Cold Remote Start - Smell Exhaust in Truck?

I've noticed lately on my 16 that when I remote start when it's cold out and get in a few minutes later the the truck stinks like exhaust fumes inside cab. Truck is parked outside and the prevailing wind blows away from the truck normally.

Is this normal to smell exhaust inside cab or should I be looking for an exhaust leak?

No its coming from my truck. When it's 10 degrees out the exhaust is quite Stanky from the rich fuel mixture. When you remote start it cranks the fan speed on max. I think it's just sucking in the exhaust from the tail pipe. In the morning the air is calm and the exhaust has no place to go?

I've noticed lately on my 16 that when I remote start when it's cold out and get in a few minutes later the the truck stinks like exhaust fumes inside cab. Truck is parked outside and the prevailing wind blows away from the truck normally.

Is this normal to smell exhaust inside cab or should I be looking for an exhaust leak?

Good afternoon ShamrockShooter,

This is far from what we like to hear from our customers and we sincerely apologize for the experience you've had thus far, especially so early into your ownership. We encourage you to send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership so we can look further into this matter. We hope to hear back from you soon.

https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Regards,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Silverado, and have had a similar problem for the last two years. I get heavy fumes with a hot or cold start, no matter the outside temp, and my truck is in an open area when started. The fumes are so strong that when I start it I have to drive away immediately, or my cab fills up with exhaust fumes. If I am standing near the truck I have to go inside the house, or get in and leave. I have spoken to the dealer about this on more than one occasion and have not been able to get any help. Last year I was there for an oil change, and was told when I start my truck to close my door, make sure my windows are up, and turn the a/c re-circulation on. This makes no difference, I can smell the exhaust even if the a/c is turned off. The dealer also said that since the check engine light was not on there was no way for them to diagnose the problem. Last week it was close to 70 out, and when I started my truck there was a good amount of white smoke from the tail pipe.

Check and see if it's leaking somewhere under the cab or in the engine compartment.

Try shutting the heater completely off and see if it's better if so you may have a exhaust leak under the hood and it's getting sucked into the heater inlets.

Check when cold of course the pipes may be heating up and the leak will seal up when it gets hot.

Had this happen on a car once years ago took a while before I found it was leaking right at the exhaust manifold I just replaced the bolts and re-tightened the silly thing and it stopped.

Archived