yes it would be mostly used for my daily driving so as long as that will not effect they truck and it will average 18 like my 6.2 I don't see a reason not to get a diesel for the added towing benefits

I had a 6,000 pound, 27' travel trailer too. Now I have a 7,500 pound 34' TT. My point is that many people seem to get bigger ones over time. So make sure you 100% good with what you have before you decide on what truck. If you want a bigger one in the future, think about a 3/4 ton (gas or diesel).

S Crow " If it makes you happy" :happysad:

:ughdance: ON!

Are we really quoting Sheryl Crow? :crazy:

Unless you pull a lot and have extra $$$ to throw at the Diesel, stick with the gasser.

Extra money for what oil filters DEF ? Please explain

If you don't pull much just get another 6.2/8spd. I'm on my 2nd and both have been great. My previous 3 trucks were 3500 HD Diesels with the last version a 2015. They will daily drive just fine but why if you don't really need it? Going from a 6.2 8spd down to the 6.0 6spd will be a noticeable difference..I also have a 3500 HD 6.0 work truck.

there about to put the third brand new 8 speed in there I just can see them being any better

My 2017 has been flawless..6600 miles so far.

I just hate to keep it and about 20k mikes later and it mess up again how many trys should I give them before getting rid of it

Extra money for what oil filters DEF ? Please explain

Just the overall cost of ownership. They won't get as great of fuel economy with all the emissions crap that rape the fuel economy from the engine. You'll be lucky to see 16, 17 MPG highway if you drive on flat stretches, 12-13 MPG City. Keeping your foot out of it. Diesel fuel tends to run 20-30 cents more a gallon vs mid-grade Gasoline. Insurance will be a bit higher. Oil changes will run you.. $75.00-$100.00 if you take it in, about $50.00 if you do it yourself. DEF- About $12.00 for a 2 gallon jug. My 2012 takes 5 gallons of the stuff. Some say you might get a better deal on the DEF crap if you take it to a truck stop and fill it up there. Plan on filling up your DEF about every 6000 miles or so. Rumor has it the newer trucks are consuming the DEF a bit quicker, but I can't confirm that.

Hmm. The 12mpg of the 6.0 (no personal experience, just from what OP referenced earlier) doesn't sound too shabby now. If mpg is your only concern of getting the diesel over the gasser, then that argument just poofed out the window.

If mpg is comparable and maintenance costs are that much more, sounds like a complete waste if you don't tow regularly to spend the extra money on a diesel (purchase and maintenance)

Just went to picked up my truck because they were doing nothing to it waiting on GM tech to call them since last Friday. As far as mpg go a a guy at work has the 6.0 best he say he gets is 11 and sone other guys at work (2) both say they avage 18 in there diesel it's not really a mpg or general maintenance cost I'm looking at it what the best way not to be back in that shop again and yes id love to just ride around in a 2500 diesel I would use it maybe 10% of the time to pull with but what this is all about is the fact that this 8 speed is not working out and I do t really want to chance getting another one that's not right

Mine is a diesel and and used as a DD and anything else I want to do. I pull a 36' TT that has a GVWR of 9500 between 6-10 times a year. I had the same thought when I got mine. "If I'm getting a 2500, it's gonna be a diesel". Plus, the huge discounts they had at the time helped eat the diesel cost. I suppose I could actually be fine with a 1500 Max Tow no more than I pull the camper. Maybe next time I'll explore that option, but I'm content with my diesel DD for now. Have over 20k miles on it and many of my daily trips are 2 miles each way. It runs enough on weekends and trips to do a good DPF cleaning, plus, it's under warranty.

Mine is a diesel and and used as a DD and anything else I want to do. I pull a 36' TT that has a GVWR of 9500 between 6-10 times a year. I had the same thought when I got mine. "If I'm getting a 2500, it's gonna be a diesel". Plus, the huge discounts they had at the time helped eat the diesel cost. I suppose I could actually be fine with a 1500 Max Tow no more than I pull the camper. Maybe next time I'll explore that option, but I'm content with my diesel DD for now. Have over 20k miles on it and many of my daily trips are 2 miles each way. It runs enough on weekends and trips to do a good DPF cleaning, plus, it's under warranty.

trust me at 9500 lbs you want the diesel I would not want any more weight behind me in a 1500 it pulls it good but why stain it and wear it out being close to the max let's face it that's just a selling point

I have both, a 2002 2500hd Duramax 6.6 with the Allison transmission and a 2015 2500hd gas 6.0. I own a landscaping company and use them both for work. The Duramax is my go to truck, it's does 70% of the towing, the torque is what makes it awesome to pull with. The 2500 gas does good but is slow, down shifts constantly on any kind of hill, and drinks gas. Yes gas is cheaper but when you tow every day a diesel is nice. The 2500 gas is also my daily driver and I average 11 to 13 not towing and 8,9,10 mpg towing depending on what I'm pulling that day. I didn't get a new diesel because of all the emissions crap, didn't want to deal with DEF and all that. Really at the end of the day get what you want and get what makes you happy!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Archived