GMC oil change Qs

At the dealership I know I get two. Can I provide my own filter? I purchased the microgreen and want to use that. Can I pay to have them do a full synthetic instead of a blend?

Also has anyone ever had an oil change at firestone stations? Do they do other servicing there? It's the only place I see that does pennzoil ultra platinum and outside of QSUD it's what I'm debating using. Curious what their pricing for a change is with 9 quarts.

Also where can you buy a magnetic oil drain plug?

The dealer would love to have you uncharge to full synthetic, especially M1 which is more often than not the full syn they would stock, as they make good margins on stuff like that.

I have not experienced a dealer not using the stuff you bring in for the oil change. The still get to bill for labor, unless it is the freebie oil changes early on.

Magnetic plug is not a bad idea. I do my own changes so I use a Fumoto drain valve on my vehicles, so a magnetic plug is not in my game.

All dealers should be using full synthetic by the end of the month. and no they won't mind if you bring your own filter. They'll just charge out the warranty filter anyways and keep it.

Why not do them yourself at that point?

It is relative. If it is convenient to do so, let the dealer do the 2 free changes. Some of us, it costs us more to get the "free" oil changes than doing them ourselves. In my case, just one of the "free" oil changes actually costs me well over $600. Dealerships around me have the equivalent of bankers hours, so I would have to shut down my business for a morning or afternoon to go get the free oil change. And add to that it is almost an hour... one way... to get to the dealer. But if it is easy to fit in the "free" oil change, then go get it. After all, it isn't "free". You paid for it when you bought the vehicle.

Never miss an opportunity to lay down under your truck. You can always learn something if you just look around.

Provided it's not freezing or raining.

In which case you would still learn something --- you’d just get wet and/or cold in the process.

do my own oil change when I have two free ones and don't have to crawl under there and dispose of it all?

And the two free ones include a filter. That is my point I'm trying to get at. If you want to go out of your way to PAY for a filter and bring it to them, you might as well change it yourself. Absolutely nothing wrong with the AC Delco filter.

Archived