Rust spots showing on paint

Washed my truck the other day and I found a bunch of small rust spots on the surface of the tailgate - they rub off with a bit of effort. What would cause this? I maybe haven't washed it as often as I should have this winter, but a 2 year old truck shouldn't have paint issues either.

Rail dust it's not a paint issue.

Aka metallic particles / contaminants that get on the paint.

Claybar then seal and or wax and you will be good for awhile

Ryan B.

Use a good sealant and it'll keep em away. My silver truck used to get them pretty frequently the first few years I had it. Clay bar, polish, seal and wax with collinite no more orange speckles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remind me why I bought a white truck again?

LOL! My first new truck, a '86 F150, was white. What a pain the the A$$ to keep clean. I swore I'd never own a white vehicle again! :rollin:

Rail dust it's not a paint issue.

Aka metallic particles / contaminants that get on the paint.

Claybar then seal and or wax and you will be good for awhile

Ryan B.

Shouldn't be rail dust almost 2 years after the truck was built, but yes it was built in Mexico. Snow plow filings make sense, but I didn't have any issues last winter.

Shouldn't be rail dust almost 2 years after the truck was built, but yes it was built in Mexico. Snow plow filings make sense, but I didn't have any issues last winter.

Hey there, i just picked up a 2017 summit white sierra at the end of January and i too have these tiny rust specks. I've dealt with them before on the old ladys white civic. Its from any metal particulate in the air, especially from your brake rotors. Its an ongoing battle to remove lol.

The term is coined rail dust. It will continue unless you maintain your paint correctly as stated previously

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived