Frustrated with GM and this Transmission!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the same issues with my 16. brought it in a few times and I guess I just have to live with this crap transmission. Thank god its only a lease so when its up ill go with another brand. I did have a base model 2500 as a loaner and wow that truck shift and drove flawless. If I were to go GM again I would go 2500 for sure

Had the same issues with my 16. brought it in a few times and I guess I just have to live with this crap transmission. Thank god its only a lease so when its up ill go with another brand. I did have a base model 2500 as a loaner and wow that truck shift and drove flawless. If I were to go GM again I would go 2500 for sure

I would not generalize that just because you drove one 2500 that shifted good, that all of them will shift good. GM evidently has quality control problems with these transmissions. i am sure there are quite a few 1500s that shift properly and more than a few 2500s that have shifting issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've only had my 16 Custom Double Cab with tow package for a year and only put 6700 miles on it one of the first things I did was deep six the stock CAI and installed the GM Performance. I did take it in a an oil change at 5000 miles and just had it in because I noticed the oil gauge going from 25/30 psi at an idle to 80 psi when I put the pedal to the floor. They told me it was normal and because of the two stage oil pump.

The trans shifts just fine under full throttle and normal driving and I've had no issues. The GM CAI made a world of difference and gave me almost 2 mpg more on the highway plus it sounds much better. I traded in my 08 Hemi Ram 1500 and although hindsight is 20/20, I should have kept the my old 98 1 ton dually...that was a truck.

All I can say is that my 2016 All Terrain X still shifts like ass after bringing it back to the dealer. They are aware of all the problems with these transmissions. Told me they've replaced many torque converters and whole transmissions. I think it's even worse since the relearn. Bangs gears when it wants. Seems like it doesn't downshift when coming to a stop and sometimes it feels like it drops 3 gears at once and bangs like a mofo. Shifting under hard acceleration is fine but low speeds it's very erratic. With all the banging and crashing gears it feels like this truck is going to tear itself to pieces. I have an extended warranty also so as the truck self destructs they can keep fixing it. I am such an ass to keep buying GM trucks. My last 2015 had a god damn water leak from the antennae when it was brand new. They pulled the headliner down twice to fix it. Damn thing rattled and creaked so bad. So dumb me traded it for the GMC. My 2014 Avalanche was bought back under the lemon law for a rear window leak that they couldn't fix. My 2005 GTO had an airbag light that they couldn't fix so I traded it for a 2006. I am done with GM after this piece of crap

All I can say is that my 2016 All Terrain X still shifts like ass after bringing it back to the dealer. They are aware of all the problems with these transmissions. Told me they've replaced many torque converters and whole transmissions. I think it's even worse since the relearn. Bangs gears when it wants. Seems like it doesn't downshift when coming to a stop and sometimes it feels like it drops 3 gears at once and bangs like a mofo. Shifting under hard acceleration is fine but low speeds it's very erratic. With all the banging and crashing gears it feels like this truck is going to tear itself to pieces. I have an extended warranty also so as the truck self destructs they can keep fixing it. I am such an ass to keep buying GM trucks. My last 2015 had a god damn water leak from the antennae when it was brand new. They pulled the headliner down twice to fix it. Damn thing rattled and creaked so bad. So dumb me traded it for the GMC. My 2014 Avalanche was bought back under the lemon law for a rear window leak that they couldn't fix. My 2005 GTO had an airbag light that they couldn't fix so I traded it for a 2006. I am done with GM after this piece of crap

Poorly assembled transmissions are unteachable.

• 2 months later...

Happy to say that I finally finished the transaction with the Dealer, where GM did a "voluntary" buy back.....However it was far from Voluntary. We had a lemon law court date 3 days prior to me getting the phone call for them to say they'll purchase it back. Their buyback process is another typical GM circus. However, truck is gone and I am a proud new owner of a F150 Ecoboost Limited, couldn't be more "at home" and happy with it. Leaps and bounds better than the Silverado.

Happy to say that I finally finished the transaction with the Dealer, where GM did a "voluntary" buy back.....However it was far from Voluntary. We had a lemon law court date 3 days prior to me getting the phone call for them to say they'll purchase it back. Their buyback process is another typical GM circus. However, truck is gone and I am a proud new owner of a F150 Ecoboost Limited, couldn't be more "at home" and happy with it. Leaps and bounds better than the Silverado.

Glad your happy! Careful with the ecoboost bud I am just being honest with ya.....report back in 12 months too!

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to say I found the solution to the poor shifting, clunking on deceleration, paint chipping, rough idle, and slow response to all the electronic screen features on my 2016 LTZ Z71 4X4 6.2 8 speed with less than 13K miles.

