2017 leveled with Stabilitrak issues

Hey everyone, so I just bought a new '17 1500, it has about 500 miles on it now. I just did a 2" leveling kit and put 275/60R20 BFG KO2s with new rims on it. I absolutely love this truck and how it looks now but, i have started to notice the Stabilitrak engaging the ABS on moderately aggressive around 90 degree turns, mostly left turns but some right turns as well. I did a bunch of searches but all i really found were threads from years ago and all guys with 6"+ lifts and 35s. This doesn't happen every turn and like i said it has to be taken a moderately aggressive speed and a pretty hard turn for it to engage, but its still pretty annoying.

I did an experiment and drove 4, 90 degree turns with everything on, took the turns fairly fast and it kicked in on every turn. Then i took the same turns with just traction control off, and it kicked in on all turns again. Then I held down the button and disengaged Stabilitrak, took the turns, and it never kicked in.

Basically I'm wondering, is there a way to fix this? Is it just the heavier tires and size difference throwing off the Stabilitrak? Has anyone else experienced this as well?

I haven't seen any threads about this topic from leveled guys so I'm hoping theres a simple fix, since it is such a minor level and only 1" tire size change.

Thanks for the feedback!

post-169759-0-08551700-1487992441_thumb.jpeg

Edited by zcusker
  • Like 1

Did you have the truck aligned after the level? By whom?

On these new trucks, there is a re-zeroing procedure that takes a few minutes for the steering angle position sensor any time the front end is adjusted. Sounds to me that whoever did the alignment (if you did one) did not do the reset procedure.

• Like 1

I don't know if i can warranty it cause wouldn't the leveling kit void any warranty work on that?

It was realigned after installation, had all the work done by the dealership but honestly they were a nightmare to work with. The first day that i picked it up, heard a squealing sound when i would turn, got home, looked under the truck and discovered they'd installed the bolts upside down and the threads were pointing up and contacting with the axle on turns and making that squealing sound, so next day i made them fix that.

The tires are load range D and right now they're at 35, checked myself not with the computer in the cab. i feel like that should be good. my door sticker says 35 for the stock standard load tires, so they shouldn't be inflated too much id think.

I hope they just didn't do that re-zeroing procedure cause that should be an easy fix. Im taking it to get realigned this afternoon and hopefully that fixes it.

Edited by zcusker

So had the alignment redone by a different shop and it was off even though my dealer supposably did the alignment a few days ago. But they also told me that the truck did throw U0422 code. The truck does seem better so far so hopefully the new alignment did fix it. But I don't like how the truck threw that code. Will call dealership Monday about the code but they've proved to be basically worthless unfortunately, so we'll see what they say

• 4 weeks later...

zcusker:

Ok, now someone else feels my pain. So I WORK for a GM Dealer. I also have a leveling kit on my 17 Sierra 6.2. I have the EXACT same issue. You aren't gunna like what I have to tell you. So, for 6 months, my GM service department has done the following to my truck all with a whopping 3400 miles on the odometer to remedy this:

-Replaced left front hub-found stuff slung inside it. Didn't fix issue

-Reset Ride control to zero more than 6 times

-Reset Steering angle sensor more than 6 times

-Reset Yaw/Stability sensor more than 6 times

-Per GM Tac line, graphed all 4 ABS sensors while I drove and the tech sat next to me with laptop. All graphed correctly

-Removed leveling kit and put the ACTUAL factory tires BACK on. NO DIFFERENCE MADE! Problem still there

Also, since we have like 10 trucks like this in stock all factory fresh, I DID get ONE of them to do this at FACTORY specs! Also, we have a GM AUTHORIZED truck conversion company that builds HUNDREDS of lifted trucks a year. I have 2 of them in stock NOW. These baby's are 6 Inch TOTAL lift jobs with 35" Humungous tires on them, NEITHER of them do this. I called the company that builds them, they never heard of such a thing EVER and they have build dozens of 17's with full lifts.

