2015 Double Cab vs. 2014 Crew Cab

CFRED70

I know the 14's had quite a few recall issues, but the dealer I buy my trucks from has a loaded 2014 crew cab he just took in on trade, 25k miles. Having 2 little ones, the double cab is slowly running out of room. I'm wondering if I should pursue the 14 and see if I can get a good deal on it or should I just hang tight and wait until the double cab is def too small before upgrading....don't like the idea of going backwards in years and miles compared to what I have, but I also would love a crew cab.

Just like w any other make/model, you will have horror stories. And this is a good place to find them lol. Personally, I have a 14 cc LTZ fully loaded, I bought it used back in October. Haven't had the first problem with it. I have 2 small ones myself and the room it has is awesome (not as much as ford, dodge, or Toyota, but it looks better and its definitely big enough). If my wife would let me, I would put her in one tomorrow lol.

That being said, deals are had every day. I knew what I wanted and what my budget was. With patience, I found my truck. Get what you want, don't settle. Or you will be like I was with my last truck and drooling over every 14+ Silverado/Sierra you saw. Good luck!

If I had found this site before I bought my 15, I'd have probably kept whatever I had and waited until I absolutely had to! No problems with my 15 and I know people with 14's no problem, but this site scares the crap out of me lol I mean seriously it's nuts, like reading amazon reviews.

I had an 08 tundra DC before this and 2 kids, I didn't feel like moving up to a cc until close to the 9 age range, could have went a bit longer for sure but my son liked to sit in the middle and prop his feet on the console and I'd usually at some point get kicked in the back of the seat, or one would be in front and of course the other would sit in the seat behind them and they'd get kicked in the seat and that would tick someone off. All that went away with the cc, but wasn't too bad really though just irritating at times. my vote, unless you have to wait for what you want

I had a 14 DC that I traded for my 16 CC. With my son in his carrier and then the rear facing seat you had to have the passenger seat almost to the dash and getting the carrier in was a pain. I switched to the CC and now the pass seat will go almost all the way back and the car seat fits great!

I don't think I will trade my double cab in until I find a good deal on a used CCSB max tow. Plus the wife will be getting a new car before I do that so it will be a little while for me. I remember riding in my dads extended cab 3/4 ton diesel back in the 90's. Worked for me as a teen so my kids can deal with my double for a few more years.

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

I have a DC it's not that bad. I have an 8 and 5 year old and they are fine. I would rather have little more bed space. I put 2 50cc dirt bikes and a yz125 in the back plus all our riding gear. My wife has an Acadia if we need more room. Crew cabs are nice but bed just a little to small for me.

I have a 14 DC and am looking to move to the CCSB. Hard to find those around here especially with decent options. Seems like they outfit them mostly with the lower end trims for work trucks around my area. Not in a big hurry but wanted to test drive or at least look at them.

I know the 14's had quite a few recall issues, but the dealer I buy my trucks from has a loaded 2014 crew cab he just took in on trade, 25k miles. Having 2 little ones, the double cab is slowly running out of room. I'm wondering if I should pursue the 14 and see if I can get a good deal on it or should I just hang tight and wait until the double cab is def too small before upgrading....don't like the idea of going backwards in years and miles compared to what I have, but I also would love a crew cab.

You could do that if you want to make a car salesman richer and you poorer.

I'll say this: Raised my son from baby through teenager with Xcab trucks. Needed the 6'6" bed and my garage until last year was too short for a CC long bed.

So when I had three teenagers in the back, my wife and I pulled our seats forward 3" and they all basically fit. Did they have 3" of empty space in front of their knees? No, but they all fit and survived none the worse for wear.

That back seat with the front seats pulled up 3" is probably as big as a lot of midsize car back seats, and people have been known to ride in them.

Bigger is always better, but we never found it a horrible inconvenience. These days we all have cars and I would never spend extra on crew cab long bed even though it easily fits in my new garage and I can easily afford it. Why? I'm not a taxi.

I had a 14 DC that I traded for my 16 CC. With my son in his carrier and then the rear facing seat you had to have the passenger seat almost to the dash and getting the carrier in was a pain. I switched to the CC and now the pass seat will go almost all the way back and the car seat fits great!

This is my whole reasoning for looking at the CC. You put the carrier in the double cab you have to have the passenger seat all the way forward which makes driving anywhere further than 15 minutes miserable for that person. What drives me nuts is when the wife moves the seat back once she is in to gain a little bit of room, then she hops out and I go to get carrier out and its wedged in and you have to move the seat forward again. Every time a buddy hops in the passenger seat they say "who the heck was riding up here like this". It's not like I'm a taxi, but having a carrier, and an 8 year old in the back, and a passenger with their seat pulled all the way forward is no fun. Not sure if I should just bite the bullet for 2 more years until truck is paid for and then trade or see how bad it would be right now.....

This is my whole reasoning for looking at the CC. You put the carrier in the double cab you have to have the passenger seat all the way forward which makes driving anywhere further than 15 minutes miserable for that person. What drives me nuts is when the wife moves the seat back once she is in to gain a little bit of room, then she hops out and I go to get carrier out and its wedged in and you have to move the seat forward again. Every time a buddy hops in the passenger seat they say "who the heck was riding up here like this". It's not like I'm a taxi, but having a carrier, and an 8 year old in the back, and a passenger with their seat pulled all the way forward is no fun. Not sure if I should just bite the bullet for 2 more years until truck is paid for and then trade or see how bad it would be right now.....

