GMC oil change Qs

I used all 4 of my " free" oil changes before I reached 15,000 miles on my 2014 Z71. Hell it just clicked over 17,000 miles this morning. But now I'm going to switch over to full synthetic because I only partly read a post someone posted a day or so ago promising results really advising to do so with test results proving that regular oil is hell on leaving carbon buildup on the back of the valves.

And not to hijack post but .... I have had my AFM turned off for about the last 12/13,000 miles and have not installed a catch can. So... my question is do I need to do a valve cleaning treatment and if so what product is best and I will probably have the dealer do it or is that "no-no" and should I find someone more trustworthy? Thanks in advance.

Scott

I'm an old dude now so as long as it under warranty it goes to the dealer. My toys have synthetic so I go extended on those. I've done amsoil stuff and all the testing that goes with it. The dealers generally don't have a clue on extended except when I had my trailblazer ss then they let that go semi extended on Mobil 1. There's really nothing really all that exciting about changing your own oil unless it's a hassle going to the dealer.

It is relative. If it is convenient to do so, let the dealer do the 2 free changes. Some of us, it costs us more to get the "free" oil changes than doing them ourselves. In my case, just one of the "free" oil changes actually costs me well over $600. Dealerships around me have the equivalent of bankers hours, so I would have to shut down my business for a morning or afternoon to go get the free oil change. And add to that it is almost an hour... one way... to get to the dealer. But if it is easy to fit in the "free" oil change, then go get it. After all, it isn't "free". You paid for it when you bought the vehicle.

X2 DIY if you can...at $40 for 8qts Mobil 1 (5 qt. for $25 Walmart jugs) and $6 for a PF63 you save less than $50 by going to the dealer. Take solace knowing that money is really not for the oil change but for immediate service when you want with no appointment and the piece of mind knowing what is and how much is in the crankcase, that the filter and plug are tightened properly and the threads on the aluminum oil pan haven't been buggered by an air wrench.

I avoid the latter by using Fumoto drain valves on all my vehicles and equipment. No risk of messing up threads, losing a washer, or dropping the plug in the oil pan.

Archived