So, yes, holding the Stabilitrak/TC button WILL shut off the Stabilitrak(which is for sure your issue, not traction control) HOWEVER, it is set to come BACK on at 30 MPH and your abs module will start activating again. How do you remedy this? Well, you aren't gunna like this, but here's what I had to do 3 months ago. Pull fuse 3 under hood, then you will permanently get Service ABS, Service Stablitrak, Service trailer brake control on EVERY day, AND you WILL NOT HAVE CRUISE control! Same damn fuse. So for 3 months on a $65k truck, I have driven around with NO ABS/Stablitrak/Cruise control because it is actually SAFER than being on the highway exit ramp and having my ABS start pumping my brakes. This concern is DIRECTLY related to Stablitrak and all the inputs that activate Stabilitrak. So, that could mean the Stabilitrak module, ABS sensors/hubs, Yaw sensor, tires, the pitch of the vehicle since it is taller, Ride height control, Ride control reset, etc, etc.

My fine truck also has had to have 2 factory power running boards replaced, windshield(factory defects), right hand mirror replaced, and my THIRD torque converter just arrived today. Yes, 2 torque converters in 3400 miles. Since I work at a GM Dealership, I feel I am being ignored by GM. We have called Tac line many times. Nothing fixes the issue. If you DO find a fix, PLEASE contact me! We will NOT be the only ones having this issue that I can assure you. You are just the second person I have seen with the issue besides myself.

GM employee people, this is an issue. I am an indirect employee of yours. I am being brushed aside. I have been here for over 21 years at the same dealership. I have sold THOUSANDS of GM vehicles. I need answers NOW. I know some of you watch these Forums. Please contact me ASAP! This is unacceptable.

• Like 2

Wow, so much complaining. What do you think a forum is going to do if you work at a dealer and can't get anything done? Thousands of vehicles over 21 years. So roughly 1 just under every two days? That is comfortably above the national average every year, you are a top performer in Wyoming. Are there enough vehicles sold in that state to accommodate those sales figures?

So you and the OP mod a vehicle, it causes issues and you want GM to fix it, hmm. Let us know how that works out for you. Ever hear the saying you have to pay to play? You change the characteristics of a vehicle from factory it can cause issues, not always but it can. GM shouldn't be liable. Why not wait until after the warranty expires? Ah that's right, you want that cool looking lifted truck with aggressive tires and after market wheels on right now, you won't be caught dead driving a stock truck, am I right?

Who ever wrote just take it to the dealer and don't lose sleep on it. Well if something I did to the truck caused issues chances are they would either charge me to fix it, refuse to fix it, or tell me I have to pay a diagnostic fee after they found the issue being what I installed. That is why you don't just "take it to the dealer" because there is a descent chance they would be out of pocket with some money...

Tyler

Wow, so much complaining. What do you think a forum is going to do if you work at a dealer and can't get anything done? Thousands of vehicles over 21 years. So roughly 1 just under every two days? That is comfortably above the national average every year, you are a top performer in Wyoming. Are there enough vehicles sold in that state to accommodate those sales figures?

So you and the OP mod a vehicle, it causes issues and you want GM to fix it, hmm. Let us know how that works out for you. Ever hear the saying you have to pay to play? You change the characteristics of a vehicle from factory it can cause issues, not always but it can. GM shouldn't be liable. Why not wait until after the warranty expires? Ah that's right, you want that cool looking lifted truck with aggressive tires and after market wheels on right now, you won't be caught dead driving a stock truck, am I right?

Who ever wrote just take it to the dealer and don't lose sleep on it. Well if something I did to the truck caused issues chances are they would either charge me to fix it, refuse to fix it, or tell me I have to pay a diagnostic fee after they found the issue being what I installed. That is why you don't just "take it to the dealer" because there is a descent chance they would be out of pocket with some money...

Tyler

wow

Did you not read that like 99% of other trucks dont have this problem? Mine is lifted way higher and doesnt have the problem. A leveling kit and a little bigger tires shouldnt cause this problem. I know MANY MANY people that put leveling kits and slightly bigger tires on their trucks without a problem.

no reason to be a needledick about a problem.

Edited by hondarider94
  • Like 3