You know, I get that guys like to buy trucks and they need to come up with reasons to buy them. I've bought a new pickup the last three years in a row and I've never kept one 4 years.

I'm just saying it can be done, and in relatively good fashion. Xcab pickup truck isn't exactly a Geo Metro for space.

For example, I just Googled leg room for a Toyota Camry, the best selling car in the US in 2016 and the 4th best selling vehicle.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/camry/2017/specs/camry-xle-v6-automatic-(natl)-383881

41.6" front, 38.9" rear

Then I Googled Silverado Double Cab leg room:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2017/specs/silverado-1500-double-cab-standard-box-2-wheel-drive-custom-383642

45.3" front, 34.63" rear.

They both have the same 80" of total leg room to play with, so like I said, if you pull the front seats forward 3-4" everyone has the same leg room as they would have in the most popular sedan in the country.

People in Camrys have been known to tote kids and passengers around with no one dying or crying.

Heck, a Cadillac XTS that US News calls a "large luxury car" only has 42.10 front and 40.0 rear. 82" of total legroom to play with, again not a ton of difference.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cadillac/xts/2016/specs/xts-3.6l-v6-turbo-vsport-awd-platinum-374262

So while I get CC have bigger back seats and are better people haulers, double cabs can do it pretty comfortably. (especially for kids who usually aren't built like the Packers)

My $.02

My brother has a 16 DC and I have a 14 CC I get poked in the back as it is by my 5 year old. While it wouldnt be the end of the world with a DC I will stick with a CC. My 14 will end up on someones lot here soon as my new 17 is in transit somewhere between Kansas City and Michigan. My lease is up and I guess it will be sent to auction. It will make someone a nice truck Max Tow LTZ 6.2 with only 21500 miles. Never had a lick of trouble with it either.

A double cab is fine but I prefer a crew cab. It is roomier for passengers and cargo! I don't think it is worth getting in further debt to make the deal described by the op but I might consider trading in for a newer truck!

When I bought my 15 CC I was debating between it and a 16 DC. Both had about 5000 miles. I don't have any kids but I do occasionally have passengers and the interior cargo room in the crew cab is nice. One other thing was that with my new one I bought a pet barrier to keep my dogs in the back when I travel with them because I don't want them tearing up the leather. The extra room in the CC makes the mutts a tad more comfortable. I have had a crew cab for 10 years and I really didn't want to go backwards in size.

I agree with MDoc, know what you want and what you're willing to pay. I wanted an LTZ with leather and all the bells and whistles. The dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay for my truck. I made them an offer that I felt was a good deal for me on the truck and under my budget fully expecting the dealer to say no. Well they accepted my offer and I have a new truck. If you can get a good deal on the 14 that is within your budget do it. But don't go over your budget or stretch anything to do it. Be patient know what your willing to pay and do your research. Go in with the midset that you don't need a new truck and will only do it if the deal is right. That's what I did. I was more than willing to keep driving my 2010 if I didn't get a good deal.

You know, I get that guys like to buy trucks and they need to come up with reasons to buy them. I've bought a new pickup the last three years in a row and I've never kept one 4 years.

I'm just saying it can be done, and in relatively good fashion. Xcab pickup truck isn't exactly a Geo Metro for space.

For example, I just Googled leg room for a Toyota Camry, the best selling car in the US in 2016 and the 4th best selling vehicle.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/camry/2017/specs/camry-xle-v6-automatic-(natl)-383881

41.6" front, 38.9" rear

Then I Googled Silverado Double Cab leg room:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2017/specs/silverado-1500-double-cab-standard-box-2-wheel-drive-custom-383642

45.3" front, 34.63" rear.

They both have the same 80" of total leg room to play with, so like I said, if you pull the front seats forward 3-4" everyone has the same leg room as they would have in the most popular sedan in the country.

People in Camrys have been known to tote kids and passengers around with no one dying or crying.

Heck, a Cadillac XTS that US News calls a "large luxury car" only has 42.10 front and 40.0 rear. 82" of total legroom to play with, again not a ton of difference.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cadillac/xts/2016/specs/xts-3.6l-v6-turbo-vsport-awd-platinum-374262

So while I get CC have bigger back seats and are better people haulers, double cabs can do it pretty comfortably. (especially for kids who usually aren't built like the Packers)

My $.02

One thing you didn't measure was door size. I'd be interested to know the opening of the rear doors. A baby carrier does not fit into the rear seat side ways, you have to angle it in. I'm glad you enjoy your double cab, and more than likely I won't be rushing in to buy a CC, but I just was wondering if guys that have moved from DC to CC have noticed it is alot bigger. I would almost bet that the opening to get in the back to a camry is larger than a double cab. I wasn't really asking for your permission to buy one, just asking if guys that own CC can definitely tell that its better than a DC. I don't really want to own a vehicle that I have to slide the seats forward so people in the rear can have more room. I'm 6'4" and the wife is 6'....the whole reason we don't own a camry is because we don't fit comfortably. The DC was great when it was just us and my older daughter, but now with a baby things have changed. GMC also states that the Acadia has almost the same volume interior as the Yukon, but I can tell you that the Yukon "feels" like it has more room.

i came from a ford with the short back door that opened suicide.. it sucked!.. i have the CC now and man.. so much room!.. plenty of leg room for all, and when you lift the seats up.. so much floor space... i wouldn't go back.

Archived