The solution was to take the hit in the wallet and buy a 2016 F150 4X4 5.0 6 speed. I can not believe how much smoother and quieter the ride is. The front suspension does not bang when I go over a speed bump either. Seats are more comfortable and the console shifter is more attractive to me. The transmission shifts flawlessly, and the "sport" mode makes it fun to drive. The SYNC system is FAR more responsive and has more features than GM's version. The F150 was used and had a little ding on the bedside but the paint did not fall off like every tiny little thing that ever touched the Silverado. Easy to disable the seat belt alarm and auto door locks too. The only thing I feel like I gave up is the raw acceleration power of the 6.2L I will surely miss that.

I did not write this post to bash the Silverado, I wrote it to bash GM for not fixing it after 14 trips to 2 dealerships. I am sure the Ford will have issues also and as long as Ford stands behind their product I will be satisfied. GM has really gone downhill and quality and customer service.

Glad your happy! Careful with the ecoboost bud I am just being honest with ya.....report back in 12 months too!

They have their issue no doubt but majority of EB engines are super durable. Sad to see guys go but money is hard earned and you want to be happy.

I am happy to say I found the solution to the poor shifting, clunking on deceleration, paint chipping, rough idle, and slow response to all the electronic screen features on my 2016 LTZ Z71 4X4 6.2 8 speed with less than 13K miles.

The solution was to take the hit in the wallet and buy a 2016 F150 4X4 5.0 6 speed. I can not believe how much smoother and quieter the ride is. The front suspension does not bang when I go over a speed bump either. Seats are more comfortable and the console shifter is more attractive to me. The transmission shifts flawlessly, and the "sport" mode makes it fun to drive. The SYNC system is FAR more responsive and has more features than GM's version. The F150 was used and had a little ding on the bedside but the paint did not fall off like every tiny little thing that ever touched the Silverado. Easy to disable the seat belt alarm and auto door locks too. The only thing I feel like I gave up is the raw acceleration power of the 6.2L I will surely miss that.

I did not write this post to bash the Silverado, I wrote it to bash GM for not fixing it after 14 trips to 2 dealerships. I am sure the Ford will have issues also and as long as Ford stands behind their product I will be satisfied. GM has really gone downhill and quality and customer service.

Glad you found your way to a solid vehicle. I test drove a ton of the 15 and 16s, they are awesome, just couldn't find one in my price point with all the bells and whistles. I landed on a 2013, Limited, and I absolutely love it. I could do without the huge factory 22s, but ill swap them out with nicer rims/tire package in time anyhow. Enjoy that 16!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2014 5.3 was experiencing same issue, rev up and slam into gear. Took it to three dealers and with out code and replication of said issue they could not do anything. Opened a claim with GM. Wouldn't you know it that same week sounded like a bag of marbles in the transmission and was having hard time grabbing a gear. They replaced it obviously. But unfortunately they cannot do much with out codes for them to read, IMO. Best thing is to open claim and have a running vehicle history with GM (Not Dealers)

Or just tune it, problems solved.

Soon as mine is out of warranty, I'm doing this. This transmission shift strategy is...."special". It's one stupid SOB.

I can be sitting at an intersection, waiting to turn right, and when I go, it's in 3rd gear before I even get going straight. Then you have to jab the gas a bit to get it to downshift into a gear it'll actually accelerate in. It won't just back into 2nd, goes all the way to 1st and you're winding like crazy.

If you give it enough gas for it not to shift 3 times, it chirps the tires (or slips/slides if it's raining) in the turn. Unacceptable.

I did notice that it doesn't do it in Tow mode, though. But that's a pain to deal with all the time, too.

As others , I will be tuning my 2015 5.3L as soon as I'm done with the warranty .

The transmission is constantly searching for the Holy Grail (proper gear) and

never seems to find it .. That and the AFM are going bye byes in about a year .

Anybody find it unacceptable that you spend a ton of your hard earned money on a vehicle that needs a "special" tune in order for it act the way it should? Some serious brand loyalty going on I guess!

Soon as mine is out of warranty, I'm doing this. This transmission shift strategy is...."special". It's one stupid SOB.

I can be sitting at an intersection, waiting to turn right, and when I go, it's in 3rd gear before I even get going straight. Then you have to jab the gas a bit to get it to downshift into a gear it'll actually accelerate in. It won't just back into 2nd, goes all the way to 1st and you're winding like crazy.

If you give it enough gas for it not to shift 3 times, it chirps the tires (or slips/slides if it's raining) in the turn. Unacceptable.

I did notice that it doesn't do it in Tow mode, though. But that's a pain to deal with all the time, too.

As others , I will be tuning my 2015 5.3L as soon as I'm done with the warranty .

The transmission is constantly searching for the Holy Grail (proper gear) and

never seems to find it .. That and the AFM are going bye byes in about a year .

Archived