I can't see any modern truck lasting longer, and being cheaper to

I have been debating new trucks for 2yrs now, and after all the info is in, the 6.0 keeps coming out on top.

My goal is for my next truck to last me 15yrs/200,000 relatively free from issues.

6.0 GM is the only thing I forsee doing that.

Both new Ford half tons are unproven. Di, cyl deactivation, start/stop.

New GM half tons probably better, but still long term use is still unknown.

Diesels? Pass. Too much liability for the customer. One bad tank of fuel, and hello $10,000+ new fuel system, that dealer wont warranty, and good luck getting anything from the station that sold you the fuel. Extra filters, 3x oil change cost, ect.

6.0, outside of fuel, will cost no more to own than an older 5.3. No Di, no cyl deactivation.

Engine and trans have been proven to hell and back.

People bring up resale, which is a moot point if I keep it 15yrs.

Basically, the only downside to the 6.0 is fuel mileage. But considering that the dmax is a $10,000 option, I can pay for almost 6YEARS worth of fuel for the 6.0.

Also, anyone with basic tools, and a little ability can eaisly work on this truck.

Lastly, should hell freeze over and the 6.0 completely grenade itself, I can have a solid, used long block back in there for about $700.

There are mountains of used 6.0s.

Try that with ANY OTHER modern vehicle, let alone a diesel.

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are on the right track. However, I disagree about being able to repower for 700. Right now I do have a 16 year old 2500HD 6.0. It's not the motor that is the issue, it is everything else that falls apart and costs 500, and 12 hrs of my time, every month or so. I did have a 7.3 a few years back, way more dollars intense to keep on the road later in life! I can only speculate, but I bet 6.6 repairs will be through the roof in another 10 years from now.

I think you are on the right track. However, I disagree about being able to repower for 700. Right now I do have a 16 year old 2500HD 6.0. It's not the motor that is the issue, it is everything else that falls apart and costs 500, and 12 hrs of my time, every month or so. I did have a 7.3 a few years back, way more dollars intense to keep on the road later in life! I can only speculate, but I bet 6.6 repairs will be through the roof in another 10 years from now.

For $1400,you get power steering, o2 sensors, starter, and a few other things.

The place listed sells bare, long block 6.0s for $700ish

http://lsx4u.com/engines.html

A few things to add to the mix.

How well you treat it and maintain it.

Overall I think either motor will last.

My used 2012 5.3 6 sp. will hopefully last that long. :happysad:

You'd spend 700ish + gaskets + fluids + incidentals + labor to replace a grenaded 6.0 with a 200k mi 6.0?

Why not?

Any LS killing over at that mileage is an oddball. (assuming it was properly cared for)

I really think you're missing the point, and that is, that for minimal $, you can completely repower that truck, as opposed to a diesel, Ecoboost, dohc Coyote, ect.

I'm sure this is what people have said when something new comes out generation after generation. Some people probably still argue against efi?

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Let's be honest,

Modern diesels are not exactly the bastions of reliability they were a decade ago.

I have been debating new trucks for 2yrs now, and after all the info is in, the 6.0 keeps coming out on top.

My goal is for my next truck to last me 15yrs/200,000 relatively free from issues.

6.0 GM is the only thing I forsee doing that.

Both new Ford half tons are unproven. Di, cyl deactivation, start/stop.

New GM half tons probably better, but still long term use is still unknown.

Diesels? Pass. Too much liability for the customer. One bad tank of fuel, and hello $10,000+ new fuel system, that dealer wont warranty, and good luck getting anything from the station that sold you the fuel. Extra filters, 3x oil change cost, ect.

6.0, outside of fuel, will cost no more to own than an older 5.3. No Di, no cyl deactivation.

Engine and trans have been proven to hell and back.

People bring up resale, which is a moot point if I keep it 15yrs.

Basically, the only downside to the 6.0 is fuel mileage. But considering that the dmax is a $10,000 option, I can pay for almost 6YEARS worth of fuel for the 6.0.

Also, anyone with basic tools, and a little ability can eaisly work on this truck.

Lastly, should hell freeze over and the 6.0 completely grenade itself, I can have a solid, used long block back in there for about $700.

There are mountains of used 6.0s.

Try that with ANY OTHER modern vehicle, let alone a diesel.

Thoughts?

I sure agree with this post. I had a seven year warranty on my 08 Duramax and I kept it one year after that warranty expired, I was real nervous about a massive repair bill. I did all my oil and fuel filter maintenance myself and they are expensive. I would open the hood on all my idling diesels and all I could see was a bunch of parts stuffed under the hood and that sound only a diesel mechanic or a trucker could like. I open the hood on my 6.0 gas engine and see a compact small block engine with the sound that made me fall in love with V8 engines over 50 years ago.

I learned to drive on a 1955 Ford pickup with a little overhead valve V8 and I am so happy to be back driving another gas V8. I owned two excellent 7.3 Powestrokes, one infamous 6.0 or the sicko Powerstroke, my incredible 08 Duramax, and now my big sweetheart with the impressive 6.0 Gas engine. If you tow real heavy or drive 50000 miles a year, a diesel is the way to go. For the rest of us the GMC HD trucks with the legendary 6.0 gasser are a fantastic choice.

I've seen many advertisements for used diesel pickups with over 200k on the odo that have been "bulletproofed". What does this service cost, what does it do, and what does it add to resale value?

I've seen many advertisements for used diesel pickups with over 200k on the odo that have been "bulletproofed". What does this service cost, what does it do, and what does it add to resale value?

For a 6.0 Ford, it means a good deal.

For the others, likely means they have full emissions delete. Usually about $2k.

I only hope the GM replacement for the 6.0 gas is as good as the current one - no complaints from me - I've had (3) 25HD's bought new and put over 120,000 on each with minimal maintenance - and zero failures ... !!!

I came to the same conclusion OP. My previous 1500 lasted 16 years and 293K. I originally looked at 1500's this time also, but DI and Cylinder deactivation turned me away. I believe my '16 2500HD 6.0 to be just right for how I use a truck (Construction superintendent). 15 years and 300K will get me through the kids going to college and to retirement. It was the perfect mix for my needs.

right now is kind of like the mid-70s. gov regulations have engineers coming up with economy and emissions patches that work but have suspect reliability. gas hd trucks have somehow eluded scrutiny and thus gm is still using a relatively old tech gasser in their hd trucks. whenever that changes, the hd gas trucks will start to see some of the same issues you see in the half tons and hd diesels.

Archived