Just picked up a new '16 2500HD Crew 4x4 6.0 Gas

Didn"t think I could afford it, but it was a left over 2016 that had amazing discounts.

It's the LT model with the all-star package, chrome nerf bars, and Nav.

Sticker was $49K got it for $30K wich is less than the $31k I paid for the '15 2wd double cab I traded in!!!

I love the 2500! I will level it and put 35's on it when the stock 17's are wore out.

Also want to put the tow mirrors on it. That's about it for mods.

Will post pics soon...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. The 6.0 is a great engine but I hope you budgeted a lot of money for fuel. If money is an issue, you don't want the 6.0 but the flip side is they sell dirt cheap.

If one doesn't try to bust the sound barrier when they are going down the highway, or try to use the traffic lights as their own personal NHRA Christmas Tree deal and race from light to light, the 6.0 in the 2500 isn't all that bad on fuel. Mine gets only 1-2 mpg average less than my previous 2013 1500 with 5.3 and 3.42 diffs.

If one lives in an area that has a large volume of ethanol related fuels, if gas ever goes up like it did several years ago, it is nice to have one of these flex fuel engines. When gas was bumping the $4 mark, I was getting E85 for over a buck a gallon cheaper. Sure it has lower fuel economy, but even with that, I was saving a grip on the per mile cost.

My 2015 2500 6.0 DC LT Z71 with snow plow prep bounces between 13 and 14 mpg for overall average mpg. That is everything... hauling, several miles of gravel roads daily, rural highways, in town, etc. A couple of road trips over 500 miles and it popped 17-18 mpg with no problem. On E85, the mpg average drops to around 11 mpg for all the local stuff. I lowered the back 2" using a set of McGaughy's shackles and put the next size up tires on. BFG KO2's.

That 11 mpg on E85 sounds bad, but may not be. Right now, E0 regular fuel is bouncing around $2.51 in my area. E10 at around $2.25. E85 is going for $1.76. If I pull off 14 mpg on regular, that comes to about 16.1 cents a mile cost on E10. On E85 at 11 mpg for $1.76 a gallon, the cost per mile is roughly the same. So about a 50-60 spread is break even. If fuel spread gets like it did a few years ago, and E85 is $1 or more cheaper per gallon, E85 will be the only thing going in the tank again.

For nicer ride, I would consider lowering tire pressures when empty or light loaded. I got the recommended pressure chart on my tires based on the axle load from the tire maker. I typically will run 55 up front and 45 in back when empty. I notice a little better fuel economy doing so, as I think the high OEM pressures cause a lot of rear wheel hop when empty and the anti slip electronics are constantly playing games. If I know I will be loading up the pickup, I air the tires up accordingly. I have become quite adept at ignoring the TPMS nonsense.

I purchased a leftover myself. Guy delivered it right to my home.

What's funny. I purchased the '07 Silverado new style with vortex 6.0 4L90 3.42 & 25gal fuel tank. I hated it. Especially fuel range. I nicknamed her, The Abomination!

I like the 6.0 w/4.10gear, it just works!

post-148235-0-79856400-1487954289_thumb.jpg

I had a 04 2500ld crew 6.0 with 4.10 it would pull a house off its foundation but needed a tanker of gas to do it. My 15 1500 5.3 3.42 was way faster and better on gas but didn't feel like a truck. The new 16 2500hd has the 6.0 and 4.10 and there is no mistaking that it's a truck If you drive like you want to burn gas you will. If you drive with some restraint 15mpg average is easy to get. That's pretty good for a 7000+ gas truck. My 16 is a "leftover" but rides smoother than the 15 and looks better as well. If I can't afford the gas there is something else wrong and it isn't the truck's fault :)

Just made a 1400 mile trip. I didn't try anything lower than 65mph. At that, I was getting 15mpg+. Ran 70 then 75. Truck kept getting worse.

So, 65 seems to be a sweat spot. Lower could get better. No where around here to drive that slow, uninterrupted & for long periods of time.

The OEM recommended pressures are correct.... but it is based on maximum gross vehicle weight. And GM's myopic understanding of the real world won't let them see outside the box. If one wants the tire recommended pressures from the tire maker, go to their contact page on their site and ask. Give them the tire and size. DO NOT tell them the vehicle they are on! They will just punt to the OEM recommendation.

Just made a 1400 mile trip. I didn't try anything lower than 65mph. At that, I was getting 15mpg+. Ran 70 then 75. Truck kept getting worse.

So, 65 seems to be a sweat spot. Lower could get better. No where around here to drive that slow, uninterrupted & for long periods of time.

I would concur with the 65 sweet spot idea. When I got my 17-18 mpg averages on road trips was doing the 65 game. After all those years of national 55 mph speed limits, I just never have felt any real desire to run over 65 now. The 2500 6.0 is a great fit for that.

I would concur with the 65 sweet spot idea. When I got my 17-18 mpg averages on road trips was doing the 65 game. After all those years of national 55 mph speed limits, I just never have felt any real desire to run over 65 now. The 2500 6.0 is a great fit for that.

The officials keep raising the speed limit. Probably cause the more we burn, the more the state makes.

I find it hard to run 65. I feel like I'm not getting nowhere. Then you sit back and think about it. It's not that big of a deal. On a 4hr trip it a difference of 20mins +/-..... Whatever.

Ever since my days of a jacked up 4x4 back in the 80s, I stick to running about 10 klicks (6 mph) over our speed limits. W/ the '82 if I ran faster than 90 on a 80 speed limit road, I could watch the gas gauge drop like a rock. Besides running 15 or 20 klicks over the limit on 2 lane highways is a good way to invite a chat w/ the provincial LEOs.

When I used to Ontario frequently, we called th OPP the "Ontario Party Poopers"

Funny you say that, cowpie. That's the trip I took. Ontario, Canada.

Max speed there was 100khm? Whatever. My buddy explained, troopers won't start writing tickets till 120+. So I cruised back at 118.

100khm is our 65mph. Khm, kpm. Idk?????

Archived