Frustrated with GM and this Transmission!!!

I am sure there is already threads about this, but hoping that people can weigh in how they have made out in the end. I am on my second tranny "reset", as well as a new Torque Converter on my 2016 Z71 6sp. has about 5K miles on it. Initially brought in for hard shifting, shaking and stuttering real bad (similar to when you have a bad coil), and mis shifts. After replacing the TC and it not solving the problem, GM stated that it is a "normal characteristic" of the truck. I called BS. Dealer and GM refuse to help or further diagnose the real problem, I have requested a techinical rep to drive the truck and have been denied multiple times. The first visit they had my truck for 19 days. I since dropped it off a second time for the same problem, but even worse now is when I pull into traffic (totally intermittent) from a stop, it will just completely fall on its face, I have zero power for a few seconds, then it slams into gear. You can not tell when it will happen and it makes me feel very unsafe. After reading some threads on various sites, I am not the only one that this is happening to. Curious to see how other people have made out. They have had the truck for 7 days now on the second visit. I am pretty close to the lemon law here in NYS and plan to get rid of this pile of crap when available.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried a different dealership? Some can be a$$e$. I believe there's a bulletin out for this and GM is obligated to fix it. Remember you gather more bees with honey than you do with vinegar so don't go in there like you want to start WWIII.

Have you test driven a different truck of the same year to compare? Just curious if you know for a fact that your truck has a problem, or if it just shifts different than you think it should. I have never experienced any of the tranny problems / vibration issues that so many complain about on this forum. I wonder if they are expecting the truck to feel different than it does.

What did you drive previously? These trucks all have very active transmissions & AFM, etc.

Great advice,I have been extremely calm and collected with them throughout the process, but you reach a point where there is an issue and they just do not seem to care. I have driven 4 different trucks now. My friend has the same model and year, no issues. I have had 3 loaners from the dealership, 2 for when my truck has been in, and 1 when my wife's ford was there (all 17s though) and they do not skip a beat. I have been in many previous model z71s also and they were all fine.The Foreman who drives it always comments why "mine is worse than others" or "I did feel a small abnormality" but can never offer a solution. I came from a f150, and yes I know they shift much different than Chevy's, however when you do not have power for 3 or more seconds during a shift (as if it is in neutral), something is wrong, regardless of what make or model imo.

Ok, I'm new to all of this, and this literally my second post.

I just traded my '16 powerstroke for my current 2014 4x4 SLE.

When I test drove the truck, I noticed a couple times, when I put the pedal to the floor, the truck would downshift, RPM's would jump to 5500 (or so), then the pedal would go dead. The tach would wind past 6000, hold for maybe 1.5 seconds, then without letting up on the pedal would up shift to whatever gear, then downshift again.

I only got it to do this twice, so I thought maybe it was the traction control kicking in for whatever reason. But now that I've driven the truck for a few more days, I'm noticing it a little more. Is this the same issues you're having as well? I would like to know if this isn't a normal GM thing. It doesn't feel normal to me, but I'm not a big GM follower.

Ok, I'm new to all of this, and this literally my second post.

I just traded my '16 powerstroke for my current 2014 4x4 SLE.

When I test drove the truck, I noticed a couple times, when I put the pedal to the floor, the truck would downshift, RPM's would jump to 5500 (or so), then the pedal would go dead. The tach would wind past 6000, hold for maybe 1.5 seconds, then without letting up on the pedal would up shift to whatever gear, then downshift again.

I only got it to do this twice, so I thought maybe it was the traction control kicking in for whatever reason. But now that I've driven the truck for a few more days, I'm noticing it a little more. Is this the same issues you're having as well? I would like to know if this isn't a normal GM thing. It doesn't feel normal to me, but I'm not a big GM follower.

I have heard tons of complaints about how it is "trying to find the right gear" when doing that, however my loss of power (or dead pedal) happens when im at a stop light or stop sign, then accelerating, always between 1st and 2nd gear.

Stopping hard then back on the throttle will result in a peddle lag or just full out dead. It's because the traction control and stability control are still running their loops and killing the power.

They think your still stopping!!!!! If you stop then go with enough time no issue.

Traction control will kick in between 1st and 2nd however it's your tires causing this. My 2014 was bad for doing this on the stupid SR-A crap tires. Once I put Duratrac on it it stopped.

The 2016 will do it a little bit on wet roads but the Brigstones get acceptable traction so on dry roads no issues.

These systems are mandated but I do find GM's to be more aggressive than others.

..... also no need to tune .

With 3k on my 16 Z71 BEAUTIFUL Summit White double cab , the writing was on the wall . Take a hit now money wise or later ..... I choose now ! The dealer bought the 16 back .

The 17 2500 is what I should have bought . Look on the forums here for the 2500 ..... though to find issue threads . Not the same with the 1500 forums .

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you got it bought back. I have been back and forth with the dealer, fortunately now, the check engine light is on for a TC circuit, truck is back with dealership, GM itself is also involved. Still very skeptical on what the outcome will be. Have no faith in the truck between this issue and the other issues that can not be resolved. Ill post updates, good or bad. Hopefully they'll do the right thing at this point.

..... also no need to tune .
With 3k on my 16 Z71 BEAUTIFUL Summit White double cab , the writing was on the wall . Take a hit now money wise or later ..... I choose now ! The dealer bought the 16 back .

The 17 2500 is what I should have bought . Look on the forums here for the 2500 ..... though to find issue threads . Not the same with the 1500 forums .

Archived